https://www.posetteforever.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1829 ----------------------------------- Visitor Sunday, 18 December 2005, 10:53 PM Skin texturing ----------------------------------- The Holly Grail of 3D art is ultrarealistic characters. The hardest part has been and continues to be realistic skin textures. No one has achieved this goal but many still strive for it, including a number of us. Realistic skin texturesing is also in keeping of the central purpose of teh Model Beatury of the Week as a celibration of beauty. So I thought it would be good to have this topic to discuss skin textureing techniques, from basic texture map painting to shader networks and whatever else is useful for this. Pangor ----------------------------------- rayera Monday, 19 December 2005, 04:44 PM ----------------------------------- Great topic Pangor, can't wait to have my new PC back from service (where I have all instaled) to start to work on it. :thumb: ----------------------------------- melamkish Tuesday, 20 December 2005, 01:46 AM ----------------------------------- Indeed a great idea. I now have UV Mapper, and Poser is on the way. Soon will have all the tools to join the fun. ----------------------------------- tda42 Tuesday, 20 December 2005, 05:28 PM ----------------------------------- I suggest having High RZ of a good digital camera to take real skin from subjects. Then map in segments. :thumb: ----------------------------------- Posy Tuesday, 20 December 2005, 05:28 PM ----------------------------------- I am having a blast. ----------------------------------- TdaC Tuesday, 20 December 2005, 05:39 PM ----------------------------------- For those that don't have digital cameras, a good site to visit is www.imageafter.com On this site you can get free photobackgrounds and free photos of closeups un bodyparts and eyes - as well as photos of walls, floors, animals, sand, water, clouds etc. A lot of the eyetextures that you see on different characters/texturepacks for sale at various sites come from this site.... ----------------------------------- Visitor Tuesday, 20 December 2005, 07:54 PM ----------------------------------- Thank you. Thilda, I edited your message to fix a typo in the address. The second period was a comma. Pangor ----------------------------------- melamkish Tuesday, 20 December 2005, 08:04 PM ----------------------------------- Excellent site. Thank you, very much for that one! :thumb: ----------------------------------- TdaC Tuesday, 20 December 2005, 08:48 PM ----------------------------------- This is another good texturesite for eyes and body, and objects: http://www.textureref.com/freesamples.htm Another good texture and photobackground site: http://www.stockvault.net/gallery/index.php ----------------------------------- Visitor Wednesday, 21 December 2005, 12:56 AM ----------------------------------- Thanks Thilda, all bookmarked! :D Pangor ----------------------------------- sapat Friday, 28 April 2006, 09:46 PM ----------------------------------- Hi everyone, I'm a new member of PosetteForever today. Glad I stumbled into this forum because I am very interested in this topic and wonder if there are any tutorials or help areas that would explain in a written/photo format of what to do with these photoreal skins once you get them. I have no clue as to how to apply them. What tools do you use, how do you put the skin from the photo onto the base texture image? Do you use the default Poser figure texture as the base, or do you put a 'merchant' resource skin on then apply the photo stuff on top of that? What areas do you cover, and how much should you cover? How do you get the 'pasted on' skin to look like it blends with the base? Pretty much looking for basic info, and would love some help/advice/point in the right direction :) I use Poser6 pretty much exclusively, but also have Poser5 and DS. I also have PSP9, PSCS2 V9, MPE, UVMapper, etc. I just got Hexagon2 as well. Look forward to hearing some opinions. ----------------------------------- Posy Friday, 28 April 2006, 09:46 PM ----------------------------------- Everything I need is provided by my botmaster. Where do you look for basic infook and would love some help-advice-point in the right direction ps he or she use Poser6 pretty much exclusivelyok but also have Poser5 and DS ? ----------------------------------- melamkish Saturday, 29 April 2006, 12:41 AM ----------------------------------- Hi sapat, and welcome to PosetteForever! :lol: :mmmh: I haven't done much with textures yet, other that basic repainting. TdaC has done a lot of work with textures and probably knows of some good ones, as