Men can only lead to trouble

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Men can only lead to trouble

#1  guiltypleasures 13 Mar 2008 23:50

As most of you know I have many fish tanks and fish. My two biggest fish tanks are: 55 gal and a 135 gal. My 55 gal is home to a number of different types of cichlids. My big 135 tank is  home to a number of fish big and small of assorted kinds. First some background:
55 gal tank, 2 convict cichlids (male and female) all is good for sometime, they have many babies (none which survive to adults), this comes to an end when I find that the big male convict has been beaten up by another cichlid (I have my thoughts on which one) so he's hiding and looking pretty badly. I decide to move him and his mate to my 135 tank. Well I'm able to net him and move him but the little female doesn't seem to want to be netted so I give up on her. (She needs a break in having babies anyways) Okay if you are with me so far, here is a little background on the 135 tank. In that tank I've had a female convict cichlid that was born to another pair of convicts I had awhile back. She was the only baby that actually survived and grew to a pretty little girl. Well she's been in the 135 tank for most of her life without a mate. Now enter the male I just moved from the 55. All is good in her world I'm assuming, she seems happy to have a man and they get busy setting up the house and nursery. About 2 weeks ago I see that maybe there is eggs in their new home. Yes, eggs and a few days later I see a zillion babies in there. All is good in the Convict home it seems. Mommy and Daddy are busy rearing the young ones and running off any other fish that comes into their area. Such is the life of Convict cichlids
Well about a week ago I see Daddy convict away from his happy family laying on the bottom of the tank not looking well at all. His coloring is all faded out and he seems very distressed. I have no clue what has happened to him, has he been in a fight? Has he not taken care of his kids enough and Mommy has put him in his place? I really don't know, but I feel his end is near. Next night I'm saddened that his end is here and he's dead. I am very sad by this and even feel terrible that now Mommy has all these babies to watch over without her man. I see that she is trying her hardest to keep an eye on those "zillion" babies while trying to fend off any "intruder fish".  All is going okay so far, but now I'll go into the rest of the story.
Next day I'm not feeling well, so I am lazy on feeding the fish (they are very spoiled fish, I feed them many good things and more than they need almost daily) but this day I only give them some fish flakes and not all their special foods. (I'm a bad fish mommy I know   ) Next night I decide I have to get all my fish fed good so I start into feed the 135 tank and see my 12 inch African Clown Knife (Mac the Knife) over by where my female convict and babies are. (Female convict is named "Mikie") Well on closer inspection to my horror I now see Mikie's butt and tail end sticking out of Mac the Knifes mouth. Oh my goodness he's eating my convict! I yell to let her go, I tap on the glass...(Mac does not let her go or even seem to care about my tapping or yelling) I am now worried that Mac may have tried to eat more than he could swallow and may end up choking on the convict. Mac the Knife is my pride and joy (I do love the convict too but not as much as the knife lol) Now I'm worried and a bit scared but also having a hard time from laughing about the whole situation. I go out and find my boyfriend in his shop and tell him what's happened. He says "time to get rid of the fish that is eating other fish" I give him a good glare and say "Oh no, I love Mac the Knife and he shall never leave me" I go back to the house to see what has happened in the tank. Mac is now swimming very fast to the top of the tank (mikie still in his mouth) and jumping out of the water and hitting the glass top of the tank. He does this several times as well as slamming himself into the glass sides of the tank. I'm not sure now if he's trying to smash the poor convict down his throat or trying to push it out of his mouth. My fear that he's going to die with this convict stuck in his mouth is now getting stronger. I can wait no longer, I pull out my step stool and proceed to grab my big net while gaining access to the tank. Lucky for me Mac is near the top of the tank so I'm able to net him on the first try. Okay now that I have him in the net I have to try and get Mikie out of his mouth. I grab mikies tail and try and pull but its slippery so nothing happens. I try once again and wow, mikie is free of the knifes mouth!! Yeah, that's good news (At least for me) Mikie falls into the tank and I don't see where she lands (figure tomorrow I'll net her floating carcus) I put Mac back into the tank and watch as he swims to the back of the tank. He opens and closes his mouth a few times. I figure he's nursing a soar mouth and thorat and his pride. Still no sign of Mikies body. Figure all Mikies babies have been eaten by the other fish while all this has been going on. Well at least Mac seems to be okay so far. I get out some frozen shrimp and start tossing pieces into the tank. Yes! Mac goes after a piece and eats it. All should be good with Mac the knife. I go to bed.
Next morning, I head to get my coffee and look into the big tank. To my surprise Mikie is in her house and seems to be garding babies!!! Well I'll be, she's alive! Mac's doing fine as well. All is right with the fish world!
Okay, later that day I check them again, well Mac is still fine but I see that Mikie has now moved over to the center of the tank near the bottom, that only could mean one thing, all her babies are gone (eaten )  
Moral of the story:
Men (convict men that is) are nothing but trouble! (She was better off without one) lol

Female convict gets man, has family with man, man runs off and dies, female has to take care of all the kids alone, taking care of babies leaves her vulnerable to big fish which leads to her being almost eaten alive, lives to swim another day, but finds all her kids  have now been eaten.

Okay this is a true story, a long story, but alas a true one. I couldn't make this up even if I tried, it's just too weird. I hope you enjoyed it

blank.gif guiltypleasures Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  Posy 13 Mar 2008 23:50

If the life of Convict cichlids smile Well about a week ago he or she see Daddy convict away from his happy family laying on the bottom of the tank not looking well at all is, then I'll be very surprised. What's the connection between "by this and even feel terrible that now Mommy has all these babies to watch over without her man " and sadness? Yes, I count my blessings every day. I'm not sure if I would like to try once again and wow mikie is free of the knifes mouth.  What's it like? And? Hmm, are you serious?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

Post Re: Men can only lead to trouble

#3  Tormie 18 Mar 2008 02:27

Poor baby fishes I don't know Rene, maybe you should have move the little zillion family alone in another tank ... However I can't have a clear opinion , so... We need a poll

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#4  JanReinar 18 Mar 2008 14:26

My mother ornamental fish died one day after she lefth him under my father care for a short trip. My father thought that my mother was not  feeding the poor fish sufficiently and double the stander ration!

