Poser11 Pro .... A Big Jump From P4 !!

Page 2 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post Re: Poser11 Pro .... A Big Jump From P4 !!

#16  Nik 24 Apr 2017 19:09

I reckon my blundering around the BIOS on CAD Tower has left the UEFI options 'conflicted'.

Must google for UEFI option tutorials, pull drive, re-format and try again...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

• Back to top Page bottom

#17  Nik 30 Apr 2017 00:05

Yes, I had stepped on the UEFI options. Resetting the BIOS' CMOS, wiping the C: Drive and starting over solved all that.

To be sure, to be sure, I re-booted windows 10 as soon as it settled, to get a clean boot record. THEN I began loading essentials such as Chrome, T-bird, IrfanView etc.

Happily, I didn't have to drill out the old PC's case's side-panel rivets. On very close inspection, they were 'anti-tamper' screws, and I had a matching bit.

So, today, I powered it down, connected my USB-IDE/SATA adaptor to the C: drive, linked it to the CAD Tower and set to work. Of course, Windows complained I'd no authority to access the user files. Difference was I could use the CAD Tower's admin account to over-ride the veto.

Took several minutes to process the files' attributes, but now I could get at those files.

I copied the entire t-bird profile across to E: on tower, then Chrome's bookmarks.

T-bird site's FAQ etc recommended getting a free I/O plug-in to ease imports etc. With that, I was able to selectively retrieve some essential e-mails. I just copied the address-books over the new-start's empties.

I did much the same for Chrome.

Job done ?? Well, almost...

I'll have to shuffle DVI cables about, copy a lot of files across to E: before starting to install the CAD suite six months later than planned...

There will now be a short interlude while I load and register a bunch of stuff..

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#18  ahjah 30 Apr 2017 00:35

That's good news

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#19  Nik 01 May 2017 23:41

I couldn't do a full 'system refresh' on old PC; it kept asking for the ruddy password of that corrupted profile. At least the broken [+] right-click menu works again...

I switched the USB label and laser printers to the CAD Tower's ports, and they're happy.

Rather than do a 'factory' wipe, I've deferred that option and hooked the PC to the fourth, smaller display instead of its previous two wide-screens. As you see, that pre-loved screen, $5 from charity shop, works just fine...

FWIW, without the overheads of the Display Link external graphics module's USB driver, this PC now runs a lot faster...

I transferred the DVI cables from those wide-screens to the CAD Tower, making three up. Two on one card, one on the other. At which point, the serial angst resumed.

NVIDIA utilities found all three screens, but did not 'engage' with third. Windows' display menu found all three, extended display across all of them, then promptly forgot about the third and reverted to two. Rinse and repeat.

After much trying of obscure options and swapping of cables, I'd exhausted all practicable possibilities save one; update driver. The Gigabyte site was reluctant to admit this card type existed, then offered an earlier version than installed. A tiny, tiny footnote linked to NVIDIA's own site. There, I needed five minutes to identify the card family, five to down-load latest stable driver version, five to install it.

Ping ! This time, the NVIDIA utility engaged with all three screens, and everything works as it should.

Phew.

Rather than just load up my CAD suite, I'm going to have a quiet think about how best to organise 'external run-times' and such. Splitting my sprawling 'Nik Files' directory tree into 'Science', 'Fiction', 'CAD' and 'OtherStuff' appeals. With not RAIDing the 2nd & 3rd WD Blacks, I've an extra drive to use, one I can set to spin-down promptly...

I've still got to decide what to do with this old PC's assortment of programs, but most of them are free, and could do with being up-dated. I'm considering making a list of fun stuff, doing a 'factory restore' then starting clean...

But NOT tonight !!!
===

ps: Spouse's beloved LFC beat Watford FC 0:1 'away' tonight, earning three 'League' points and keeping them in the race for a 'European' place next season...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post External Runtimes...

#20  Nik 08 May 2017 15:07

I've begun sorting through the sprawling directory tree of Poser stuff I've 'ported' from this old 'desktop' PC.

There's a heap of 3DS & OBJ mesh freebies from my TurboCAD & FloorPlan days, most being 'Medieval-ish' and really lo-rez. There's 'Classic' freebies I used in Poser 3. Lots of freebies I collected while using Poser 4. More freebies collected ahead of upgrade to Poser 7, but that CAD PC died horribly between my buying P7 and installing it. Many zips survived, my Runtime & back-up didn't...

I collected a lot of freebies last year, many 'duplicating' old files, but now bug-free, with thumb-nail piccies.

And, yes, my PayPal account means I dared *buy* some sets, props etc that are far, far beyond my rusty CAD skills, never mind my utter lack of 'artistry'....

Spent much of last night trying to survey the many, many 'sets' I've acquired. Too soon to begin 'organising' them...