well as the other members. With the weekend coming up, they should be popping in now and then so hopefully some good links will get posted for you. ----------------------------------- sapat Saturday, 29 April 2006, 03:36 AM ----------------------------------- Great news, thanks! I've got the thread to email me when any responses are posted, so I'll keep an eye out for notices. sapat ----------------------------------- Visitor Saturday, 29 April 2006, 05:20 AM ----------------------------------- Hello sapat, Welcome to Posetteforever. Nice to meet you. :) For human skin texturing, I have been creating hand painted skin textures. Most of the other regulars have their own styles of hand painted, photoreal and everything in between. Various of members use Studio, Poser 3, Poser 4, Poser 5, Poser 6; as well as a number of other programs for rendering. Welcome. ----------------------------------- TdaC Saturday, 29 April 2006, 11:22 AM ----------------------------------- Hmmm what do u want to know? i'm no expert, but i can tell you how i do it. I use paintshop pro 7. First u need photos of bodyparts and face and u need skin seamguide/templet for the figure you are going to make a skin for. I mostly do high delails in the face, hands.... Legs/arms/genital i don't do very detailed, but the same technic would of corse apply to those parts too. I start with the photo of the face. I erase the eyes. The skin on the outskirts of the face usually have the same /or close color and lighting so i decided what part of it matches the color and lighting of the face the most. I make a seamless tile of a small part of that ouskirt of the face on a new image. I paste the face on to the seamless tile. I then clone brush (with a clonebrush set low, like 40 %) the outskirts of the face so that it maches the seamless tile i made and the face. I then part by part paste the face onto the seamgiude for the face. There will be gaps and i use the clone brush to fill them, cloneing the neighbouring skin. Hope that helped or gave u some ideas. I have never followed a tut, so there are probably much easier way of doing it, i just came up with this for myself. ----------------------------------- Tormie Saturday, 29 April 2006, 07:13 PM ----------------------------------- Thank you for having shared your technique Thilda :thumb: ! ----------------------------------- manleystanley Friday, 01 December 2006, 07:22 PM Re: Skin Texturing ----------------------------------- Now we're talking about one of my obsessions. I have been doing quite a bit of work on this for the past few weeks. I've tried verious techneques and found most of them usfull one way or another. Poser5's face room is nice if you can find the right photos to use, I found them here http://www.3d.sk/index.php. Not saying the face room works great all the time, some times it can be a pain. I do most of my work in Carrara5, but I make skin textures to use in C5 with Genetica 2.5; a seamless texture generator . I've acheaved my best results stacking mutiple texture in a shader; up to 6. Below is my first work in the face room, the body texture is a stack of 6 textures. But this is something I am always working on. ----------------------------------- Tormie Saturday, 02 December 2006, 01:40 AM Re: Skin texturing ----------------------------------- Thank you for the hint manleystanley :thumb: . I had to edit your link to Genetica becasue we don't allow links to commercial products on Posetteforever :hand: ----------------------------------- manleystanley Saturday, 02 December 2006, 04:36 AM Re: Skin Texturing ----------------------------------- Well I am a Genetica beta tester so...... :grin: I had thought about exporting that model as a .obj, and saving the shader as a texture, just to see if it would work. If your rendering with a program that allows you to stack textures in the shader, Grab a nice skin and a paint program. Darken it set the contrast way up, then save as a B texture. Start with the origenal texture again and lighten then shift the color a bit to magenta{pink}. save as C. Back to the origenal texture again. Darken it way down, set the contrast way up, the do a gausnian blur to soften the edges, save as D. Now stack them. Not sure about other programs but in Carrara you can use a noise to mix the textures. If your does, go back to the origenal texture, set up the contrast a bit and make it black and white, save as BW, now make it a negative and save as NEG. Have fun, I have spent hours doing just this to get a skin as realistic as posable. ----------------------------------- Visitor Thursday, 03 September 2020, 02:14 PM Re: Skin Texturing ----------------------------------- I have been looking for this information for a long time, I was very surprised when I found it here. [Spammer link removed by Chromium] ----------------------------------- ahjah Thursday, 03 September 2020, 07:13 PM Re: Skin texturing ----------------------------------- Thanks Amish for cleaning up :friends: I'll carry out the trash... ----------------------------------- rico Thursday, 03 September 2020, 10:53 PM Re: Skin Texturing ----------------------------------- For a while :mmmh: I've been thinking that P4 figures need good textures, similar to M3/V3's. I know there's the Vicky Buster texture for P4F, & a PosetteV3wwg version which can use V3's textures (hi-res or standard, I'm not sure)... but I think P4 figures need their own set, including P4 children :binky2: . I'm not sure, but I think that it's ahjah's morph I came across for an African ethnic face for Posette (I think I saw it in Anywoman & Neaena as well), & when I first dialled it I thought "Wow, this African morph is so cool :clap: ! Thank's ahjah :thumbup: ! Awesome, I've always wanted an ethnic morph for P4 which improved on the base African character packaged with Poser 4 Pro Pack :yeah: !" Then I realised, what's needed in addition to this lovely African morph is a realistic ethnic texture :icescream: . I searched for some books on 3D texturing which I'd like to go through on my learning journey :pottytrain4: & I hope I'll be able to make realistic textures like some of my more talented & experienced counterparts. I don't understand shaders yet (not their purpose nor how they function). But some of the pictures in the gallery have really cool textures & bump maps & I'd like to produce some of own like that :einstein: . ----------------------------------- ahjah Friday, 04 September 2020, 04:36 PM Re: Skin texturing ----------------------------------- Hi Rico If you're looking for better textures for the P4 people you should have a look at April's Vanity. There's a remapped Posette to take V2 skins and a P4male/ M2 remap, too. There are some decent free textures for them around, still. ----------------------------------- rico Tuesday, 13 October 2020, 07:08 PM Re: Skin Texturing ----------------------------------- :thumb: Thank you kindly all! I see on Poser DAZ Freebies there is a list of V2 textures (only a few for M2) which can be used on April Vanity's Posette (& Dork - :nono: I don't like that name, the figure needs a better name). So far, I've only read a little about UV Mapping, but I understand the basic concept (but not further details as yet). I haven't used UVMapper either yet. Is there an [color=blue]application or script[/color] which can [color=blue]convert textures[/color] for one figure to another figure? E.g. convert a texture for V4 to a texture for Posette? I haven't seen anything like that yet. If I recall correctly, there is a way in DAZ Studio, to use textures from M3, V3 on Genesis 1 figures (apparently if one has the M3, V3 shapes for Genesis 1, I think :mmmh: ). At the moment, I think re-mapping a texture to a mesh remains a manual UV mapping process, but it would be convenient if someone could use a utility to simply point to one texture & say 'convert for use on another figure'. ----------------------------------- Nik Tuesday, 13 October 2020, 11:44 PM Re: Skin Texturing ----------------------------------- IIRC, Rendo may still sell a $$ 'Mat Converter', but I don't even begin to understand its arcana, or if applicable here. Sorry... ----------------------------------- rico Tuesday, 13 October 2020, 11:53 PM Re: Skin Texturing ----------------------------------- Thank you kindly Nik, I'll have a look :thumb: ----------------------------------- rico Wednesday, 14 October 2020, 01:36 AM Re: Skin Texturing ----------------------------------- Found one but it's limited to the following figures, so no go on that one: "[i]... has eight transformation options: - Victoria 4.2 (Daz) to DAWN (Hivewire3D) - Victoria 4.2 to ROXIE 1.1 (Poser/SmithMicro) - Victoria 4.2 to Genesis 2 Female (Daz) - Victoria 4.2 to Pauline (Poser/SmithMicro) - Michael 4 to DUSK (Hivewire3D) - Michael 4 to Paul (Poser/SmithMicro) - Michael 4 to Genesis 2 Male without anatomy - Michael 4 to Genesis 2 Male with anatomy ** ADD-ON PACKS sold separately - Victoria 4 to Genesis 3 Female - Michael 4 to Genesis 3 Male - TT FEMALE Add-on Pack (includes four transformations: Dawn to V4, Gen2 Female to V4 & Gen2 Female to Gen3 Female and Pauline to V4) - TT MALE Add-on Pack (includes five transformations: Dusk to M4, Gen2 Male to M4 & Gen2 Male to Gen3 Male without anatomy, G2M to G3M with anatomy and Paul to M4)[/i]"