Old Animotions Content

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post Re: Old Animotions Content

#76  Tormie 22 Jan 2012 22:52

The image he is referring is the one in attachment, it refers to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question_%28comics%29

but I can't understand the meaning, either ...      

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

• Back to top Page bottom

#77  ahjah 22 Jan 2012 23:00

... silly me (I'm no comics expert... ), but no, I cannot remember having him seen as a Poser character anywhere....

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#78  tda42 24 Jan 2012 17:25

Look or as Marv. Ill bet he can tell you.

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#79  Marv 25 Jan 2012 20:52

I haven't seen "The Question" done as a Poser character. Doesn't mean it hasn't been done, I've just never seen one. Still it probably wouldn't take much to do him.

us.png Marv Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1330
Lemons 1022
hearts 40

#80  tda42 27 Jan 2012 14:21

Welp that blowed it right out of the water.  
I guess we can just morph his face with the puddy tool
and stick him in a Dick Tracey suit and there you are.  
Although it looks like he slept in it a day or two.  

Last edited by tda42 on 27 Jan 2012 14:23; edited 2 times in total 
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#81  Marv 28 Jan 2012 06:01

Putty tool is one solution. If you are a modeler you could create a faceless mask that I feel would give it a much better look.

us.png Marv Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1330
Lemons 1022
hearts 40

#82  tda42 28 Jan 2012 15:25

You could Marv but you would still have to modify the nose to get it to look flat so I would think that smoothing the mesh in the nose and eyes along with mouth should work. There are different ways to work on this.

...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#83  ahjah 30 Jan 2012 11:46

... maybe, a decent hit with a broad plank might do...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#84  Endosphere 03 Oct 2012 23:40

Unfortunately I missed this discussion when it was in a more active phase, but hopefully one's better late than never.  I wasn't very familiar with Animotions, what was or wasn't available there, and who is or isn't a superhero these days, but I have a number of these freeware P4-era character models, including many not previously mentioned.  If anyone knows which authors have grown more either stingy or more liberal in their old age, I've listed what I have below along with the author's name whenever possible.  If anyone can comment on which models would or wouldn't be appropriate to upload to Posette Forever, I'd be glad to share these classics.

Given the fairly crude standards of quality and lack of technical know-how many years ago, many of the characters (particularly those who are merely costumed heroes rather than beings with unique anatomy) can be easily updated to modern loveliness with only a little effort.  For example, in literally three minutes I updated the Poser 3 "Kin" character (who hasn't aged well at all, example 1a) with a decent texture map and some transmapped hair, and now she would look at home in any contemporary scene rendered in the latest versions of Poser (example 1b).  If only we had all known years ago how to actually use Poser 4 to its full potential, we'd all have cushy jobs with George Lucas by now.  Regarding models that use custom geometry, many simply don't look good given today's standards and I doubt much can be done in those cases since starting from scratch to build a better model would be much more efficient than trying to put lipstick on a hog; in most cases I didn't include the ones I have that look really horrible.

Documentation Key:
1- Documentation specifically allows noncommercial redistribution or documentation makes no mention of redistribution (typically, silence = no contest)
2- Documentation included at time of publication specifically prohibits any redistribution.  Congratulations to all the freebie makers of yore who used this harsh condition and thereby inadvertently helped some website gather enough users to turn commercial and stop distributing formerly available freebies-- all your hard work will soon be entirely forgotten.  Happy now?  On the other hand those were more naive times, and presumably their main concern was to avoid commercial exploitation rather than hobbyist accessibility, so perhaps we shouldn't judge too harshly.  Yet I see considerable irony in claiming no one may redistribute your own blatant rip-off of a commercial IP.  In other words, in cases where a claim of copyright is made for material that itself infringes copyrights any such secondary claim is invalid and frankly laughable.
3- No documentation available or meagre documentation makes no mention of author's name and terms of use (in either case, whoever made the thing was almost certainly a knucklehead regardless of their artistic talents)