There's ancient, old, modern, future/sci-fi and 'fantasy' buildings, variously externals and/or internals, intact, abandoned, wrecked or ruined.

There's an unhealthy bunch of dungeons, caves, sewers and half-flooded fortifications. Don't forget your HAZMAT suit, gas-mask and Geiger counter.

There's a LOT of 'set dressing' props, some of them seriously scary...

{ Hey, what better use for a so-smug Vicky4 than to tie her up for Posette, Aiko3 & AiBot to rescue ??    }

My 'Alien Zoo' will need a lot more space than expected, and xenocidal Daleks need more than a moat to contain them...

I seem to be short of 'Human Villains'; they'll need a fresh trawl of the usual freebie sites, their uniform /logo templates tweaking plus 'facial morphs'.

I'm still on the Win'10 learning curve, of course, of course. Somewhere, surely, there MUST be an option to send serial downloads somewhere useful, instead of defaulting to the 'downloads' directory...

D'uh...

Upside, the CAD Tower 'feels' much, much faster than this old 'desktop' system. In fact, it is faster than the worn-out trackball I've connected. A new one, wired for minimal latency, is coming from Amazon...

And, while shifting stuff around in 'box room', I've found my '3D Connexion' 'Space Navigator' that wouldn't work with the old CAD Tower's version of TurboCAD...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#21  Nik 18 May 2017 15:56

Six months late, I'm finally, finally installing Poser 11 Pro. (X64)

( Not a 'friendly' installer, hard to start, not enough progress info etc etc...)

Now printing the extensive 'ReadMe' on desk's Samsung B&W laser printer, and the 'Reference Card' set on the desk's HP all-in-one. Aha, latter is *legible*. If wasn't, 'Plan_B' was sending that set to the networked 'A3' printer, where it would, as ever, tile the floor then be slept on by a quorum of cats...

Default P11Pro set-up is weird. The 'RunTime' seems to be in the wrong place, stuffed with system-ish files I don't recognise, minus the familiar sub-directories I'd expected.

Perhaps there's another, some-where ??
Hmm...

And what does a 'Queue Manager' do with Poser ? Or vice-versa ??
Hmm...

Ooh, there's a 'QuickStart' guide, too !! And I'll have to copy these guides plus the mountainous PDF 'Reference Manual' to some-where accessible. I may copy them across to this 'Browser PC' so I can get a fourth screen of info...

Still have not tried to decide how to organise or locate the multiple, multiple directories I'll need in 'External RunTime'. Cannot make sense of the arcane 'DO NOT' info in the 'ReadMe'. But, if you don't do such bad placements, is everything else okay ??
D'uh...

Okay, I've set my first piton in the learning curve's near-vertical rock-face, will attach safety lines, explore the 'foot-hills' and report back...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#22  Nik 18 May 2017 18:17

Download Manager said I had a bunch of resources available for down-load, plus a Poser update.

Then it said I had to un-install Poser before I could load the update...

Not sure what's going on...

Oh ? The updated Poser wants me to re-register ?? And enter the 'from P10' serial, too ?? After I gave it when I bought the upgrade ??
That's a bit annoying...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#23  Nik 18 May 2017 18:42

Okay, the huge content pack is now down-loaded. I managed to put a semi-skeletal robot --The default Default figure-- in the middle of an office.

Then I tried to change the view using my un-used, decade-old 'Space Navigator' I thought I'd lost but found during our house-move...
SWOOSH !!!

Uh, what's *beyond* 'hyper-sensitive' ??

If Posy just ducked a low-flying office with a robot clinging to its door-frame, you know whose it was...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post External Runtimes...

#24  Nik 23 Jun 2017 19:35

Okay, 'External Runtimes' have been available since P5-ish, but I've jumped from a half-forgotten P4 environment to P11Pro, which I'm finding a bit overwhelming...

Been tied down recently by family health problems and near-exhaustion --Without enough REM sleep, I become an ANGRY Zombie-- but things have settled a bit...

As I understand it, external runtimes must be arranged as...

[External content folder] eg NOT on C: where Poser prefers to live...
   |
   |__[Category #001 folder] named for what's in the tin...
   |                                  |__[Runtime folder] with Poser's usual sub-folders...
   |
   |__[Category #002 folder]
   |                                  |__[Runtime folder]
   |
   |__[Category #003 folder]
   |
   |__[Category #004 folder]
   | etc etc

Then, it seems, you must point Poser's library system at these folders...

Never mind category names as I'm still trying to balance 'concise' against 'meaningful'-- Is this structure mostly correct ??

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#25  Chromium 24 Jun 2017 17:58

As long as you point it to the external folder that each external "Runtime" is in you're good.

You can call each external folder whatever you like.

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

Post Folder.jpg

#26  Nik 26 Jun 2017 03:07

I'm old-fashioned. I like to tweak a pic, label it folder.jpg.

