Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Subject: Re: Poser11 Pro .... A Big Jump From P4 !!
Tried to print a page, discovered my HP series A3 networked printer will no longer talk to Windows 10. Downloaded enormous new driver pack, went through everything, ran a test page, fine.

But print a document ? Forget it !!
:bad-words:
Un-install, re-install, does everything but actually print a document....
:bad-words: :bad-words:
Rinse & repeat, still no document printing...
:bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:

Enough is enough. It is headed for the re-cycle.

A new all-in-one printer with an A3 scan bed, a document feeder and DUAL paper trays is arriving next week...

Profile PM  
Printer was supposed to arrive Monday, but successive e-mails claimed Saturday, then Friday. So today, Thursday, I dashed out for some groceries, got home to a card on the mat, 'While You Were Out'. Yes, its HUGE crate was cyber-squatting a bemused neighbour's door-mat like a mini-Tardis. Took my fulsome apologies, my folding sack-truck and several bungee ties to get it home...

Only problem was the menu which told the Beast that Tray #02 held A3 rather than more of Tray #01's A4 was deeply, deeply buried down the 'supervisor' options. Logic was this let you lock down such options with a password, preventing expensive 'Oops'. But, surely, such options should be readily accessible *until* locked down ?

D'uh...

Profile PM  
With re-arranging some of my Medieval-ish plan's rooms, I've now realised I need some new 'grand' arches after all. Upside, they should look really, really good...

Profile PM  
I've made a 150 x 150 cm worktop out of plywood and twin-slot shelving risers, ready for laying out Lego or paper plans to allow an 'overall' view of my Medieval-ish project.

I've an 'admin' day tomorrow, then hope to attack TurboCAD, re-boot my familiarity with the complex menus...

Profile PM  
Making the semi-circle of arch bricks ('Voussoirs') baffled me.
1) It was easy.
2) I forget how...

Digging through the vast TurboCAD PDF manual (1541 pages :shocked!: ) looking for something else, I found a tool which makes rotated copies. It can variously turn eg a thin, flat sheet into a 'Vegas' fan of cards or a kitchen fruit segmenter.

The resulting whatsit, appropriately applied as a 3D Boolean, can chop a solid arch into an array of evenly gapped bricks...

Or, create an arch from one (1) wedge-shaped brick ??

Whatever, it is an essential piece in the work-flow jigsaw !!

Profile PM  
Haven't done much with Poser for several weeks. Each time I tried, I got totally snarled in the clothing menus. Well, TurboCAD was going no-where fast, either !

Took time out to do DIY --Trailed some Cat6 cable, got all my IPCAMs working, fitted an infrared floodlight to cover a 'dark spot'.

Played around with PMX editor, exported several neat Anime MMD figures via OBJ to Poser, posted render of one cute poppet.

As most outfits are ambidextrous, took me a while to notice-- They appear in Poser swapped L/R from the PMX !!

Must be *something* in the OBJ import options I've missed-- Any ideas ??

Profile PM  
Hi Nik

I haven't done anything with Poser since month... :roll: :sorry:
Getting Spring here, finally, so I spend more time outdoors, what's a good thing after all :D

About the import option... :mmmh: it says you can flip U and V texture coordinates. I never tried anything with it.

Good luck, I need some sleep :hug2:

The Poser UV texture options did not seem to make a difference.

Fix was to use obscure 'Mirror' option in the PMX editor prior to export.
PmxView, Edit(E), Mirror Model (M), Are you sure ? Yes/No.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Profile PM  
Good it worked :thumb: A workaround would have been to use Blender or Wings3D for this job...

I had been using Poser 11.1 on macOS High Sierra until March 22 of this year. When I try to start the program, I now get an error message: "Maximum number of activations for this license has been exceeded." I had activated the Fitting Room in hope of expanding the wardrobes of some third-party human figures, such as the Sixus1 Project Human couple.

For now, I am falling back on DAZ Studio 4.10 and Poser 10. Do I need to buy another license for Poser 11?