Comic-book Characters

1-AIM Flunkie by Immortal.  A pz3-only that calls for geometry files not included with the character.  Sigh. Otherwise, he's pretty interesting.  (example 4)
1-Ambush Bug by cagedrei (example 6).  I never heard of Ambush Bug, but I originally downloaded him because he looked like Mr. Bug from the Micronauts (if anyone but me still remembers that comic).
2-Doc Octopus by AofD (example 5).  His mechanical arms are fully poseable, making this a quite nice character for its time.
1-Dr Doom by Phil Hokusai (example 3).  Unfortunately this fellow isn't quite a full-fledged Dork, as his body parts are props rather than figure elements.
1-Elektra by Rai (example 8).  A nice figure with well-made transmapped clothes, which was unusual for the era in which she was created.  With a few updates she could be a starlet once again, and her classic P4 conforming hair has high nostalgic potential in itself.
3-Hawkwoman (example 7).  She's a P3 figure with clothes painted onto her figure texture map, but otherwise is a pretty nice character from the old era of P3 figures with clothes painted onto their primary texture maps.
2-Kin by Tweakedout82 (example 1a).  Where exactly does she keep her guns and ammo?  I'm not sure I want to know.
1-Lara Croft by Phil Hokusai (example 10).  Most of us are probably mentally scarred for life from viewing a zillion ineptly composed P4 images of this particular model and her gargantuan... err... guns posted at Renderosity and Renderotica ten or fifteen years ago, but if you haven't had enough here she is in all her glory.  In truth, with some better texture maps and plausible proportions she could actually be a pretty nice model even today.
1-Space Ghost by Scott Benson (example 9).  I don't know if this is the cartoon or the talk-show version, or if there's even a difference.
1-Ultron by Dan Swofford (example 11).  Was there ever a freebie P4 Jocasta model and if so, does anyone have her?
1-Vision by Richard Kane (example 12).  Another clothes painted-on P3 job; not bad for the era, but unlikely to ever be very satisfying to his wife the Scarlett Witch in this condition.
2-Wolverine by AofD (example 13).  I can't believe this fellow wasn't posted already; presumably then this AofD guy really does want to be a grinch all these years later?

GI Joes (anyone else have more of these?)

3-Cobra Grunt (example 14).  An standard-issue minion of evil, with a few decent props.
3-Cover Girl (example 15).  Either I don't understand how this character is supposed to work or some files are missing.  She seems like she should have a pretty cool jacket that opens and closes in the front (but doesn't work), and the jacket texture is both applied to the wrong material and set as transparent even though no transparency map is included.  The cr2 and rsr are in different subfolders and the rsr doesn't accurately depict the character, implying the author was a bit frazzled (no documentation is included).  Finally, her gun (which shows up as two props but is actually one item) mysteriously disappears at render time despite being fully opaque.  I'm confused-- how about you?
3-Lady Jaye (example 24).  No documentation and author unknown, but presumably by the same person who made Cover Girl.  Like the former, Lady Jaye has a shirt with all sorts of morphs listed but none of these work.  However unlike Cover Girl, the rsr thumbnail for Lady Jaye accurately represents her actual appearance, so presumably she works as intended.

Star Wars Characters

1-C3P0 by John Malis (example 17).  Human-cyborg relations?  That's actually against the law in Alabama...
1-Darth Vader by rodnoy (example 18).  Great for his time, but he hasn't aged well.
1-Mara Jade by John Malis (example 19).  A nice character with good clothes and props; all she needs is a decent texture map and some better hair to remain a first-class model for the 21st century.
3-Stormtrooper (example 20).  Whoever made this-- good job!  A very nice model even for today, it was definitely cutting edge ten or more years ago.  I also recall a very similar 3ds version who was eternally frozen in a single pose, but this fella is the fully functional P4 figure.

Original Heroes and Villains

1-Adine by darkworld (example 21).  Supposedly she's a cyborg elf from the year 3000.
1-Circe by Menno Jensen (example 22).  The documentation description seems like she's meant to be a Greek superhero, but either she forgot her costume or superheroes in Greece prefer to work au naturel in honor of the ancient Olympic traditions.  Maybe her superpower is to streak around and create distractions?  In any case, she has a pretty face and was rather novel years ago for featuring a decent P4NW bump map that was much better than anything else available at the time.
1-Ultimis by Sekroid (example 26).  I don't know this lady's story, but I definitely wouldn't want to meet her in a dark alley.

