file conversion

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post Re: file conversion

#16  melamkish 19 Oct 2006 02:21

One thing I just noticed.  I hope we are talking about the same citygen program. I noticed that your file extension is .wrl and the file format of citygen v1.5 is .cty.  

The program I have is here

http://members.tripod.com/~DCieslak/util.html

melamkish Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

#17  melamkish 19 Oct 2006 02:43

I just opened your CitygenV0.9.wrl file using vrml in my CAD program, exported it as a 3ds file and successfuly opened it in Poseray.  The file openes upside down, but that should not be an issue. I also imported the 3ds file into Poser, it would appear successfully, but the exported obj will not open in my modeling program.

Further checking in my CAD shows that the entire city is one group, with no individual points or lines.  Also in Poser, at a reduced scale of only 1%, the city was extremely large.

This is begining to intrigue me, so will play a bit more and see what I can figure out over the next few days.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#18  melamkish 19 Oct 2006 03:05

Well, last word for tonight.

One of my modeling programs will import VRML.  I opened the file, re-exported it in that programs native format, opened it in another modeling program and exported it as an obj, which I successfully opened in Poser.

I guess what this tells me is that the file appears to be in good condition, but may not convert properly depending on the implementation of the conversion format used by conversion programs. I can only add, make sure all your conversion programs are up to date with the most recent bug fixes. This may help solve your problem.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#19  ahjah 19 Oct 2006 22:37

Thanks for this information I was hoping, you'd join this thread

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#20  Tormie 19 Oct 2006 22:42

Thanks Shawn  

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#21  duttond 20 Oct 2006 10:57

melamkish";p="33104 wrote: 
You may want to upgrade to citygen v1.5. I looked at one of your files and it was generated by version 0.8/0.9.

I upgraded to citygen v1.5 and I still can't read it with PoseRay (same "no faces, no verticies" errors). I don't believe I've ever had problems reading the citygen files with PovRay but I still need to convert POV files to OBJ, 3DS or some other format that I can read in Poser or bryce.

Thanks for your efforts so far.

blank.gif duttond Gender: Male
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 330
Lemons 289
hearts 0

#22  melamkish 20 Oct 2006 13:12

It may only be an issue with the older version files. I'll take a little time tonight and see if I can generate a v1.5 file in citygen, export as a pov file and see what Poseray does.

Theoretically, if Poseray can read the file, it should be able to convert it to an obj.  Will let you know what I find out.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#23  melamkish 21 Oct 2006 03:22

It would seem that citygen v1.5 may not be 100% compatible with POVray 3.6.  When I try to render in Povray I keep geting parse errors, which makes me believe it lags a few revisions. These syntax errors generated by citygen may be why the file ends up with no vertices or faces in Poseray.

The very first time I tried doing this same thing, I was able to correct the file errors and get a successful render, but that was over 6 months ago. I will have to do some more experimenting to figure out what I did.  Once I get that far, I can see if Poseray can convert a POV file to OBJ.

But this may or may not be possible.  The technical information buried in the POVray help file states that it is easy to convert to, but difficult to convert from POV to other formats.  This is because POVray is similar to a scripting language and the data is not stored in the same manner or format used by most rendering platforms.  So, although Poseray can read v3.6 POV files, it may not be able to convert the data to an obj file.  I will continue to research this weekend and see if I can get an answer.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#24  duttond 23 Oct 2006 11:17

melamkish";p="33125 wrote: 
It would seem that citygen v1.5 may not be 100% compatible with POVray 3.6.  When I try to render in Povray I keep geting parse errors, which makes me believe it lags a few revisions. These syntax errors generated by citygen may be why the file ends up with no vertices or faces in Poseray.

I had the same problem...for each error, the line before ended with a number.  When I put a semicolon after the number to terminate the line, everything worked fine.  I have also used the modified file in Poseray but got the same errors.

melamkish";p="33125 wrote: 

But this may or may not be possible.  The technical information buried in the POVray help file states that it is easy to convert to, but difficult to convert from POV to other formats.  This is because POVray is similar to a scripting language and the data is not stored in the same manner or format used by most rendering platforms.  So, although Poseray can read v3.6 POV files, it may not be able to convert the data to an obj file.  I will continue to research this weekend and see if I can get an answer.

Yes, that is a possibility.  If that is the case, I'll have to try navigating around the view and rendering it in a 2d format to use as a background for Poser or bryce - that's what I do with Terragin. In my experience, the navigation is the hardest part of this method.  There are some city generator includes (separate product) that I also have and it takes me 20 to 30 renders to edit the source manually and get what I want.

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 330
Lemons 289
hearts 0

#25  melamkish 23 Oct 2006 12:24

I finally got a good render by inserting "#version 3.51" before the first two declares. No other changes. After saving the file it would still not open in Poseray.  

I hit the search engines and could not find reference to any conversion programs other than Crossroads, which now has a dead link, and one shareware file converter with a restricted demo. The demo skips every fifth vertex/face in the conversion, so I skipped downloading.  The full registered version requires a payment and license. If you want the link, let me know and I will PM it to you.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#26  duttond 23 Oct 2006 12:29

melamkish";p="33147 wrote: 
I hit the search engines and could not find reference to any conversion programs other than Crossroads, which now has a dead link, and one shareware file converter with a restricted demo. The demo skips every fifth vertex/face in the conversion, so I skipped downloading.  The full registered version requires a payment and license. If you want the link, let me know and I will PM it to you.

Not at this time. I don't like paying for something in the "hope" that it will be useful.  

Maybe sometime in the future after I've exhausted all the possibilities and REALLY want the conversion, I'll change my mind.  

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 330
Lemons 289
hearts 0

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL