Mesh Format Viewer / Conversion.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Mesh Format Viewer / Conversion.

#1  Nik 19 Jan 2020 21:44

I usually use 3DOC, which is free to personal use, but I've upgraded to 'paid' for more mesh export options.

3DOC can be a fussy eater. It struggles with some MMD PMD / PMX file-builds, and often scrambles MMD .X prop files. I've discovered that recent Windows updates have 'orphaned' its PNG texture handling, causing module execution exceptions when there's an Alpha Channel. With no easy fix, as the module's author no longer supports that code. 'Despaired of Windows', perhaps ??

Sadly, there are many MMD PNG textures with Alpha channels, as that environment lacks support for separate bit-masks...

I'm slowly learning how to 'rip'  such Alpha channel data to BMP for use in Poser.

Must ask Irfan if his free Irfan View has obscure options that will let me paint a PNG's Alpha channel without altering the RGB image...

D'uh...

More-or-less by accident, I found free open3mod viewer, which is not as versatile as 3DOC, but can do a fair range of mesh conversions, is much less fussy and does not choke on Alpha channels.

https://www.open3mod.com/

Comes in x32 & x64 flavours...
==

May I also recommend free XnView (personal) which can 'unpeel' and export PSD layers, should you not have photoshop or grok gimp...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Mesh Format Viewer / Conversion.

#2  ahjah 19 Jan 2020 23:58

Thanks for your HU, but I'm sorry to say, it don't open any files at all, and yes, I have all the VC++ and .net stuff installed.
I tried both. The installer and the standalone version.

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#3  ahjah 23 Jan 2020 00:59

XnView is a real nice one. I'm using IrfanView since 20+ years now, and I'm used to it. It's quite similar, but don't have the unpeeling feature

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#4  Nik 22 Feb 2020 01:29

Must be said that Zoltan will pounce on most 3DOC bugs. He recently fixed one that did not refresh the Open-GL cache when you switched between eg mesh, boned & textured. On-screen was correct, but an export to clip-board held previous version...

Although its now-orphaned 3rd-party module crashes when trying to read PNG textures with Alpha-channels, 3DOC sometimes mis-wraps texture maps it *can* read. They render wrong, but hard to see exactly why...

Ran into this a few days ago, with low-poly 'Easter Eggs'. Should have a neat ring of symbols around 'Equator'. Instead, fewer, distorted symbols appeared in 'High Arctic'.

I've been playing with 'equi-rectangular' and other full-wrapping textures, so tried tiling the 'whole-body' texture. 1 H x 2 V worked !! Sent Zoltan the relevant files. This gave sufficient clue for him to deploy bug-zapper, roll out a fix within 36 hours !!

As Poser can now import FBX models complete with rigging, I've collected some free, low-ish poly rigged models for study. Sadly, some FBX models are 'munged', will not import. Worse, FBX texture formats and usage seem very, very different to current Poser materials. Looks more like the comparative simplicity of P4 mapping. Whatever, the topic needs a lonnng tutorial...

Stay safe, stay well,
N

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#5  Nik 03 Mar 2020 02:36

Came across this free tool for converting XNALara .xps, .mesh and .ascii models + props to MMD PMX format. Even reads files 3DOC cannot grok.

https://www.deviantart.com/mariokar...erter-789330400

From that PMX file, free PmxEditor can export as OBJ/MTL but remember to 'mirror' if 'handed'...
https://www.deviantart.com/inochi-p...-v2-0-766313588

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#6  Nik 08 Apr 2020 02:29

Okay, I've found a way to list all the materials in an MMD's PMX/PMD file.

It is not pretty...

1) In PMX Editor, edit any 'non-Eng' material names and references to 'Eng'.
2) Ensure last material has text in 'memo' field. I add ##_place_holder_## to help search.
3) Export as CSV. Probably 2~~4 MB.
4) Load CSV into Wordpad.
5) Find the Materials section, which is some-where in the middle.
6) Carefully delete everything above and below.
7) Re-save the now slim-line CSV. Probably 2~~4 KB.
8 ) Open this in spreadsheet of your choice. Libre Office is *free*.
9) Compare to Materials list in PMX Editor. Note Editor counts from 0, Sheet from 1...

Nik 04/04/2020
--

Am currently investigating CSU Comipo files.
Comipo is NOT free, but happily imports OBJ and MQO models, and there are many, many community freebies.
CSU is a proprietary format, totally mungs imports. Another issue is that it only has a limited colour palette, so apparently drops any named texture calls, converting them to palette references. $registered 3DOC can usually retrieve the mesh, but cannot yet find / read the palette references. At least it keeps the material groupings !! Situation akin to getting an OBJ without its MTL to specify what's what...

Last edited by Nik on 08 Apr 2020 02:29; edited 1 time in total 
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#7  Chromium 08 Apr 2020 17:53

Sounds like a man on a mission.

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#8  Nik 10 Apr 2020 18:29

PP 11.3 has *not* mended the quirks of the FBX importer, nor has it added a 'scale to figure' option per OBJ.

