Subject: Maconverter
Hi,
I'm using Poser 4 on Mac OS9 does anyone know where I can get a copy of MartinC's Maconverter
so I can use a lot of the freebies for Posette and other's. I have searched everywhere on the net but no luck.

Christopher.

Profile PM  
Subject: Re: Maconverter
Hi !

I've just done a deep-search, too. Martin C's website 'soft rabbit' is gone, and he'd set 'no robots' so the WayBack Machine shows no cache. A German mirror is also gone.

I have not checked eg SourceForge.

IIRC, MC's 'classic' MaConvertor would not work on OS after 9.

I've done some hunting about, cannot determine if 'maconvertor' functionality was built in to any later Poser Mac version, as some 7~8~9~10 are available from eg Amazon...

Snag is some are OS 10+ only, will not work on OS 9...

Also, given that Poser's ownership has changed several times, some versions are too old to register or re-register, though their serial number may count towards an upgrade...

Don't you hate it when companies trumpet 'improvements' without tabulating what else their programs can do ? Or list compatible file extensions by program, without the complementary alphabetical list of file-types ?? Or mention that only 'object' files are compatible, but the same file-type is used for scenes ?? But a complex 'object' may be saved as a 'scene'...
D'uh...

If you draw blank here, may I suggest posting queries on Smith Micro and Renderosity etc forums ??

Nik

Profile PM  
Hi scouter :hi:
Sorry to say no luck here, too. I never used anything Mac, so I didn't download the tool way back, and I'm sure I don't have it in my backups.

Thank you for your reply's I will try posting on Renderosity or even Daz3D surely someone must have a backup of it somewhere I can find lots of reference to it on the net but not the actual program.
If I ever find a copy I will post it on here.

Christopher.

Profile PM  
https://www.Renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2920654

I've posted a query on R**y, but no replies yet.

IIRC, the program was shareware, so no issues there...

Profile PM  
Nik, thank you for your help I'm keeping my fingers crossed you get a reply.

Christopher.

Profile PM  
You're welcome ! I've become quite good at data-mining and virtual archaeology, and the hunt can be fun...

I was out of Poser for a decade due a Spring electrical storm and a batch of bad HDDs. Oh, and FloorPlan, my preferred building design program, had switched to an 'engine' that was not back-compatible with previous versions or plans. Or my neat recipe for crafting my own doors, windows etc.

Sounds incredible, but the company had 'fallen out' out with its sub-contracted coding team over x64 re-write costing, called their bluff, licensed a totally new core, look & feel etc.

For nearly three years, we were promised a plan conversion utility. Eventually, that promise was quietly dropped. I tried the new version, but it was much less flexible than the old. It lacked the 'loopholes' I'd exploited to 'plug in' my own doors, windows, fire-places etc. While I was still deciding how to progress my sprawling Medieval-ish project, my CAD Tower took that hit, died by inches, destroying my Poser Runtime, all my work-in-progress and my recent back-ups...

A decade along, returning to Poser with a new CAD-Tower, I learned that my beloved P4 was too old to register or re-register. Ditto, the P7 that I never installed due to the 'crash & burn' mentioned above. I got a budget P10 (x32) from A**n to try, bought the discounted upgrade to P11Pro, for its 64-bit memory handling...

So, I had a heap of P3 & P4 salvage from several forgotten archive drives, a zillion zip files without thumbnails, and a bunch of fun stuff for which I had 'bonus' textures or add-ons, but not their base mesh. I managed to grab some 'classics' from RDNA before it was taken over, but my lost decade meant a lot of sites and models had just vanished. Some could be found via the WayBack Machine, others were linked from https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

Often, I actually had those base files, albeit hidden by their obscure name among my zillion old zip files. A lot needed their folder structures 'sanitising' for Poser's 'external libraries'. A big problem was finding the legitimate original OBJs to unlock Objaction Mover PCF or RunTime Enhancer RTE files. Snag was these were tied to a specific version of original OBJs, and many models went through several releases as 'Artisanal Oops' were hastily patched...

Fun !!

Profile PM  
I have a MAC PowerPC Pro with Mac OSX 10.5.8 and Poser 7 I can use but I have 2 Mac G3 laptops
which use MAC OS9.2.2 with Poser 4 so that's why I need Maconverter. I have a ton of Poser stuff which I originally used on a Windows PC which I can use on MAC OSX without much trouble. But I still like to use Poser 4 and I don't have a Windows PC setup at this present moment in time.
Anyways thanks for you help on this.

Christopher.

Profile PM  
I'm very rusty with Mac's... but...

If you're using Poser 4, then you'll be wanting Mac Converter, so I hope it turns up somewhere.

If you're using Poser 5, and up, you should be fine (though you may want an RSR converter to fix the shrugging man).

Sorry I can't be more help.

Profile PM  

Page 1 of 1