Stepping Into The Light...

Page 1 of 1

Post Stepping Into The Light...

#1  Nik 02 Sep 2021 01:26

This began with SmidA's nice street-lamp freebie over on Rendo.
https://www.Renderosity.com/freestu...ay-obj-included

Though model was made and pathed for DazStudio, SmidA kindly bundled OBJ+MTL, which meant I did not have to rip DUF/DSF. Also, when I checked the mesh, the lamp-bulbs were a defined material, rather than a zone on a texture map. I would not have to 'mask' texture when making the bulbs glow.

OBJ imports well to Poser at 0.3 ~~ 0.5 % original scale, needs 'place on floor'. Materials are well organised. Laterne = pole +cross-bar. Spitze = bird-spike +twiddles. Stahl = steel glazing frame. Glas = glass. Birne = pear-shaped lamp bulb. No textures provided, so set your own colours, such as 'eco-green' for park lamps' pole.

After setting glass to ~95% transparent, and bulb to eg white, super-dial bulb ambiance to 100~~1000, 'force show back-facing polys' and go for the glow !!

One street-lamp seemed a bit lonely, so I placed a second. I turned off all Poser lights, did some quick 'local' Superfly test renders using my CAD Tower's twin GTX 750 Ti graphics cards. As the lamp-bulbs are quite small, so do not have much luminous surface, I expected they'd need lots of pixel samples. 14 proved scene would work. 64 warned it would need a lot. 96 was okay-ish for mid-distance 'Level of Detail', but a bit too pixelated...

I set Superfly, 256 pixel samples, progressive, 64 vol-bounces and 64 buckets, sent the job to networked 'Box' and set about planning dinner...

Remote render ran 17:35 to 21:20, so 3 3/4 hrs.

Like the shadows ??

Last edited by Nik on 02 Sep 2021 01:27; edited 1 time in total 
uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Stepping Into The Light...

#2  rico 02 Sep 2021 18:29

I really like how LF's shadow falls, it seems exactly how shadows look under similar conditions in real life. Nicely done Sir

rico Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Elbow
Elbow

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 1130
Lemons 132
hearts 147

• Back to top Page bottom

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic