Another upgrade...

Page 1 of 1

Post Another upgrade...

#1  Tormie 05 Mar 2009 01:37

Yes, there was another upgrade to the site...

The reason is that I was having some problems with the recent one, the main problem was the graphic that was in some way messy and difficult to view, then there were a lot of things not working properly, for example some links were not working, the lo-fi version was bad (if you are on slow connection can be useful and it's used by Bots) etc.

Honestly, I was waiting for the new official version of this software (that is called Icyphoenix and it's based on phpBB) to come out but it looked like it is still in development (maybe because the the coder is Italian like me   ) but I succeeded to grab a SVN beta version and I installed it with this theme that I like a lot (still not yet distributed).

You can see that the pages are smaller in width, you should be able to see the whole page without scrolling from left to right even at lower resolutions and on laptops .

There are many new features, you can do almost everything and add any contents to the site, the security has been also improved, by the software itself and I added something of my own   , you should have noticed that we had no serious spamming since a long while  

Some important notes:

-The links to the pages of the sites are changed, I mean, you'll notice nothing if you surf on the site, but links to the pages here coming from other sites will probably go nowhere: if you posted a link to a page of Posetteforever you should change it (obviously the main link is the same...). I could even reinstall that way of showing the links but the original software has been improved on SEO (search engines optimization) and I didn't want to mess up too much with the code.

-The speed of the site will be slower for a while, this is because I had to delete all cached data, for example the cahce of the album's pictures. After a while it will go at normal speed even because it is surfed by Bots. The site will run more on cached data that on direct accesses to the database, so the speed is limited to what is provided by our hosting company (that is Godaddy, at least for one more year: they haven't noticed but they gave me 2 years instead of 1 when I renewed last time because I complained that my payment has not been accepted so someone made things twice   ). In any case I'm not so much disappointed by the speed of the site, even because it is in Arizona and I'm in Italy   , the ones of you that lives in the USA can say if it is normal or slow...

-During the upgrade I corrected the data in the database: there were some strange letters here and there, due to the last transfer from an old database version (SQL 4) to the new one (SQL 5) and a different characters set. I'll modify those typo errors if there are still any, when I see them, or you can bump me when you see something strange.

-The most important note: I tested the site and it worked fine, but as usual, something can be not working or not working well, please write to me or in the forum (this topic is made for it...) so that I can fix it: if I don't know I can't do anything.

I planned to finish the work in one day but it was impossible, I stood here on the armchair for plain 12 hours (of my free day...) and my back is yelling   , I'll do the rest in the next days, hopefully .

My road trip is:

-Restore the Games Room: it has been already installed but I've to add the games and hopefully the old scores...

-Restore the Cash (or you can't play the games...)

-Reinstall the automatic Flags

-Fix the "online users" in the front page so that it will show the Flags and the Bots like it was in the past

-Write a new Welcome page for Guests a little more dynamic and linked to something like "What is Posetteforever" and the history (short...) of the site, this is something that has been suggested to me by who came here but didn't know what the site was for (and what Posette is   )

-Move the files in the download page to a newer interface, it has to be done manually so I don't think to do it in short times...

I plan to make those fixes in a short time so that I can dedicate myself on the site itself, I mean the contents ...

I've tested it with some browsers: Firefox and Safari on Mac Os and Firefox and Internet Explorer on Windows: there is a difference while loading the pages, especially in Internet Explorer, but once loaded the page looks fine even using this one ( ). let me know if you see something strange.

I hope that you like the look of the site, it is simple and I like it. As I said, this is not an official version of the software, when it will come out, new themes and languages will be added, so for who of you prefer a dark theme or something different just wait a wile, I'll install them.

Time to take some rest friends   , I hope you enjoy the upgrade...

Long Life Posetteforever   

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Another upgrade...

#2  Tormie 09 Mar 2009 01:21

Job is 90% done. Being this software in beta stage I'll need to change the files with the release version when it will come out but there will be only minor differences.

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

• Back to top Page bottom

HideWas this topic useful?