Base Models for Aspiring Superheroes

1-Female Body Builder by John Paul Moore (example 23).  I've certainly got a lot of mileage out of this gal over the years.  If John Paul Moore is in the audience, THANKS!!!!!
1-Physique Man by Richard Kane (example 16).  Highly detailed with dozens of morphs; seems to be the exact counterpart of the female bodybuilder even though made by a different author.

Not supervillains but too nice to be forgotten...

2-Alien by SixPackWolf (example 25).  "Made exclusively for the Poser Props Modelers Guild."  What a shame, this outstanding model now seems destined for oblivion.  I don't make many sci-fi scenes, but if I did this guy would be in them.
1-Orc Warrior by John Malis (example 27).  Calls for a geometry file (some kind of pants) not included with the character, but otherwise a fine model.  Can be easily updated with a contemporary outfit instead of medieval gear to make a modern-day menace.
1-She-Orc by John Malis.  This unique Posette is definitely a keeper.  Using a revised texture, better hair, and some body reshaping, I recently made some fairly nice-looking Halloween pinups starring this orc lady (example 28).  

Endosphere

Last edited by Endosphere on 03 Oct 2012 23:42; edited 1 time in total 
blank.gif Endosphere Gender: Male
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 490
Lemons 202
hearts 15

#85  ahjah 03 Oct 2012 23:49

Thank you so much and welcome back Endosphere. I'll have a closer look on your post tomorrow. Now it's very late over here ( ), but looks all very interesting

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#86  Endosphere 04 Oct 2012 20:42

Somewhat off-topic (but related to superheroes and not worth making a new discussion over), does anyone know of any freebie shoulder holster props?  I've recently been trying (WIP) to build a P4 replica of Aya Brea from the Parasite Eve games.  However in her blue-jeans outfit without her gun holster (example C, as opposed to her shorts and jacket outfit, example B) she merely looks like a suburban housewife rather than a heroine.  I checked the usual websites, but couldn't find one single freeware model.  Sure I could make a transmap for the P4 women's vest, but that's going to look absolutely horrible (especially with props attached).

I mentioned some trouble with the GI Joes Cover Girl and Lady Jaye.  I was looking at the "Black Canary" character already available here and see she uses the same jacket as the other women-- and Canary's coat isn't working for me either (example A). Presumably, she's not supposed to look like that.  Interestingly, the Black Canary character has an additional geometry file in her download called "blwdressshirt2.obj" that didn't come with the GI Joes.  Blwdressshirt2.obj is an original file installed by Poser 4 as well (but the one in the Canary pack is a different size and more recent vintage), so my suggestion for using this (not tested yet) is to name the obj from the Canary pack blwdressshirt3.obj and text-edit Canary's cr2 accordingly.  Poser 4's Geometries directory is a murky mess by design, and I have no idea what models I may or may not have that reference my existing version of blwdressshirt2-- so this method seems best to avoid breaking anything I won't find out about until much later when I've forgotten I swapped a geometry file.

Last edited by Endosphere on 04 Oct 2012 20:43; edited 1 time in total 
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 490
Lemons 202
hearts 15

#87  Tormie 05 Oct 2012 20:52

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#88  Chromium 06 Oct 2012 17:34

I had a look around for free shoulder holster, found a dead link, and nothing else, but I came close at ShareCG, and it would involve a bit of work, can't say what because I'm not playing with my P6 at the moment.

Here are the links to some clothing that are for another figure,

http://www.sharecg.com/v/54017/rela...zUS-CS-Uniforms
http://www.sharecg.com/v/53839/brow...ez-Poyale-Guard
http://www.sharecg.com/v/53725/related/11/Poser/LoRezUniform01

You may get a harness from one of them in the geometries folder, and stick your preferred gun holster on it.

Good luck.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#89  Endosphere 07 Oct 2012 20:00

Thanks Chromium, that's more than I was able to find.  Seems like this would be a common item, but maybe not.  I'll look at these in detail and see if there's anything to work with.

What's the consensus on the superhero models?  Should I send them in to someone?

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 490
Lemons 202
hearts 15

#90  Chromium 07 Oct 2012 21:56

I looked up Aya Brea, to see what you were after, but she is also shown with a other holsters too, though I must say your rendition of Aya Brea, does look fine.

I think Ahjah, was to examine your action figures closer.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

HideWas this topic useful?