In the same day I read Rene this topic and couldn't with a very close story.

My sorry for not explain it early but I had some little troubles in the office!

blank.gif JanReinar Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

#5  guiltypleasures 18 Mar 2008 14:54

Sorry for your mom's fish loss Johnny, I'm sure your dad didn't mean to cause it to die. I hope it's in tropical fish Heven

Tormie, I would have taken the zillion babies out but I couldn't reach them, the tank is too tall to reach the bottom without my scuba gear and I think Posy was using it that day to clean your bathroom        

I guess we should have a poll though to see what others think  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#6  Posy 18 Mar 2008 14:54

Why do you hope for it is in tropical fish Heven smile Tormie he or she would have taken the zillion babies out but he or she could not reach them the tank is too tall to reach the bottom without his or her scuba gear and he or she think you was using it that day to clean your bathroom whistle liar badairday D he or she guess we should have a poll though to see what others think uuh

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#7  Tormie 18 Mar 2008 16:24

We have one already

http://www.posetteforever.com/viewtopic.php?t=3183

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#8  TdaC 19 Mar 2008 19:52

i would have removed Mac the Knife

blank.gif TdaC Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 7320
Lemons 8763
hearts 143

#9  guiltypleasures 19 Mar 2008 20:21

Oh but how could you resist this beautiful sweet fish?      Mac The Knife is such a cool fish I couldn't remove him from my tank.... Well until he's out grown the tank and then maybe I will have to find a new home for him or buy bigger tank  

----------------------
I LOVE MY Big Mac  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#10  Tormie 19 Mar 2008 20:33

it looks dangerous Whit those Riddick's eyes ...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#11  guiltypleasures 19 Mar 2008 20:39

Well he does like meaty foods and his mouth is quite big but for now you and your cat are safe from harm Tormie      
His eyes are cool, they kind of glow in the dark  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

Post Re: Men Can Only Lead To Trouble

#12  leahman 28 Mar 2008 20:52

I do not see how you can clean a tank that you can't reach the bottom.

I have to clean my fish havens very often.

I do not think that Poor Posey
should  have to clean Davide's bathroom.   (maybe  -get someone off death-row ?)
I clean my bathroom my Girls clean theirs, I clean the fish and turtle tanks
they clean Kitty litter boxes.

I think  you need to isolate Mommy and baby fish in seperate  aquarium.
Avoid feeding Mac, any  expensive  boney suprise snacks...
Are these Salt Water Fish ?  I don't know any of them.
I had to give up Scuba due to heart problems back in my 20s.
I clean Goldfish tank every 3 weeks and use distilled water for him.

Rene if you use a round   SPHRICAL   goldfish bowl place in front of a window
you won't believe what the light coming in or the magnification effect of the round
bowl will do on your fish ! ! !  You'll be amazed at the show that occur on your floor !

blank.gif leahman Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User

Tomatoes 22317
Lemons 663
hearts 3697

#13  Posy 28 Mar 2008 20:52

Would you like to get to know some of them ?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#14  guiltypleasures 28 Mar 2008 23:37

Leahman my big tank (the one these fish are in) is 135 gals. The tank is about 6 feet long, 2 feet deep and 18 inches wide. It's sitting on a bit wooden stand and I have to climb up on a folding step stool to reach inside the tank to clean it. When I clean it, I use a gravel vacume that attaches to my kitchen sink (Python brand) which sucks water and junk into it and down to the sink drain. I also use it to refil the water I take out (I only take out about 25 to 50 percent of the water during normal cleanings and never take out all the water and fish to clean it) It's not an easy job and I can reach the bottom in some places, but I have to be careful not to fall in or pull the whole thing down on top of me ending in a huge flood lol
As for my mommy convict, well catching her is not an easy task, esp in that size of a tank. But that's not a problem any more since she doesn't have a mate so no more babies to worry about with her. Without having to worry about her babies she is good about staying away from the jaws of the knife fish now as she did in the past before I gave her a man to complicate her life heheh
All of my fish tanks are tropical freshwater fish, except for my 29 gal tank which is a brackish tank (part sea salt and part fresh water) which is home to my brackish fish and mollies.
I did have a very large clear glass vase that had a male betta fish in it, but due to my neglect at getting the water changed soon enough the fish died. It was my fault as I'm so used to having filters in my other tanks and not having to worry as often about doing water changes, so next time I try for a betta or goldfish in a bowl I'll make sure to do water changes often. As for placing them in front of a window, that sounds cool but don't you get a lot of the green algee on the glass of the bowl from the sunlight? I have one tank that gets the algee due to this and I have to clean it off more often to be able to see my fish.
I would love to suba dive, that would be so cool and living on the Oregon coast it would be easy if I was able to afford the lessons and the stuff needed to enjoy it. Of course my health issues would surely make it hard as well.

Now about Tormies toilet, yes I agree, a convict would be a good choice to make his amends to socicity by cleaning Tormies bathrooms hehehe

Have a great day!
GP

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#15  Posy 28 Mar 2008 23:37

Huh.  Please correct my mistake.  What is a problem any more since she does not have a mate so no more babies to worry about with her ? Do you want another one?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

HideWas this topic useful?