First Pass At A Floor-plan Of 'Red Tower' 2016...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post First Pass At A Floor-plan Of 'Red Tower' 2016...

#1  Nik 16 Mar 2016 13:34

Note I've not yet offset corners to 'square up' the planned covered-walk around the courtyard.

Rectangular gaps will hold stair-wells. Circle in dunjon side-tower gets wheel-stairs, rising from sub-cellar's qanat water-gate to red-tiled cap-house...

Still getting a feel for turboCAD's UI and tools.

D'uh, I used to be *good* at this !!

And I MUST get to grips with 'blocks' etc. IIRC, that's a much less memory-hungry way of putting multiple, complex props into turboCAD than just 'rubber stamping' meshes. Library objects ?? Something like that. Snag is pdf manual also does 'Pro'. Lots of 'Pro'. Figuring what's available in cut-down 'Deluxe' makes my head hurt. But, I *must* find and tame the facility as even this modest part-floor plan is five (5) megabytes...

Iso-view  Image Piccy attached...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: First Pass At A Floor-plan Of 'Red Tower' 2016...

#2  ahjah 16 Mar 2016 16:38

... yes, the arches seem very poly heavy They have far more subdivisions than needed. I've often seen this in models made with CAD software. As soon as arches and other rounded shapes get involved the poly count grows astronomical. Have you tried Wings or Blender for stuff like this? You have full control over mesh complexity there...

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#3  Chromium 16 Mar 2016 18:29

Good work so far.

Looking forward to seeing more (not more, as in more poly count, just to clear any confusion).

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#4  Nik 17 Mar 2016 15:24

Thanks, Chromium !

It is very much a 'Work in Progress', will be re-arranged as I re-learn turboCAD's UI...

Turned out the 'blocks' facility *is* in my 'deluxe' version. But, hey, it took some finding...

Selecting one of each type of 'arch-ery', defining it as a 'block', then *patiently* replacing all individuals of that type with its 'block' immediately halved the file-size. And that file-size is now growing much, much  slower...

High polygon count on the 'arch-ery' ? I'm not surprised. Compound curves add-up very, very quickly, especially if you want them half-way smooth, ready for re-use in a Poser scene in middle-distance. Another factor is all those 'soldier' bricks on the arches are individual blocks. Funnily enough, that bunch of individual cuboids add to a fraction of the polys of a single, 'wrinkled' mesh...

Which brings me to textures...

I've down-loaded a lot of freebies from the usual 3D sites, have been very, very surprised by how a simple mesh can look so good with a detailed 'material' mapped onto it.

eg: " Ooh, that's a *neat* Medieval-is tower, it might save me having to 'roll my own' !" But, when I look inside the 'zip', it's barely more than a single, cuboid block plus a base and crenels. The detailed windows, slits & doors had been painted onto a very pretty 'mtl'...

That's okay for a back-ground object in Poser, but not so much use in close-up, where perspective & shadows really show. Need careful lighting, at the very least...

I'm no Artist, to craft photo-realistic, 'trompe l'oeil' skins or back-drops, must go with my modest knack for 'Technical Drawing'...

So, I'm using those down-loads plus a *lot* of Google Image results to study what's appropriate detail. I'll then go back to my old turboCAD files, fetch out the 'profile cutters' I used to craft my 'arch-ery', use them and basic Boolean tools to punch holes in the walls...

I must also re-arrange the donjon and its stair-tower so they fit into the caravanserai's ten-foot grid. I'm on my fourth or fifth major iteration, and they're just not working. Next, I'll widen the stair-tower, see if that helps...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#5  Chromium 17 Mar 2016 18:16

Sounds pretty intensive.

.. and as this is PF, where time stands still (pretty much), there is never pressure to rush from us.

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

Post MoRe: Floor-plan Of 'Red Tower' 2016...

#6  Nik 18 Mar 2016 23:58

Some iterative editing and shuffling later, I've managed to close the wall circuit.

VIP area could use a 20x10 groin vault, but I can't yet understand my old notes to figure the work-flow for crafting such. Perhaps if I study the other vaults' incremental WIPs, they'll make more sense...

Meanwhile, here's a 'hidden line' Isometric view of ground floor.  Note the corner hall is double height, with a gallery ?? Next floor is similar, with a cut-out for that hall. Third floor vaults are shorter, lack covered access, and back onto the wall-walk. Cellarage is extensive...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post The Wire-frame...

#7  Nik 19 Mar 2016 00:02

Here's the wire-frame of that view...

FWIW, the tcw file is ~ 2.5 Mb, half the size yet with thrice the arch-ery of that earlier version. Using 'blocks' really does save a lot of drive space...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#8  Chromium 19 Mar 2016 18:31

Its' really come along since the first posting.

Thanks for the update.

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#9  Nik 20 Mar 2016 00:35

"... really come along since the first posting."

Thanks ! Truth is I surprised myself !!

At least the turboCAD editor doesn't say rude things when you task it to move half the plan a foot to the left-- And then two feet to the right !!

Before I 'clone' this ground floor, I must get to grips with the 'layer' tools as it is getting harder to keep track of stuff. Also, I must open a new work-sheet and craft three sets of stairs --Utility, VIP and 'wheel'...

Then I've to search out the curved 'cutters' I crafted to make my bespoke doors and windows, figure how to adapt them to cut holes in those walls...

I've some low-poly figures to populate the place, to get a feel for the look without installing Poser 7. Can't yet afford to claim discounted upgrade to current PoserPro version. Fortunately, my budget turboCAD deluxe ($15) seems able to do what I need on the 'Tech Drawing' side...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post Wind-up Stairs...

#10  Nik 21 Mar 2016 02:20

If you look very, very carefully, there's a double-width step as landing !!

Next, cutting doorway...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#11  Chromium 21 Mar 2016 18:25

This just keeps getting better.

Nice spiral stairs too.

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

Post When Is A Door Not A Door ??

#12  Nik 22 Mar 2016 00:39

When is a door not a door ??

When it is an inch off, and I can't figure what I did wrong...

IIRC, I had some trouble last time with 3D Booleans, when turboCAD refused to recognise a 'cutter' as a valid object after it had been moved and rotated. There are work-arounds, which I'm rediscovering piece-meal, but I've had a lot of trouble making doorways. This stair-well came out okay, as I just cloned and stacked modules. Repeating the door-way cutting with a test wall & room became a horrible, horrible mess.

Try again tomorrow...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post Thought I'd Solved It, But...

#13  Nik 23 Mar 2016 01:02

Thought I'd solved it by using a *plain* cuboid as cutter, but exactly the same thing happened. Had to make an 'identical' cuboid on-site.

Also means I must re-work these tidied doors again...

Still, 'proof of concept' !!

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#14  Chromium 23 Mar 2016 18:29

I'm loving these updates, thanks.

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

Post Learning Curve's A Bit Bumpy...

#15  Nik 24 Mar 2016 02:25

Spent the day trying work-arounds for the 3D Boolean problem. Sadly, anything derived from a door model soon locked-up. I honed the work-flow, but only got a migraine out of it...

So, forget that approach, revert to 'first principles'. I crafted my 'arch-ery' by months of trial, error and basic geometry. Each arch began as a polygonal prism with the same number of sides as inches to span. I used the doorway as a 'jig' to draw an identical but fresh polygon, 3D sliced it level, added a block to cut out the rest...

A grim hour later, I realised that *3D Adding* these two parts was a mistake, as it began the count-down to a Boolean lock-up. I then discovered that 'bundling' the separate parts as a library object prevented their combined use for Booleans. I had to 'explode' the pair prior to use, apply them individually...

Good news, they worked repeatedly !!

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Emergency Plan For Posetteforever Moving Tormie Whip The Admins... 5 20 Jul 2010 18:57 View latest post
Tormie
No new posts POSER 4 "DROP TO FLOOR" HELP!!!!! Kraizydo I'm New, Please Whip Me Gently 6 09 Mar 2014 18:09 View latest post
Chromium
No new posts Plan "A" Guest Jokes 11 20 Sep 2005 21:04 View latest post
posfan

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next