What free UV mapping options do I have out there

Page 1 of 1

Post What free UV mapping options do I have out there

#1  Kaya 25 Mar 2006 22:16

What free uv mapping options do I have out there?  I know that wings have a uv option but sometimes it is hard to import and export and keep the same mesh.  I like the one that comes with wings but have more difficulty with importing and exporting and having it being the same mesh but diffrent uv as I have imported in.
Thanks again.

Kaya Gender: Female
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Location: Lost in my computer, inbetween several diffrent programs and browsing web too much
Tomatoes 560
Lemons 462
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  pangor 26 Mar 2006 05:07

Seeing your subject line I was going to recommend two programs.  But you already mentioned one of them.  Wings.  Make sure that your have the latest version, since UV mapping is a new and rapidly developing feature of Wings, even slightly older versions should be upgraded.

Aside from wings, there is UVMapper.  There are two versions of this program, the UVMapper Pro that needs to be purchased and the free version called UVMapper Classic.  UVMapper Classic is the software that I use for almost all UV work, I use Wings only for complex model unwrapping.  While UVMapper Classic appears to be limited, it was mor than enough for my remapping of Posette, in creating the Regina/Virgina series of characters.

You can download it from http://www.uvmapper.com/

pangor 

#3  Kaya 26 Mar 2006 05:19

I was actually playing around with Posette in wings.  I was regrouping her so that her breasts would be in the collars.  I got her eyes, head, chest, collars, left shoulder and left forearm done so far.  I saved it and paused on working on it so I can get something else done.  I was orignally going to look at Jessi to see how the groups are done but her breasts are in the chest group too.  So I looked at Aiko 3's.  Looks like if I get finished with Posette, Jessie has problems too.  Opps I went off topic.   If I talk about this more I will start a new topic.

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Location: Lost in my computer, inbetween several diffrent programs and browsing web too much
Tomatoes 560
Lemons 462
hearts 0

#4  pangor 26 Mar 2006 07:34

no problem, our topics do wander.  Remeber that you can always split morphs in  Poser, like in the case of Posette chest group, you can select the let's say the breast droop morph and have Poser split it, then you will have three droop morphs, the original that will affect both breast, then you will also have one fro the right side only and one for the left side only.

If you are looking for the breast reacting to arm positions, then a regroup like that of eve would be required.  Aiko 3 is not a good model to use as a pattern, you would be better in checking either an existing split chest Eve.  For models from DAZ, V3 or SP3 would be a better comparison to Posette, the best would be V1 or V2.

pangor 

#5  Tormie 15 Apr 2006 22:43

Thank you for the explanations pangor   !

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#6  Kaya 22 Jun 2006 23:44

I found a program that has some uv mapping ablities.  Hexagon 2 is the program.  It was real cheap (but not free) when I got it.  So I need to learn how to uv map with Hexagon 2.

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 560
Lemons 462
hearts 0

#7  melamkish 23 Jun 2006 00:58

Well, eventually I will be able to help there.  

I've been using Hex to learn all aspects of modeling.  But beware.  One of the areas that is still rather buggy is the uv mapping function.  I have gotten it to work on one model, including exporting a uv map with textures, but on other models it doesn't work properly unless I map first with UV Mapper and then import the model back in as an obj.  

I think part of the problem is other areas of the program including obj export have some minor bugs.  For example a model may look good in Hex, but when exported with nothing but shading domains (same thing as a material group) and opened in Poser, some areas of the model are black. If I then use some of UV Mappers tools, I find that those portions of the model may have inverted normals, or non-planar faces.  

There is a basic mapping tut available.  Will find it later for you.

melamkish Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

Post Re: What free UV mapping options do I have out there

#8  artmiser 25 Jul 2006 15:48

[font=Arial:513e9d991a][/font:513e9d991a]I've had such a hard time figuring out remapping a poser figure. Are there any tutorials available for that?

What I'd like to do is completely replace one texture map with another. I've seen it done for p3 and p4 figures.

Thanks!

artmiser 
Lurker Surfer
Lurker Surfer
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 10
Lemons 5
hearts 0

#9  Tormie 25 Jul 2006 18:13

There are true masters about that technique, one of them is Pitklad

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#10  rayera 25 Jul 2006 22:16

Kaya: what problem are you having importing and exporting OBJs from wings? I did a lot of work modeling clothes, and morph targets with it and never had a problem, another free aplication and really powerful to UV map is Blender you can get really unwraped UVs with it, (I wish more people would know about the power of and not be afraid of this aplication). One thing is reorder the UV maping and something diferect is redo the UV of a rigged figure, as far as I know it should be done before the grouping or after reUV then regroup the figure, I may be wrong about all this, since what I say is based on my own experience, as Tormie sayed Pitklad is the creator of NEA and a true master on this, I wish he read this topic to enlight us.

argentina.png rayera Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3930
Lemons 2560
hearts 11

#11  Posy 25 Jul 2006 22:16

Where?   Can you remember any time that work modeling clothes and morph targets with it and did it?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

HideWas this topic useful?