It's Alive. Alive!

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post It's Alive. Alive!

#1  GrouchoCaesar 21 Apr 2007 23:47

Seeing Futura (which I think really *is* the name of a car by Ford, but oh, well) got me to thinking that it's all very well having a robot... but what about the lab?

So I decided to whip up a few items in 3D MAX and (hopefully) convert them for Poser use.

I have the tools. I have the technology. (I don't have six million dollars, but I'm pretty sure I can build 'em better, faster, stronger...)

This is a really quick prototype of what I mean.  Forgive the roughness, it's just put out here to gain some ideas from you all before I start serious meddling... er.. modelling.

I may need help when texturing, but the neat part about going all Art Deco is that it's mostly chrome and plastics anyway!

(I hope to add a bunch of Strickfaden devices if I can model then as well.  Good thing I own "Young Frankeinstein" on DVD...)

Any comments... or am I as mad as the scientests?

GrouchoC.

Last edited by GrouchoCaesar on 04 May 2007 22:19; edited 1 time in total 
new_zealand.png GrouchoCaesar Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: It's Alive. Alive!

#2  tda42 22 Apr 2007 02:04

Hey your family and sick minds have to stay together.   The cool thing about all of this is we are doing it as a team here. So if you have any ideas you know I'm listening as well as the others. Good jog by the way.

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#3  Whazizname 22 Apr 2007 06:14

Here's something ( not so much an idea, as something to consider):

What is Futura's (yes, that was a model by Ford...) power source? Considering the "Young Frankenstien" reference, I wondered if she is electric.

usa.png Whazizname Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 5290
Lemons 3860
hearts 101

#4  GrouchoCaesar 22 Apr 2007 06:17

Something about Futura sparked (no pun intended) an urge to do a little modelling...

My inspiration also comes from Metropolis, of course, as well as the Universal monster movies of the '30s.  In particular the wonderfully baroque electrical devices designed by Kenneth Strickfaden for Frankenstein. Plus the style of design to be seen on '30s and '40s SF magazines. And Star Wars.

(And Bettie Page. And in a great, great example of confluence... try looking at this!)

Happy Shiny People...!

Having got the encouragement, I'll continue my puttering around.  Expect a lot of industrial-sized electrical toys.

GrouchoC.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

#5  Tormie 22 Apr 2007 06:56

Good Job Mad scientist cat   !!

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#6  GrouchoCaesar 22 Apr 2007 09:00

This is a (very) rough outline for the layout of the lab.  Please note that this is just the prototype for the main gantry and creation chamber.  There will also be massive electrical generators and such stuff. on the bottom level (and obviously a room to house the whole furshlugginer mess in...)

I think the creation chamber would come up from the ground floor on a hydraulic pedastal.  The assembly table, main generators and workshop would also be at ground level.

On the gantry ring itself would be a control panel to control the generators during the final creation phase... I'm assuming the lab can do both organic and inorganic Creation!

From under the main stairway would swing up a bridge to cross from the gantry to the booth while it was still elevated if need be.

Things I'm aware of that definitely need to be modelled include guard rails for the gantry and the booth, proper steps, control panels, nice thick power cables for the three generator pylons, a room to hold all this in, the hydraulic lift well... but it's heading towards winter Down Under so it's not as if I don't have the free time in the evenings coming up!

My only real concerm is getting enough detail without going nuts on the polygon count.  Everything will be broken down into individual componets for ease of UV mapping.

Once (if...) finished, I'll be placing it for upload here as a freebie for all wannabe Victor Frankensteins... (or Morbius's, Rottwangs, Dr Cyclops's or Strangeloves...)

I'll start proper modelling from the booth, and work my way outwards.  Each piece will be uploaded for crash-testing to destruction...!  Any and all comments, suggestions, criticisms are welcome.

GrouchoC.

Last edited by GrouchoCaesar on 04 May 2007 22:22; edited 1 time in total 
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

#7  ahjah 22 Apr 2007 20:24

Mad scientists, mad mechanics, mad designers, mad cats... everyones welcome to madforever     

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#8  tda42 23 Apr 2007 00:45

This is so cool! I looked at the female robot and it seems like maybe I could do one of those as well.
The model idea looks great. I would like to make a charging dock after she is built in the lab. She is half human
but doesn' understand that. I need to make a story of her and how she cane to be. This I would think be in
the 1940s but set in the future 100 years ahead. So this seems like a great thing we are making. It was a belief
that some people saved Sara from going under and this when complete will be one of a kind with all that has helped.
Now I have to go to the lab. I thought I heard something knock over a test tube.

...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#9  JanReinar 23 Apr 2007 03:16

Amazing 3D work GrouchoCaesar!              

blank.gif JanReinar Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

#10  GrouchoCaesar 23 Apr 2007 04:25

First part of the Lab Of Tomorrow (catchy name, huh?) should be uploaded for playtesting sometime tomorrow-morning my time. (hey, it really is the Lab Of Tomorrow!)

Already finished remodelling the creation booth from scratch, this time paying proper attention to things like material surfaces. (Outer, inner and the lip where the glass shield (is is glass?) seals up.)

I've also finished the main pillar the booth rests on. The electrical discharge receiver assembly on the roof of the booth is next - I'll make several versions for ease of mix & matching, and once that's done, up here it'll all come.

Exporting from 3D MAX to Poser works surprisingly well with the .OBJ exporter plugin from Hab.  The one frustration I have had is an issue with smoothing groups.  Working on it... though I may need some more research and / or help.

As for the backstory...

I dunno if this stuff classifies as SteamPunk - I guess it'd be closer to some form of retro-future.  A late '30's early 40's look is definitely the aim here for me at least.  One of the major driving influences for all this is the 1939-1940 New York World's Fair... especially the Futurama ride by General Motors.  There is quite a bit of stuff on the net about the Fair, including amateur colour movie footage of the exhibits.

It is amazing to think of what the future was like for them!

I also think a charging dock is a really good idea!  Maybe a throne (for lack of a better word) where she can rest while not active.  And this brings forth questions like...

Is she a maid?  Is she sentient?  Is she happy?  Is she being taken advantage of?  Are robots now the new slaves?  And if so, who will help them? Or will they rebel?

GrouchoC.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

#11  GrouchoCaesar 23 Apr 2007 05:27

Quick example of the booth imported into Poser 5.

Note that the electrical doodads on the top are temporary, that the booth has been scaled from it's original shape for no good reason, and that I'm still fiddling with smoothing groups.  But at least it does import the mesh without too much hassle.

Work continues into the night... now to find my very own Ygor...

GrouchoC.

Last edited by GrouchoCaesar on 04 May 2007 22:24; edited 1 time in total 
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

#12  JanReinar 23 Apr 2007 12:52

Cool!        

blank.gif JanReinar Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

#13  GrouchoCaesar 24 Apr 2007 00:09

Updated look at progress so far...

Gantrey is next target.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

#14  GrouchoCaesar 24 Apr 2007 02:48

This just in: New improved Gantry delivered earlier this morning. Both mother and 85-tonne torus are doing well...

I've decided to hang off uploading most of this stuff until I've finished the main Laborotory - because of object sizing issues when importing items piecemeal into Poser.  Also, I want to reload Poser Pro onto my PC and use that to do the preliminary texturing so as to have the greatest compatibility. I will upload the creation chamber pretty soon though.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

#15  tda42 24 Apr 2007 07:36

I think this is really great work you are doing. The whole thing is a spirit of SciFi and Horror movies from gone by, I miss the B rated Movies. They seemed simple but didn't explode todays way of just bells and whistles. It had a good story and left the mind to play with the rest. You have great ideas.  

...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910