Goto page Previous  1, 2

Subject: Re: Dusting Off The Archives
I'm curious to see how easy it is to build (relatively) simple things in Max and bring them into Poser without having to fiddle about too much.

I've done it before (I spy my "Lab Of Tomorrow" high on a shelf waiting to be dusted off sometime soon...) but only with non-realistic items. The set I want to build is by no means complex, but it is based on an actual location, so it's not going to be a case of "fudge the details a little - no-one knows what it looks like anyway...".

Rats... can't find my home architecture software. That puts a kink in my plan... for now. So I think I'll build & dress the set with freebies from the net and replace each item as I build my own.

Of course that means I'll end up with something like this:

And yes, that's more or less the correct color scheme for the walls & curtains... (shudders):

Still, I'll keep working at it...

Quick update: Still pottering away at the temporary set...

(I'm working at my family's orange grove for the next few weeks picking fruit, a job that is wholly weather-dependent, so there are some days I don't get to touch my PC... dammit. Later on I'll be staying at the grove for days at a time (Family grove is a little outside the city) so I'm going to install Windows on my Mac (shudder) so I can continue playing with Poser when not at home.)

And then there is the matter of my archives. I've been downloading Poser stuff off the net since the late '90s & squirreling it away for later use. It's now later. And I didn't realize exactly how much stuff I had.

And then there is the whole massive chunk of props & stuff I forgot I bought... until I found them sitting in a long-ignored folder when I finally fired up Willow (my workstation PC) to update her before I get into serious design & render mode. I had to check my account with DAZ to figure out exactly what I had purchased. Most of the stuff turns out to be freebies. The bulk of the rest was me playing catch-up with Victoria 2 stuff when they had a big sale... I still like working with Posey's big sister.

Hoo-boy...

Suffice it to say, I'm going to have to do some major sorting of stuff into categories. I've been making inroads into the piles of data over the last couple of days.

And finally, I've been slowly sorting out a MASSIVE pile of Bettie Page images - removing duplicates, and sorting out the many, many different photo-shoots and costumes. It beats working for a living... Oh, wait... damn it.

It sounds like you're making great progress GC.

It's good to see what you've done so far too, it's very good.

Though as always we are our own biggest critic, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Profile PM  
A quick update, one month in...

My little detour into my downloaded content archives turned out to take a lot longer than I expected due to the sheer amount of stuff in there. 20,000+ Poser-specific items taking up 95Gb. And that's while uninstalled.

Add to that another 5Gb+ of Max files, .obj files and other general mayhem... Gosh.

Most is now sorted into categories, indexed and recorded....

...work continues. Am I having fun yet?

:D Sounds like you made a backup of the WWW :lmao: :thumb:

Max itself has its on rigging and unless you use Fusion it will go in there kind of weird. Now if you make a model and send it to Poser you will have to make the targets and maps for it and assign the parts. 3DS Max is a Pro side and should always be looked at it that way. You have to use a Bypid system or re rig in Max. The same goes with Poser. Don't know if that helps or not but I went to school with Autodesk 3DS Max.

Profile PM  
I have Poser Pro & Pro 2010, so I'll be going with Fusion. Not that it really matters all that much in that I'm not one for animation so rigging is not an issue. I'll be keeping to Poser as much as possible for these experiments in any case.

Another quick update...

Surprisingly still eager to play with Poser. But... spent the last two & a bit months dealing with Real Life in general, and selling my house in particular.

Happy to say, house is now sold and I can get back into the play-pen...

Stay tuned...

:thumb: Good to hear :hug2:

Staying tuned...

Profile PM  
So am I. Love your work Groucho! :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

Profile PM  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2