Subject: Sweet Home 3D
Came across this while looking for something else...

http://www.sweethome3d.com/

A free, open-source program, apparently Java engined, it seems quite nimble.

Haven't tried the program yet, but it claims to import OBJ, DAE, KMZ or 3DS formats. Also, if you dig around in the on-line info, this claims you can export a scene render as OBJ + MTL, allowing re-use in eg Blender or, potentially, Poser...

A couple of limits it admits--
Memory limit of ~ 2GB, IIRC.
No pitched roofs, so fake flat-roof or add to exported model.
No arched etc ceilings, IIRC, but I used my DIY arched modules to get around the same issue in FloorPlan 3D...

IIRC, the plan format is proprietary, but being able to export scenes as OBJ+MTL could be neat...

I'd suppose that 2GB limit prevents using detailed figures in scenes. I've some very-low-poly 'static' folk from my 'FloorPlan' days, so I'll give them a try...

Um, there was something else, but I've just been distracted by a quorum of low-flying cats...
---
Hope your New Year celebrations go well; Here, the storm's blown through, the temperature is un-seasonally mild, but bursts of heavy rain mean our cats are sulking...
Nik

Profile PM  
Subject: Re: Sweet Home 3D
I got the pack from A**n to include printed manual.
Arrived minutes ago, but can't tackle it until this evening.

Profile PM  
Subject: Re: Sweet Home 3D
Took me a week to find time to install SH3D 5.0. It prompted me to get free bug-fix 5.6 upgrade, which downloaded from a very fast server.

I have not wrestled with the interface yet, I just loaded one of the dozen demo plans from the SH3D site. After a while, I managed to export the populated scene as a fully-textured OBJ file. After an hour of trial and error, I imported that scene to Poser at a plausible scale.

This Piccy uses 500% of model scale and 'placed on floor'. It is 'close but not quite right', will need some experimentation with known objects for calibration. Still, not too bad for a first session ??

Profile PM  

Page 1 of 1