Poser Keeps Freezing :(

Page 1 of 1

Post Poser Keeps Freezing

#1  jwarndt 11 Apr 2015 02:10

Hi gang, sorry I've been out of touch. Had a hell of a time moving into my new, government-subsidized "senior citizen" apartment. Then it took 3 weeks to get home internet service, when AT&T finally sent out a guy to tinker with with the wires all day till he finally got it working. Then I slipped on the ice and sprained my wrist. Damn, that hurt!
But I've been working on Varinka and want to put both my old windows xp pc's to work on her, so I can set up scenes on one while the other does those long, long renders. But on this one, every time I try to delete a figure or prop, it simply freezes up on me and I have to use Task Manager to close it out. I had this problem before, and somehow solved it to the extent that it worked about half the time. I can't remember HOW i did that, and now its back to being completely useless.
Rebooting doesn't help, nor does changing from OpenGL hardware to SpreeD software in the Display ---> Preview Drawing column. I've tried updating the video driver but the update site tells me there aren't any available.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

blank.gif jwarndt Gender: Male
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 390
Lemons 118
hearts 70

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Poser Keeps Freezing

#2  ahjah 11 Apr 2015 14:11

Hi John
Good to see you around an I hope your wrist is healing well.
About your Poser problem, I know it can take quite some time deleting items from a scene, and Poser will not respond for some seconds, that's normal. But I never experienced a complete freeze, so I'm sorry to say, got no idea for a solution.
Lets wait 'till the others return from Easter vacation...

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#3  jwarndt 12 Apr 2015 01:10

Hi Ahjah. Thanks, my wrist is almost back to normal. Took almost a month for the swelling to go down.
Well, I discovered that at least Poser will still render a scene on this pc, albeit very, very slowly. I'll probably have to get a new video card installed. I'm not technically proficient, so I'd have to hire somebody to do that for me. I've got to get this project moving faster if I ever want to finish it. But that also means wasting a lot less time on youtube and facebook.

ahjah wrote: [View Post]
Hi John
Good to see you around an I hope your wrist is healing well.
About your Poser problem, I know it can take quite some time deleting items from a scene, and Poser will not respond for some seconds, that's normal. But I never experienced a complete freeze, so I'm sorry to say, got no idea for a solution.
Lets wait 'till the others return from Easter vacation...

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 390
Lemons 118
hearts 70

#4  ahjah 12 Apr 2015 15:25

Hi John.
I don't think it's a graphics card issue. Render time depends on the CPU alone. The graphics card is only needed for the preview display AFAIK. If you experience significantly longer rendering times than before on the same hardware it could be you are using different render settings than you used to. Raytracing, depth of field, and especially ambient occlusion can affect render time extremely. I'd check all this before buying new hardware...

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#5  jwarndt 12 Apr 2015 18:09

Hi Ahjah,  It's not for the rendering that I'd buy that new chip, but just so Poser wouldn't freeze every time I try to delete something. I've waited as long a half hour, and nothing happens. My remark on rendering time was based only on the first few centimeters that appeared at the top in firefly. I just wanted to see if it would render at all, and apparently it will. I've had some complex renders on my other pc take nearly twelve hours for a 800x600 image.

ahjah wrote: [View Post]
Hi John.
I don't think it's a graphics card issue. Render time depends on the CPU alone. The graphics card is only needed for the preview display AFAIK. If you experience significantly longer rendering times than before on the same hardware it could be you are using different render settings than you used to. Raytracing, depth of field, and especially ambient occlusion can affect render time extremely. I'd check all this before buying new hardware...

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 390
Lemons 118
hearts 70

#6  Chromium 14 Apr 2015 17:21

You say Poser is freezing, as in "Not reponding"?, if so then what Ahjah, says is correct, and your PC is busy working, especially if Task Manager, is showing a high CPU usage for Poser. Be patient and let it do it's thing on one item deletion to prove this, or not.

If you can test your PC, with other applications and all is not fine, then you'll be wanting to buy in some external help.

Ahjah, is correct, the graphics card is for viewing and manipulating in the pose room etc, and the CPU, is for the rendering.

Your graphics driver has served you well enough, so I'm more concerned with an ageing hard drive.

Without stripping your PC apart, can you CCleaner your HD, and Defrag it?
https://www.piriform.com/download

Please go to that sight you're trying to stay away from called youtube, and search "CCleaner", and "Defraggler", for instructions in a digestable format. Defraggler, has a health check option for a hard drive, check it please.

At this point, I'm pointing at your HD, in relation to your Runtime, and that heavy usage will destroy it (it's normal), and best accepted if you're a heavy user. You'll just have to remember all the scenes you're currently doing, will add some wear.

(I meant site...)

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

Last edited by Chromium on 14 Apr 2015 17:22; edited 1 time in total 
gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#7  jwarndt 14 Apr 2015 19:51

Hi Chromium, I use CCleaner frequently, but I haven't defragged in a while. I'll give that a try.

Chromium wrote: [View Post]
You say Poser is freezing, as in "Not reponding"?, if so then what Ahjah, says is correct, and your PC is busy working, especially if Task Manager, is showing a high CPU usage for Poser. Be patient and let it do it's thing on one item deletion to prove this, or not.

If you can test your PC, with other applications and all is not fine, then you'll be wanting to buy in some external help.

Ahjah, is correct, the graphics card is for viewing and manipulating in the pose room etc, and the CPU, is for the rendering.

Your graphics driver has served you well enough, so I'm more concerned with an ageing hard drive.

Without stripping your PC apart, can you CCleaner your HD, and Defrag it?
https://www.piriform.com/download

Please go to that sight you're trying to stay away from called youtube, and search "CCleaner", and "Defraggler", for instructions in a digestable format. Defraggler, has a health check option for a hard drive, check it please.

At this point, I'm pointing at your HD, in relation to your Runtime, and that heavy usage will destroy it (it's normal), and best accepted if you're a heavy user. You'll just have to remember all the scenes you're currently doing, will add some wear.

(I meant site...)

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 390
Lemons 118
hearts 70

#8  jwarndt 14 Apr 2015 22:46

OK, I defragged AND turned off the malwarebytes anti-malware program that I use (which is a ravenous cpu glutton,) and I was able to delete that O.J. Simpson lookalike "Ben" who appears on any new Poser 7 document, so I think I'll be able to use this pc it once I take it off line. But as long as I'm using it on the internet, I've got to keep that malwarebyes on.
So anyway, it appears it WAS the hard drive.

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 390
Lemons 118
hearts 70

#9  Chromium 15 Apr 2015 17:06

In which case your PC is fine, and you need to make with regular house keeping on your HD.

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

HideWas this topic useful?