DAZ PC+ Sale

Page 1 of 1

Post DAZ PC+ Sale

#1  rico 05 Oct 2020 09:06

Hi all . I see DAZ3D started a PC+ sale today , 05-Oct-2020, including 8 PC+ items for US$2.99.   By God's grace I got a few pennies yesterday, so I managed to pick up the Ichiro and LaRoo figures, and some other needed and sought-after affordable items, this morning .

rico Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Elbow
Elbow

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes
Lemons
hearts

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: DAZ PC+ Sale

#2  Nik 06 Oct 2020 16:53

Well spotted and called !!

Is it just me, or is DAZ increasingly coy about using its products, even the 'legacy' stuff, in Poser ?? Each budget or freebie 'retro' model I've recently acquired from them (V3~~V4+A4 hair & cosplay) turned into 'CSI meets TimeTeam' as I struggled to re-configure the supplied files for 'external library' use in Poser.

Like the old self-installing EXE packs {Spit !!}, especially those you could not un-zip and peek within {Double-Spit !!}, they all want to climb into my primary PP run-time, and reside there. No way !! With few, honorable exceptions, new-comers live in my ~ 4/5 TB E: archive until linked for a specific project...

IMHO, I get the impression DAZ team were totally expecting Smith Micro to run Poser into the ground. After which DS would reign supreme, with each generation of figures less and less back-compatible...

But, Rendo / Bondware did their buy-out, commissioned LaF/LeH as 'independent' characters, and looks like DAZ are having a bit of a snit...

IMHO, much now depends on what Rendo add/fix in P_12.0 and next year's 12.1...

As I've moaned a bunch of times, they must, Must, MUST fix FBX import. P_11.3 seems unable to reliably handle any rigged FBX after ~v6.1. Currently FBX is up to ~v7.5, which is a dire lag...

First, such a fix re-opens Blender etc imports, as current Blender rig usually 'crashes & burns'. Second, it may open path to import *free* DIY 'Make Human' figures, completely breaking from DAZ' dominance...

YMMV.

ps: What exactly is DAZ' PC+ ? They're a bit short on info pop-ups or FAQs for the 'obvious' stuff...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes
Lemons
hearts

#3  Nik 06 Oct 2020 17:02

" ps: What exactly is DAZ' PC+ ? They're a bit short on info pop-ups or FAQs for the 'obvious' stuff... "

Ah, 'Platinum Club'...

But like Rendo version, I don't buy enough 'Big Ticket' items to be worthwhile. And, often, Rendo sales of 'fun stuff' undercut the premium price...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes
Lemons
hearts

#4  rico 07 Oct 2020 23:18

You know, I was thinking just that thing today ... I like DAZ3D ... but that doesn't mean that EVERYthing they do is good . It seems as if DAZ3D is deliberately trying to 'limit' or 'hamper' Poser users.

Until recently, a person could search for Poser items in their online store by selecting "Poser" in the software filter box... but now, that option has been entirely removed , even though previous items still contain the "Poser" label... they just removed it from the filter box.

I did a different search for some Poser items and in that search the items also didn't show up... but when I clicked through, page-after-page, I eventually found the items.

I get the impression - but I'm not sure   - that they're following a similar approach with Carrara items, perhaps even removing important Carrara add-ons/plugins.

There appears to be a definite effort by DAZ3D to try to force EVERYbody into ONLY using DAZ Studio... while I applaud DAZ Studio , it doesn't have to be the only application we use. For example, we like   grape ice cream but that doesn't mean we have to reject chocolate ice cream, and we have place for both as well. DAZ3D must please not let greed and selfishness be in charge of driving their business.

DAZ3D even renamed items which are for "Poser" to "DAZ Studio Ps". Older items which included poses for M3 and V3 have been renamed to including poses for Genesis 2 Male and Female. They really seem to be on a drive to sideline Poser & previous items.

When DAZ3D recently promoted the various 'bridges' between DAZ Studio and other applications such as Blender, Max, and others, I was impressed by that and thought that Bondware should step up their game   to compete with that ability to import and export between mainstream modern formats.

Last edited by rico on 08 Oct 2020 20:28; edited 1 time in total 
 rico Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Elbow
Elbow

Tomatoes
Lemons
hearts

HideWas this topic useful?