I'm sorry, I have no idea how the Mac version is licensed. Have you re-installed several time ? Switched to better hardware without un-installing program from old kit ? Transferred to an SSD ??

May I suggest contacting Smith Micro directly, as they would have records of the installs ?
If the hardware those ran on is now trash, they should be able to help.

One way for them to be sure, to be sure is to send you a new license number. You'd have to un-install every instance of old, blocked license, then register with the new one.

Make sure your libraries are safe before then !!

Profile PM  
:mmmh: No help from me either, sorry. I'm still stuck with P7...

Nik wrote: [View Post]
I'm sorry, I have no idea how the Mac version is licensed. Have you re-installed several time ? Switched to better hardware without un-installing program from old kit ? Transferred to an SSD ??

May I suggest contacting Smith Micro directly, as they would have records of the installs ?
If the hardware those ran on is now trash, they should be able to help.

One way for them to be sure, to be sure is to send you a new license number. You'd have to un-install every instance of old, blocked license, then register with the new one.

Make sure your libraries are safe before then !!

Nik, I went to the Smith Micro site and found License Manager in the Support menu. Unfortunately, the sign-in form won't accept my username and password. But I have backups of Poser Pro 11.1 and all my downloaded/purchased content on an external drive.

Have you tried using the 'Reset my Password' facility ?

IMHO, SM do make contacting them harder than necessary...

Profile PM  
Several, uh, six months of not getting much 3D stuff done.

I'd written several short stories, put WIRS into the Reddit Halloween competition.
To my total astonishment, it won its category. Emboldened beyond sanity, I wrote two wry sequels, am working on a third...

( WIRS is in our PF 'Short Stories' forum. I'm posting sequels chapter by chapter on 'Deviant Art' etc; If your preferred search engine cannot find them, PM me... )

In between such, I've been trawling for freebies and sales.

I've a large collection of SciFi-ish props and sets, am always looking for plausible interiors, widgets, greebles and other scene dressings.

One problem is the growing chasm between the Poser and Daz Studio (DS) environments. Better wits than mine have addressed this. Suffice it to say that Daz' 'Terms of Service' now prohibit their modellers including OBJs, perhaps from fear of 'Second Life' piracy. Everything seems to be DUF/DSF.

Happens there are inexpensive tools which can usually extract a passable OBJ from a plain-text or zipped DSF. However, this process does NOT produce a MTL file, and there is no access to DS mapping, textures etc. In effect, it requires a complete external unwrap & re-map, something I've never had work well. In fact, remembering my efforts from P4 days, I'd say it was really, really hard.

With most models now a much higher polygon count, re-mapping is also harder by an order of magnitude or more...

Daz Studio ( 'free' ) claims to be able to export objects in CR2 or OBJ format.

I've yet to find how to export CR2.

Every month or two, I 'gird my loins' and have another go, fail...

I've tried and tried with even the simplest of models, but DS goes through many, arcane CR2 export options, produces NOTHING at the end. Today, in exasperation, I tried to create a file with a 'unique' identifier, then set Windows' Explorer hunting across my C:, E: & F: drives.

( This took a while as E: & F: both run to ~ ½ Terabyte... :wink: )

I found a classic, longer-named TrekkieGrrrl Poser freebie, but NOT my exported CR2...

There are three ways of looking at this...
1) It was a Prop so, logically, should not export as a CR2. In which case, there should be a relevant error message.
2) I'm doing something else wrong.
3) All of the above...

Finally, I shrugged and tried to export as OBJ. I could do this via those budget tools, but I thought I'd give DS a go.

To my astonishment, DS by-passed those arcane CR2 export options, produced both an MTL file and an OBJ.
:shocked!: :shocked!:
Opened in 3DOC, the OBJ complained about a missing texture. Misplaced, rather, as it was lurking in the freebie's DS Content tree. With that copied to an 'accessible' location, the test object rendered correctly...
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I have no idea how this will work with complex interiors, but it sure beats re-mapping complex stuff...

Upside, with the various materials flagged, it means I may be able to pull an OBJ+MTL pairing into a 3D modelling program and hack them about...

Profile PM  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Page 6 of 7