But, for some reason, this rebuilt Win 8 does not always bother displaying it on the folder icon...

Sometimes, I can 'refresh' the file browser, some-times switching views then back will do the trick. Sometimes, despite going into properties and specifically setting folder.jpg to show on the icon, IT WILL *NOT* SHOW.

D'uh...

Found a work-around of sorts.

I renamed a folder to give it a more meaningful name,  the lurking folder.jpg popped up !!
Stranger, renaming it back hid that jpg again.

So very, very weird...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post How To Let An Exoskeletal Mega-bug Grow Without Moulting...

#27  Nik 26 Jun 2017 14:37

I've been scratching my head over the biology of those 'Big Bad Bugs'...

Biggest problem after  limb articulation is how they can grow. Terran bugs moult. None, even during the oxygen-rich Carboniferous etc, got big enough ON LAND to be really, really scary. Biggest now are tree-climbing 'Robber Crabs'. Though they've evolved 'book lungs', they must go back to the sea to spawn...

Then I remembered the humble tortoise. Arguably, it has an exoskeleton of sorts. But, it grows without moulting...

Some digging through my half-forgotten 'Recreational Maths' brought me to 'Reuleaux' figures. A pentagonal version would provide an anatomical shape, growth planes etc etc. And, if limbs are shaped thus in cross-section, they would allow joints at various combinations of 72ยบ.

Now, how to articulate limbs so BBBs can groom themselves or scrape off hitch-hikers ??

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post Salvaging A Swathe Of 'Classic' Freebies...

#28  Nik 16 Jul 2017 19:12

I've been sorting the many, many zips I'd salvaged from old CAD Tower, discovered many were 'broken'.

Of course, most of these are no longer available on rDNA, SCG or R**y. Or, worse, on 'WayBack Machine', since they began honouring 'No Re-Distribute' flags...

I was searching my archive for a spare zip of PhilC's classic 'Genie' outfiit --Now retired, he's closed his Freebie area-- when I had a stroke of luck. Windows' search threw up a bunch of his stuff installed in a *secondary* back-up copy of my old P3's busy runtime.

Poser 3 ? Oh, yeah, the freebie off a cover-disk that got me started with Poser...

There wasn't just PhilC's 'Dynamic Genie'. That P3 Runtime held a fun zoo, including Teppan's *entire* 'Race Queen' set from before the lawyers culled it, Poism's superb Medusa, a small mountain of props etc etc etc...

I'm sat there thinking, "How on earth do I extract these dozens and dozens of sub-sub directories, match up their geometries, textures, props, characters etc etc etc...."

Okay, I've not been sleeping well due family illness, so the solution took much, much too long to dawn...

I DO NOT need to untangle them.
I just have to copy that Runtime to some-where handy, delete P3's bundled files, point Poser 11 at their top directory as an external RunTime...

D'uh...

FWIW, I've found a neat Freebie on SCG called 'Prop Viewer #3'. This can *usually* read and display OBJ, 3DS, HR2 and any CR2 with internal geometry. It can twirl meshes, show wire-frame or skinned, back-culled or not, with/out simple textures etc. Its other neat trick is to export the view as a BMP. No faffin' about with {Shift}PrtSc. I've been using this option plus {free} IrfanView to create folder.jpg files for zips.

'Prop Viewer' is NOT clever enough to auto-find a CR2's 'external geometry', but that's no big deal. One oddity is some really old CR2 files show with all the groups lumped into one central mess. When I've the energy, I might try a third-party OBJ stripper on those...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post Ssssserendipity...

#29  Nik 24 Jul 2017 01:31

Remember CCD's HYDRA, that needed the P4 Rattlesnake ?? Which latter seems to have vanished ??

I've found a copy of blRSnake.obj in my archives, misfiled with Teppan & Co's Race Queens etc for V1/2, MD & Posette.

I'll need to untangle the mix...

FWIW, I've picked up a {FREE} XD4 licence for P4F from EE, so Posette should be able to play 'Dress Up'...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post No Runtime Trees !!

#30  Nik 24 Jul 2017 12:38

Those old, but still wondrous Japanese freebies really are an unmitigated mess.

To save on dial-up time --We're talking 2002~2004-- there's often NO folder tree. You must pick through each 'ReadMe', set up and populate sundry weird folders where-ever. Worse, the CR2/PP2 internals are often hard-coded for MetaCreations' Japanese versions of Poser which were organised just differently enough to be VERY exasperating...

No way !!

When I've gathered each set to its own folder, I'll go skinny-dipping with a CR2 / PP2 editor, set their internal references to rights.

Also, it should ease use of the XD4 utility to extend Posette's wardrobe...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Okay, don't everyone jump at once guiltypleasures Short Stories 3 12 Jul 2003 02:16 View latest post
Tormie

Page 2 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next