Looking For A 3D Editor...

Page 1 of 1

Post Looking For A 3D Editor...

#1  Nik 25 Jan 2008 13:03

Okay, I've tried Wings3D, Anim8tor, and now Carrara5, and none will do what I want...

Wings3D interface gave me a migraine...

Anim8tor is intended for Artists, lacks the numerical control I'm used to from TurboCAD.

Carrara will NOT freely edit OBJ imports, is unable to lock or layer components as I'm used to from TurboCAD...

Yes, I edited those Taruru boots in Carrara, but that was Beginner's Luck: I cannot repeat what I did. I cannot edit the Boot or other Poser OBJ at all !! There are no error messages, no 'SPLINE Object' warning, no nothing. Just no menus. Worst part is, as in Anim8tor, I CAN create and edit the internal primitives...

Okay, I need some advice...

I do NOT want fancy renders, animation, scene setting etc etc.

I just want precise 3D editing of OBJ meshes, with lockable objects and layers, and vertices I can change manually or numerically. Also, I want to be able to select points and create new facets from them...

Booleans would be nice, TurboCAD had object addition / subtraction and slicing.

Ideas ??

Alternative is to convert OBJ to 3DS, and work in TurboCAD. Unfortunately, that will strip material and other settings...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Looking For A 3D Editor...

#2  tda42 25 Jan 2008 15:33

For Booleans the simplest way would be bryce. But Hexagon 2.1  does booleans as well and pretty much what your asking for Nik. Hope this helps.

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#3  tda42 25 Jan 2008 15:49

But what I have pointed out is the cheaper of the modelers and landscapers. If you want the thing for the Pro then 3DS Studio MAX would be it. But then again who has $3.500 dollars to blow in this day in age.

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#4  GrouchoCaesar 25 Jan 2008 21:06

Amen to that.  3DS MAX is a great modeller.  I know, because I use it.  I just don't know for how much longer I can...

I have a very old version - MAX 3.1.  It was bought as a student (so was a lot more affordable) a long time ago, when pixels were steam-driven and mice had to be feed by hand, but it works for what I want very, very well.

BUT:  It comes with a dongle you have to stick in the parallel port to prove you own it.  (Almost said Centronics Port - now THAT is showing my age...) Try finding a new PC with a Parallel Port these days.  I've done some experiments with a PCI card with a parallel port, but the dongle seems to have issues with that.

So, I'm not about to spend more cash on a newer version, and I have to hope my next PC works with it.  It's come to the point that I've been sourcing replacement Intel 845BVG motherboards online to buy as a backup.

In the meantime, I've been looking hard at Blender... If the worse happens, that's what I'll be migrating to.

GrouchoC.

(One other thought:  have you considered looking at trueSpace from Caligari? - it's fairly mature, and version 3.2 is available as a free download from Caligari's websight.  It has a lot of import-export options and a thriving 3rd-party scene including various plug-ins.  There is also gameSpace Light, which may also be of interest as a modeller.)

new_zealand.png GrouchoCaesar Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

#5  Nik 26 Jan 2008 01:58

Thanks for those suggestions !

I'd found the Caligari 3 link, but I've down-loaded Blender to try...

Um, AND Python, because I did not realise it was bundled in zip, AND the MS run-time, ditto: I'm so glad I'm not on dial-up !!

Okay, Blender is a bit overwhelming, but the 'feel' is a bit like 2D gimp, and the icon-menus now support non-eidetic non-pianists with middle-aged eyes...

D'uh, despite three decades of using computers, I've never learned to touch-type-- The *only* hot-key chord I can play is Ctrl-Alt-Del !!

I think my first priority is to craft an 'environment' that looks half-way familiar, with CAD-like orthogonal & perspective views in multiple windows. At least the program quick-start PDF says up-front that you move and edit objects in different parts of program. That has the distinct advantage that a Poser OBJ should *stay put* as a whole while I'm pushing mesh vertices about. And, yes, Blender has layers. Quite how they work is another matter...

Could be I'm getting too old for this game... Or, perhaps, I should despair of trying to *understand* what I'm doing, and switch to dynamic clothes in P7 ??

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#6  Tormie 26 Jan 2008 09:53

If you want to play with 3d models and conforming clothes it's a game that worth be played, For the final result I prefer dynamic clothes, but, however, you can even make some dynamic clothes, I bet that they are simpler, at least, they are simple props....

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts MatPose editor rayera Interesting links 5 07 Feb 2006 00:56 View latest post

Page 1 of 1