Mesh Format Viewer / Conversion.

Page 1 of 1

Post Mesh Format Viewer / Conversion.

#1  Nik 19 Jan 2020 21:44

I usually use 3DOC, which is free to personal use, but I've upgraded to 'paid' for more mesh export options.

3DOC can be a fussy eater. It struggles with some MMD PMD / PMX file-builds, and often scrambles MMD .X prop files. I've discovered that recent Windows updates have 'orphaned' its PNG texture handling, causing module execution exceptions when there's an Alpha Channel. With no easy fix, as the module's author no longer supports that code. 'Despaired of Windows', perhaps ??

Sadly, there are many MMD PNG textures with Alpha channels, as that environment lacks support for separate bit-masks...

I'm slowly learning how to 'rip'  such Alpha channel data to BMP for use in Poser.

Must ask Irfan if his free Irfan View has obscure options that will let me paint a PNG's Alpha channel without altering the RGB image...

D'uh...

More-or-less by accident, I found free open3mod viewer, which is not as versatile as 3DOC, but can do a fair range of mesh conversions, is much less fussy and does not choke on Alpha channels.

https://www.open3mod.com/

Comes in x32 & x64 flavours...
==

May I also recommend free XnView (personal) which can 'unpeel' and export PSD layers, should you not have photoshop or grok gimp...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 4660
Lemons 3328
hearts 50

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Mesh Format Viewer / Conversion.

#2  ahjah 19 Jan 2020 23:58

Thanks for your HU, but I'm sorry to say, it don't open any files at all, and yes, I have all the VC++ and .net stuff installed.
I tried both. The installer and the standalone version.

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3200
Lemons 475
hearts 1890

#3  ahjah 23 Jan 2020 00:59

XnView is a real nice one. I'm using IrfanView since 20+ years now, and I'm used to it. It's quite similar, but don't have the unpeeling feature

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3200
Lemons 475
hearts 1890

#4  Nik 22 Feb 2020 01:29

Must be said that Zoltan will pounce on most 3DOC bugs. He recently fixed one that did not refresh the Open-GL cache when you switched between eg mesh, boned & textured. On-screen was correct, but an export to clip-board held previous version...

Although its now-orphaned 3rd-party module crashes when trying to read PNG textures with Alpha-channels, 3DOC sometimes mis-wraps texture maps it *can* read. They render wrong, but hard to see exactly why...

Ran into this a few days ago, with low-poly 'Easter Eggs'. Should have a neat ring of symbols around 'Equator'. Instead, fewer, distorted symbols appeared in 'High Arctic'.

I've been playing with 'equi-rectangular' and other full-wrapping textures, so tried tiling the 'whole-body' texture. 1 H x 2 V worked !! Sent Zoltan the relevant files. This gave sufficient clue for him to deploy bug-zapper, roll out a fix within 36 hours !!

As Poser can now import FBX models complete with rigging, I've collected some free, low-ish poly rigged models for study. Sadly, some FBX models are 'munged', will not import. Worse, FBX texture formats and usage seem very, very different to current Poser materials. Looks more like the comparative simplicity of P4 mapping. Whatever, the topic needs a lonnng tutorial...

Stay safe, stay well,
N

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 4660
Lemons 3328
hearts 50

#5  Nik 03 Mar 2020 02:36

Came across this free tool for converting XNALara .xps, .mesh and .ascii models + props to MMD PMX format. Even reads files 3DOC cannot grok.

https://www.deviantart.com/mariokar...erter-789330400

From that PMX file, free PmxEditor can export as OBJ/MTL but remember to 'mirror' if 'handed'...
https://www.deviantart.com/inochi-p...-v2-0-766313588

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 4660
Lemons 3328
hearts 50

HideWas this topic useful?