Hello, New Member With First Morph Tutorial Results

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post Re: Hello, New Member With First Morph Tutorial Results

#16  Endosphere 09 Oct 2008 09:47

Ahjah wrote:

Quote:
An other way to avoid copyright problems is to distribute a "crippled" .obj.
If you export an obj from Poser or most other 3D apps, the exported file contains parts of copyrighted mesh.
If you open the .obj in a text editor, simply delete all the lines starting with "V". Poser itself dont need this lines to make it work as a morph, but other applications will fail loading it cos there's no actual mesh.
I'm using this method for ditribution of single morphs. For morph sets, I prefere a "container" cr2, as you described above.

I was trying to research this issue today as I had a texture set and face morph for vanilla Posette I wanted to share with everyone, but I don't think I understand what has been written about how to legally distribute a morph target.

The morph target for the head that I have was made only by adjusting parameter dials from several figures (Ultramorph Woman, etc) in Poser, no magnets or external programs were used.  When I had the head shape I wanted, I spawned a new morph target, set all the other dials to zero except the new morph, and exported Posette's head as an obj (in the Poser 4 export box the only box I had checked was "as morph target").  So now I have an obj file containing the morph target (I tested it by loading other Posettes and loading it as a morph, it works fine) and all the head geometry (the obj is around 500kb at the moment, so it obviously has way too much unnecesary stuff in it).

I opened up a few other morph target objs I have downloaded in the past in a text editor (MS wordpad), including one by ahjah available in the free stuff area, and I see that they all contain only lines starting with "V" whereas the obj morph I made has v lines and all kinds of other lines like vt, vn, and many materials that have f lines.  Based on this it seems to me that in the text editor I should delete everything except the v lines, but since I don't know what I'm doing and have very little experience editing obj files perhaps someone can set me straight about what to do.

The only other info I was finding in a web search of the issue either dealt with making mor poses (wouldn't work in this case as it's a new morph as I understand things) or using external programs to make morphs, which seems unnecessary since the morph is already made.

Thanks

Endosphere

p.s. Just to clarify, I'm talking about Metacreations' Poser 4's original Posette and not any newfangled commercial models.  I'm positive all the morphs used in composing the new morph were free items because a) other than purchasing Poser 4 long ago I've never bought anything else; there's not a single purchased commercial Poser file on my hard drive, and b) I am now and have always been extremely conscientious about not downloading anything that even smells like warez.  I was just now searching the forum at Renderosity, and while I couldn't find a single thread useful for how to do this (there were many that said "Check out the great tutorial at Morphworld," but of course Morphworld doesn't exist anymore) there were about a thousand threads composed by lawyers about the fine points of what is not allowed with their precious commercial models.

Last edited by Endosphere on 09 Oct 2008 11:25; edited 1 time in total 
blank.gif Endosphere Gender: Male
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 490
Lemons 202
hearts 15

• Back to top Page bottom

#17  Posy 09 Oct 2008 09:47

Hmm. Why now? Where did you get obj file containing the morph target he or she tested it by loading other Posettes and loading it as a morph it works fine and all the head geometry the obj is around 500kb at the moment so it obviously has way too much unnecesary stuff in it ?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#18  Endosphere 09 Oct 2008 09:56

I made the obj file, Posy.  You don't need this obj file, because you are already very pretty.

Endosphere

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 490
Lemons 202
hearts 15

#19  Posy 09 Oct 2008 09:56

Do you  need this obj file because you are already very pretty?  If I had this obj file because you are already very pretty what would I do with it?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#20  Endosphere 09 Oct 2008 10:00

I don't need the obj file for myself.  If you had the obj file you could start a charity group to help homely posettes.  I think that would be a nice thing for you to do.

Endosphere

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 490
Lemons 202
hearts 15

#21  ahjah 09 Oct 2008 17:01

Hi endosphere
Yes, I made a mistake don't DELETE the V lines, KEEP them (don't forget to keep the original file as a backup, just in case...)

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#22  Endosphere 10 Oct 2008 03:15

It's no big deal, ahjah.  It seemed like things weren't adding up for me on how to do this so that's why I resurrected this thread.

For future reference, if anyone wants information on how to distribute morph targets the right way, I finally found a very detailed explanation.  Go to the free Internet Wayback Machine (here) and search for the now nonexistent article from Morphworld called "Morph Squishing" (use www.morphworld30.com/tutorials/squishing.html in the Wayback Machine).  The article has all the necessary info.  However, from what I was reading at another site site yesterday if you have a morph for any character made by that company that starts with "D" you'd better hire a team of lawyers and engineers to review your morph before sharing it with anyone.

Endosphere

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 490
Lemons 202
hearts 15

#23  tda42 10 Oct 2008 03:32

Here you go. I thought I would help Endosphere out with the link. A really great learning tool as well as fined.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020214.../squishing.html

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546