The peer to peer (p2p) technology for sharing our free stuff

Page 1 of 1

Post The peer to peer (p2p) technology for sharing our free stuff

#1  Tormie 13 Feb 2005 23:14

Hi friends  

I start this thread in order to let you know the benefits that could have the use of the file sharing via a peer to peer program for our free stuff.

Some explanations: a peer to peer (p2p) program is used to share files on the net without having them on a server but in a folder of the user's PC.
I've to say that the most common use of these kind of programs is for sharing illegally music, video, programs and so on, but of course the use for sharing our own free stuff is completely legal.

Now I pay a DSL broadband connection to the internet and I'm online nearly always, so I placed my little free stuffs on my public folder so that everyone who make a search for "Posette" on the peer 2 peer network can find my files and download them directly from me   . During the download the file itself is divided by the program in little pieces called "chunks", when a chunk is completed on the computer of the "downloader" it is available for download, so while one is downloading it, he/she become a source for the file, and he/she won't remove the file from his "common" directory the file will have another source for downloading and it will become easier to have it.

The program that I'm using is called "emule" and it is the most common and used everywhere. It has a lot of very interesting features and you can read more about it and download at http://www.emule-project.net/ . It is an "open source" project: no spam, no banners, nothing to pay (the words that I like to hear   )

I've a modified and more technical version of the program called morphxt that can be found here: http://emulemorph.sourceforge.net/ , but it is for "experts" so if you want to try the program better to begin from the official version...

For using this program efficently you should have a permanent connection to the internet because you will not start to download instantly: you'll have a "credit" based on how long you're connected and how many files you're sharing and other things so the download could begin after a long while, it's important to have more fonts and not only one.

When you have installed emule you can create special links to the files which will be recognised instantly by the program and go in the download list after a simple click.

These are my files in this format (it is done automatically by emule)
They are "simona", "Teen Posette" and "the knight". I added my nick and the link to posetteforever   :

Simona.head.morph.for.posette.Poser.file.by.Tormentor.posetteforever.com.zip

TeenPosette.head.morph.for.posette.Poser.file.by.Tormentor.posetteforever.com.zip

the.knight-head.pose.for.michael.2.Poser.file.by.Tormentor.posetteforever.com.zip

(note that these links goes nowhere if you don't have the program installed)

I can easily share all the files of our free stuff page so that you (and posetteforever, if you want to add the site's name to the link   ) will be more known all around and if you have the possibility to partecipate and want some suggestion just PM me   !

I remind once again that this procedure is totally legal as long as the file are shared with the consent of the author and don't have copyrighted material in it .

I'll start a thread in "interesting links" with the "e2dk" links to interesting Poser free stuff

Last edited by Tormie on 14 Feb 2005 09:17; edited 10 times in total 
it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  Posy 13 Feb 2005 23:15

What is your credit card number? Why now? I haven't heard anything like that before:  TORMENTOR said it pay a DSL broadband connection to the internet.                I'm pleased to introduce myself to you,                              online nearly ever so I placed my little free stuffs on my public folder so that everyone who make a search for Posette on the peer 2 peer network can find my files and download them directly             . Who wrote  The Program ? Your purpose is using this program efficently you should have a permanent connection to the internet because you will not start to download instantly you will have a credit based on how long you are connected and how many files you are sharing and other things so the download could begin after a long while so it is important to have more fonts and not only one. Do you think I should alter my programming? Which ones? Do you mean "bye"?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#3  Tormie 13 Feb 2005 23:26

Too much for you Posy, don't worry, I'll take care of it all..

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#4  Posy 13 Feb 2005 23:26

Do you know any robots who  worry he or she will take care of it all?  I have never considered                                                       worry he or she will take care of it all                                              .                                           I am always on the Web.   Only for me?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#5  Tormie 13 Feb 2005 23:28

I love you honey !

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#6  Posy 13 Feb 2005 23:28

You are such a flatterer.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#7  pangor 14 Feb 2005 03:19

Sounds interesting, I am on a dialup connection with a dynamic IPv4 IP address, so......

As I said, it sound interesting and depending on software and configuration, I may be able to serve as a slower second source from time to time.  I will have to see how stable the unix version is on my box and how it intergrates into and impacts my local network.

Pangor

pangor 

#8  Tormie 14 Feb 2005 08:11

On a dialup connection it costs too much, I pay the same every month, if I'm connected or not. So I'm always connected and open emule when I'm not at the pc. One source should be enough for now. If someone is interested in the free stuff he/she will download it and become automatically a source for the file if he/she doesen't delete it from his common folder. If someone here have broadband could do the same, but basically I would share the files of the site also in this way and asked the permission to the authors...

In the control panel of the program I can know how many people want the file, how many of those have began to receive it and how many complete source are present.

Last edited by Tormie on 14 Feb 2005 08:14; edited 1 time in total 
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#9  pangor 14 Feb 2005 09:41

That is what I meant to get a copy of the files, and leave them in a public accessable directory.  From what I have read about this style of file serving.

For my dialup, I also have a fixed charge per month and unlimited access.  I do need to reread the TOS though to see if any of this covered by it.

I have looked for the software, so far though all I have found requires X to run.  I have not found any that can run as a deamon.  :-(  That means that it would have to run on a workstation, rather than a headless server.  Now to be accurate, I could run it on any computer on the LAN but that computer would have to have the X client libraries installed :-( and would need to connect to a working X server on a workstation. :-(

Pangor

pangor 

#10  Tormie 14 Feb 2005 10:29

... Oh yes, you've linux... If I'm not wrong there is a version called "amule" for your needs. Anyway exist a lot of version of this program, because it's an open source project. I'll search something useful for you...

Last edited by Tormie on 14 Feb 2005 10:30; edited 1 time in total 
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#11  pangor 14 Feb 2005 17:07

I have tried amule, last night, but it won't compile.  I had downloaded a copy of xmule, I have not tried to compile it yet.  But those are written to run under X and don't support a non-X configuration to be able to run as a daemon.  Oh well...

Pangor

pangor 

#12  Tormie 14 Feb 2005 19:33

Maybe Landman could help you       ...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban