Upgrading From Windows Xp

Page 1 of 1

Post Upgrading From Windows Xp

#1  jwarndt 13 Mar 2014 23:51

Hi group, I've been using windows xp on my pc and was aware that microsoft is ending updates as of April 8th, meaning that from then on any windows xp computer on line will be vulnerable to attack. Well, I'd been under the impression that upgrading to windows 7 or 8 would just be a matter of shelling out some $$$ and installing the new operating system; that all the software on it would remain in place.

Well yesterday I learned that would not be the case! I've lost CD's or download links for a lot of the software on my PC, and even uploading the stuff I have is a huge hassle, and I am dreading the whole process.

Has anybody dealt with this? I found a link to a software firm that claims to have a product that will allow you to load windows 7 onto a windows xp computer and save your existing programs. Would posting that link here just to get some opinions on it contravene this site's "no commercial links" policy? I wouldn't profit from it in any way but to possibly save a lot of hassle in the transition if it works.

Last edited by jwarndt on 13 Mar 2014 23:52; edited 1 time in total 
blank.gif jwarndt Gender: Male
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 390
Lemons 118
hearts 70

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Upgrading From Windows Xp

#2  Chromium 14 Mar 2014 19:13

For XP have a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZHoljunA0E

Also here if you need some more pointers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr7ajYZD8CA

I use XP, both 32, and 64 bit, been eagerly waiting for M$, to drop support (seriously). As for security, don't use IE, stick to safe sites, and you'll be fine.

If you're going to upgrade back up everything before you begin. Though I always start from scratch with a fresh install, slow I know.

The linux guys use something called clonezilla, you may want to take a look at it before you upgrade, it could save you much hassle if you decide to revert.

Here:
http://clonezilla.org/

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#3  jwarndt 15 Mar 2014 01:36

Thaks Chromium, I'll check that out.  I used some some sort of cloning freeware of a different name a couple years ago to back up a hard drive. The pc I use Poser on is not on line, so I don't have to back that one up, but it's old and can't last forever, so I have Poser installed on this one as well.

You say don't use IE. I rarely do. Would you say firefox or chrome (or another?) is the safest?

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 390
Lemons 118
hearts 70

#4  Maelstromme 15 Mar 2014 18:54

I use a browser called SeaMonkey. It is really similar to Mozilla and I have no problems with it. It runs well on older and slower computers too.

us.png Maelstromme Gender: Female
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2870
Lemons 310
hearts 430

#5  Chromium 15 Mar 2014 21:05

Firefox, is good and a faster 64bit version is Waterfox.

Chrome, is fine too.

The reason I say not IE, is that M$, has some bad programs (IE & Outlook) that are the actual weak links for an OS, not the OS it's self as far as security is concerned.

An offline machine should be pretty safe, and as long as your browsing machine confirms downloads are safe then you can effectively do away with the antivirus (on the offline machine), that will actually speed things up, especially useful for your Poser work. My Poser laptop, has no antivirus, and runs better without one.

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#6  jwarndt 02 Apr 2014 18:03

Maelstromme wrote: [View Post]
I use a browser called SeaMonkey. It is really similar to Mozilla and I have no problems with it. It runs well on older and slower computers too.

Thanks,maelstromme. I'd heard about seamonkey a couple years ago but forgot about it. So I've just now downloaded and am using it now. Although it's said to be just like firefox, it seems to work faster.

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 390
Lemons 118
hearts 70

#7  jwarndt 02 Apr 2014 18:11

Chromium wrote: [View Post]
For XP have a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZHoljunA0E

Also here if you need some more pointers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr7ajYZD8CA

I use XP, both 32, and 64 bit, been eagerly waiting for M$, to drop support (seriously). As for security, don't use IE, stick to safe sites, and you'll be fine.

If you're going to upgrade back up everything before you begin. Though I always start from scratch with a fresh install, slow I know.

The linux guys use something called clonezilla, you may want to take a look at it before you upgrade, it could save you much hassle if you decide to revert.

Here:
http://clonezilla.org/

chromium, I've just now watched that guy's videos. He speaks about another of his videos that shows the user how to set up user and administrative accounts and claims that doing that properly will increase your security twenty-fold. I haven't the foggiest how mine is set up, so before I do anything I've got to dig that one up.  I'd rather be rending Posey!  I've probably got the worst case of unmedicated adult ADHD on the books, and all this technical stuff just makes my head spin!
But thanks for the tips

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 390
Lemons 118
hearts 70

#8  Chromium 03 Apr 2014 16:43

Judging by what you've done I'd say you're running with admin rights at the moment.

So all you'll be doing is adding another account with limited rights, though knowing you're offline, it seems you should be safer than most anyway.

You'll see you're doing okay, so don't let the XP support ending panic you into worrying.

I remember at one place I worked in the 90's, I had a 286 DOS machine, a 486 win 3.11 machine, and a Pentium Win NT machine. They were all offline running custom software and it mattered not that the 286 and 486 were never going to be doing much else (they were self contained), as there were no other machines that were set up to do what they did. Similarly I can run Poser on my little old XP laptop until it gives up the ghost.

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Windows 10?? Kraizydo I'm New, Please Whip Me Gently 3 06 Oct 2015 19:49 View latest post
ahjah

Page 1 of 1