Update-Phase 1 finished

Page 1 of 1

Post Update-Phase 1 finished

#1  Tormie 21 Dec 2008 22:34

Hi friends.

I hopefully finished just now the first phase of the site update.

As I told you what I've done untill now is to restore all the data of the site in the new platform, I mean: all your data, all the posts, the files and the pictures should be in place and the site should work fine. Today, I focused on installing the security mods. All the guns, missiles, gates and cannons are greased and in place   , so I reopened the registrations. About this, there is a new improved system, I hope it won't kick you out for no reasons: for now it seems to work well ...

I'm far to finish the job btw, what I've to do is to restore all the rest: the layout of the pages, the links in the main row, a lot of editing on the code of the pages. I'll also have to add some styles, for now, there is only one and it has some problems.

I've to say that this kind of work simply take a lot of time: I spent the whole weekend on the chair editing files and now I'm very, very tired (and tomorrow I've to wake up at 4 a.m. ).
Hopefully I'll end this job before the end of the year but I'll be home only a couple of days during Christmas.

You can help me testing the site: all the links are in the left box of the main page, let me know if all is working: things like uploading pictures and files, posting, attachments etc. and I would know if the site loads normally. There should  be no more full size pictures exploding from the thumbnails in the front page for example. As i said, I'll restore the front page with the old blocks soon with the other features like the game room.

The site was very slow, now it looks very faster to load, the cache system works finally well and with no errors till now...

There are also new features installed:
a brand new chat here : http://www.posetteforever.com/ajax_chat.php that you can also use and see at the bottom of the front page, it's a real chat a bit different from the shoutbox: the replies can be seen immediatly, you can chat there like if you're using a messenger
In the album some things have been added: you can watch your pictures or somebody else's ones for comments :D, there is also a rss feed for pictures that I've not yet tested.

Now I'm going to sleep . take a tour and let me know what you like and what you don't like. And of course, what's not working

Tormie

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Update-Phase 1 Finished

#2  WandW 23 Dec 2008 02:57

Boy, Quite a different look!!

I'll miss the old sign & fire escape, and I guess I'll never know what the '5' sign meant.  It would be nice to have those old graphics posted somewhere for nostalgic folks  (like me!)

Thanx for your hard work,

Rod

blank.gif WandW 
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 40
Lemons 20
hearts 0

#3  tda42 23 Dec 2008 03:41

The 5 means 5 years that PF has been up and running WandW. Also welcome back and hope to see more often.  

Last edited by tda42 on 23 Dec 2008 03:41; edited 1 time in total 
blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#4  Endosphere 23 Dec 2008 09:43

Overall everything looks very good.  I like the stars background, it's very happy.

A few troubles I had navigating the site:

--I wanted to upload a picture to the gallery area, but didn't see where to do so.  Instead everyone was spared because there was a little grey box at the bottom of the PF gallery page that said:
You cannot upload new pics in this category
You can post comments to pics in this category
You cannot edit your pics and comments in this category
You can delete your pics and comments in this category

I went back to the front page to see if there was a new upload spot there, but there was a grey box around my name in the top corner that said "User Block."  I went back to the gallery and was able to post some comments on other folks' pictures, though.

--It seems like the preview pictures on the download files pages load much slower, but it could be my imagination.

In general everything looks great, thanks for your hard work in making this a nice place.

Endosphere

blank.gif Endosphere Gender: Male
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 490
Lemons 202
hearts 15

#5  Whazizname 23 Dec 2008 12:53

I haven't noticed any problems with the new site setup. It certainly loads faster in my antique browser of choice!  

The only thing that I 'don't like', is that it is not possible to see a specific users entire gallery. It would be great to show off all the various adventures of Posy & Tormie.   {This is small thing, and the previous set up also had this limitation...}

PS.
I did just notice that the "Home" link at the bottom of this thread (in the pink & white band), didn't cause any change, and the "Home" link at the top (in pink & white band) returns the page to the bottom.  That might need a looking at...  

Last edited by Whazizname on 23 Dec 2008 12:59; edited 2 times in total 
usa.png Whazizname Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 5290
Lemons 3860
hearts 101

#6  Tormie 29 Dec 2008 01:43

Whazizname wrote: [View Post]

The only thing that I 'don't like', is that it is not possible to see a specific users entire gallery. It would be great to show off all the various adventures of Posy & Tormie.   {This is small thing, and the previous set up also had this limitation...}

PS.
I did just notice that the "Home" link at the bottom of this thread (in the pink & white band), didn't cause any change, and the "Home" link at the top (in pink & white band) returns the page to the bottom.  That might need a looking at...  

Hi Whazizname, sorry for the late reply ... In order to see all the pictures of an user, just click on his/her nickname and you'll see the profile page, on the top right there are the links to see all the posts or all the pictures of the user, this was the same of the old site, and i think that doing it in the album causes only to see one page without paginations... Maybe I'll try to "fix" it.

For the "Home" link, it's a bit tricky to fix, I did it in the "old" site but I've to remember what I did. In any case it's is all due to the fact that the main page of the site is "/" but phisically is "index.php" but if I leave "index.php" without changing it to "/" our bots think that are two pages with the same content... I'll fix it soon, in any case it simply goes to the main page, the link is everywhere (the big banner too)...

Well, I almost fixed the front page, there are only a couple of little problems to solve.

In the future there will be a new download page, the software is already in place. The one that is installed now caused me some headaches, this new one is, probably, better. Nothing special will change, it will be an usual list of categories, exactly the same as now, with files in it.

the only problem is that I've to add manually each file, with the author and all the rest   , so probably you'll see it in 2010   ...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#7  GrouchoCaesar 08 Mar 2009 20:53

(Huddling in a corner holding his blankey...)

Change is Good, Change is Good, Change is Good, Change is... WHHHAAAAAHHHHH!!!

>sob<

Resists the urge to react to change the way most adult cats do... it takes an age to get rid of the smell!

OK... now not quite so fearful.

new_zealand.png GrouchoCaesar Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

Post Re: Update-Phase 1 finished

#8  Tormie 08 Mar 2009 22:01

I hope you like your new cat litter

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#9  GrouchoCaesar 09 Mar 2009 02:39

Mmmmmm.... crunchy.

new_zealand.png GrouchoCaesar Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

#10  JanReinar 09 Mar 2009 12:43

You made a great work Davide!                            

blank.gif JanReinar Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

Post Re: Update-Phase 1 finished

#11  Tormie 16 Mar 2009 00:26

Ok, the site will need some manual editing on the posts and the comments: I want to search and replace some more strange characters and no more working links that have the old format. it will need some hours with the site closed. maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

I added some more features in the forum, like the "Similar topics" at the bottom of each one and I'm working on the album to fix some things in the cache.

I've also fixed an error on displayed links in the forum, that was huge, a bug in the software  

There are other minor bugs that I found and I've contacted the author of the software, they will be fixed with the stable release.

I'm now working on the album in order to fix the cache...

We only lack some more active users   ...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

HideWas this topic useful?