When you've done a 'binary chop' on the scaling, anything between 0.5 ~~ 5000 of nominal 100%, Round#2 of cage-fight begins...

A very, very few FBX figures arrive rigged, upright and compliant. As for the rest, well, if you're lucky everything arrives. Some have the body merged to one mesh, cannot be posed without surgery and rigging, both currently beyond my wits. Others are a loose formation of body parts. And, hierarchies ?

Fortunately, I was informed that the easiest way to tame such 'swarms' is to parent them to a dummy figure. Free on R**y, Les Bentley has 'MinFig' [NOT MiniFig], while Anthony Appleyard has 'Dummy'.

You may have to change the origin on latter, to allow twirling of 'bound' FBX without problems.

D'uh, editing figure's zero/origin used to be *easy* in P4. In P11, I fumbled and blundered around parameters etc, eventually did it by accident. The on-line manual may have it, and it may even be easy, but I could not find the relevant search term.

OT: It's obviously an American manual, the index auto-generated by sorting document paragraph & chapter headings. Which only works if you know what *they* call the topic. At work, I used to plow through our lab instruments' thick technical manuals, annotating such auto-generated indexes with essential page references that we'd otherwise only find by accident...

I miss bound paper manuals...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#9  Nik 10 Apr 2020 18:35

Further to #5 above:

The free XPS-PMX converter is now at version #1.30, but something about the .exe file made my Norton's 'kill it with fire'.

Author notified, investigating. Probably a false-positive, worst case his cloudflare has been hacked...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#10  Nik 12 Apr 2020 12:44

Yeah, false-positive. Code is clean and check-summed okay, his Cloud seriously secure.

In this context, that error code means, "Never heard of you, eff off !!"

For a singular utility, which has been getting a small or large update each year for almost a decade...

Author NOT amused.

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post MoRe: Mesh Format Viewer / Conversion.

#11  Nik 17 May 2020 01:31

I'm still wrangling file conversions.

Biggest problem --After scaling !!--  with PoserPro and FBX is there's no 'browse' option as you get for eg OBJ/MTL imports. Which means if the external textures' folder is deep, deep within artist's C: drive and the call-path is 'baked in', you have a problem.

Hand-loading 10 ~ 20 ~ 30 ~ 50 ~~ 90+ textures via material room is non-trivial...

Easiest to do via reference to a bundled OBJ/MTL, else gotta open FBX in Autodesk's free FBX Toolkit's Explorer, dig down the Objects tree to Textures, explore them one by one...

D'uh...

I reckon the Poser import module wants FBX files that have embedded media rather than calling external files. A bit like the difference between stand-alone PP2 / CR2 and those that call an OBJ from the geometry folder...

( Remember when P3 / P4 OBJs were often parked any-which-way ? Sometime with the PP2/CR2, sometimes in an unexpected folder. Sometimes without a Runtime tree, meaning you gotta untangle the mess... )

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#12  ahjah 18 May 2020 00:21

Sounds like a lot of work. Lets hope it's worth it.

"( Remember when P3 / P4 OBJs were often parked any-which-way ? Sometime with the PP2/CR2, sometimes in an unexpected folder. Sometimes without a Runtime tree, meaning you gotta untangle the mess... )"

Well, these are plain text at least. You could simply look them up in a text editor...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

Post Blendered (sic) Wits...

#13  Nik 19 May 2020 22:56

Down-loaded a DA PMX freebie. Exported to OBJ/MTL, played with its simple texture map. Realised I could do a lot more with it if I could split the 'glass' top from the 'rock' base to allow separate texturing...

( Or kill the 'glass' from one, the 'base' from other then re-assemble. Or allocate all the points from either glass or base to a sub-object. Or whatever... )

So, after a couple of years, of avoiding it, I installed Blender.

D'uh, and I'd thought gimp, Unity and TurboCAD UI were intimidating, D*z Studio infuriating...

I've tried, 'struck out' on G & U, but I used to be good with TurboCAD, hope to re-boot old skills.

Today, though, IMHO, Blender's default UI must set some sort of record for ghastly ergonomics.

Happens, when I got Blender, I also got a hard-copy of 'Blender for Dummies'. Have found on shelf, dusted well, will peruse...

( Sadly, no use my watching YouTube tutorials, my wits don't work thus... )

Last edited by Nik on 19 May 2020 22:58; edited 1 time in total 
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#14  ahjah 19 May 2020 23:35

Wouldn't good ole UVMapper do this job in this case?
If you have separate materials for the orb and the rock already, you could simply assign separate groups to each material
and import into Poser (delete or rename the original mat file before importing, UVMapper saves this information directly to the obj) Use the Poser grouping tool to spawn props for each group, much simpler than fiddlig with Blender for this job IMHO. Blender is great but a real overload

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#15  Nik 20 May 2020 02:20

It is two meshes --Sphere + Base-- saved as one object, so one material, but your suggestion to use Poser's grouping tool is *excellent*.

IIRC, I played with grouping in my P4 days, made some body-armor for Posette...

Hmm...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

HideWas this topic useful?