Goto page Previous  1, 2

Subject: Re: Thoughts About Poser 10 ??
Hi !

The answer was it *did* only need six (6) GB.

I had a sparse install, no Office suite etc.

The '16+' GB is total worst case.

Eventually, I got P11 installed.
---

Sadly, due family illness, I've not yet made much use of P10, P11, TurboCAD etc or the raft of 3D models I'd acquired.
Perhaps next year...

Profile PM  
Hi Nik :friends:
Good thing you solved it :thumb: Sad to hear about the illness.
Let's hope for better times as we always do :hug2:

The previous poster was just another spammer by the way. Abused the quote to hide a spam link in it.
Removed the link an banned the user already :afterburner:

EdwardWood wrote: [View Post]
Nik wrote: [View Post]
Everything seemed settled until I tried to create USB 'recovery sticks'. Though this older PC is 8.1 and CAD Tower is 10, they're both x64. Famously, their recovery drive exceeds 16 GB. So, I set to work with a pre-used SanDisk 32 GB. To my surprise, it was not recognised. I bought a new SanDisk 32 GB 'blade'. It ran, but failed. Some googlin' found me later, it seams that Windows will do that if something interrupts the 'save', ESPECIALLY if you have ticked the 'system files' box. Just try again...

This time, it ran, but claimed there were 23 GB free of 29 capacity. Only 6 used. Nonsense, surely ??
I tried again, now in a case-rear mobo port rather than a front-case 2nd-tier port.
Same happened.

Seems it *may* be due to SanDisk setting some bit in their stick firmware to tell Win8 systems that device is an actual drive, but it confuses the recovery creator tool so only the utilities get saved...

If I cannot figure this, I'll just have to buy several 'generic' 32 GB sticks from local supermarket...

This is strange. I've been using SanDisk sticks for creating USB 'recovery sticks' for a long time. And everything works fine. But my system configuration is different. i5 with 16GB and Win7.

Yes, any USB stick would have worked. The original poster has updated the thread. The Sandisk stick was working fine, only 6GB was required to create a recovery stick.

Last edited by JonathanGlenn on 15 Jan 2019 13:07; edited 1 time in total
Profile PM  
:eh:

Poser began its development life in 1997, when Fractal Design released Poser 1 and 2. Originally, the idea was to provide artists with a sort of digital maquette to serve as reference for drawing the human figure. Poser was acquired by MetaCreations, which released Poser 3. As a result of the MetaCreations acquisition, Poser has a shared history and look and feel with bryce, Carrara, and Painter, among other applications.

Nearly a decade later, Poser was acquired by Smith Micro in 2007. Under Smith Micro's development Poser's character design tools, lighting and rendering have been steadily updated. In these latest releases, Poser delivers better physics dynamics, subdivision surfaces, improved clothes fitting (Poser 2014 only), and enhanced performance, but there is still room for improvement.

Both Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 ship with Bullet physics, Pixar subdivision surfaces, and real-time Comic Book Preview mode. Both versions also feature improvements, such as the incorporation of vertex weight-map editing into various toolsets, optimized OpenGL preview, a better Morph Brush, new model libraries and much more.

Bullet physics is an open-source hard- and soft-body physics engine that is part of many popular applications like Maya and Blender. Smith Micro did a nice job of implementing Bullet physics in Poser. During testing, advanced physics like jiggles and collision-based deformations can be applied, edited and re-calculated (in real-time) to most any object in the scene, though sometimes the process is not intuitive and there are limitations with some clothing objects.

=======================================

jimmyad07

Profile PM  
I got basic P_10, played with it, then used it as stepping stone for discounted upgrade to P_11_Pro x64 for the extra tools and bigger memory.

The FBX import module is still limited to 'trad' rigging trees. Other tree shapes have results I call 'mutant' and 'splat'. YMMV.

Hey, at least Poser reads OBJs' MTL !!

I also use TurboCAD, which has *recently* --So, later version than my '16-- acquired FBX import. TC forum does not care to discuss its competence, seems I've fringe interests.

Sadly, after umpteen versions, TC *still* lacks any way to import / export the MTL that goes with an OBJ mesh.
Aaaargh !!!

Profile PM  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2