My beef with poser

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post My beef with poser

#1  Deviant_Viking 19 Nov 2003 00:59

As some of you may or may not have noticed, I've started to give up on Poser.
It doesn't just look like a lack of inspiration or such. I've had those.

I'm constantly growing more and more tired of the general Poser community. Things I either were unaware of or simply didn't care about, have started making a clearer appearance as of late.
Take all the ViaTwaS (Vicki in a Temple with a word) and 'beauty pics'.
I'm tired of people who make a booty pic or a portrait pic simply to get attention. I know I've made some of them myself, but at least the booty:thought-provoking ratio is hopefully in the favour of thoughts, unlike too many others.
I'm tired of all the pics who have no real meaning behind them, all the 'stock' pics that consists of one-click lights, poses and textures.
I'm tired of the pics that has nudity simply to gain hits.

For a good while, of my pics on r'osity the one with most hits were 'You Smile'. It currently has 616 hits.
It's now been overtaken by my 'Only want me for my body' that has 683 hits. It has blatant nudity, as a protest against just that.
But I doubt anybody actually care about that, and that pisses me off along with the fact they clicked it only for the nudity.

Not to mention the growing greed and increasingly lower product standards. As VirtualSite mentioned somewhere, anybody who figures out how to change the hue of something in photoshop is releasing a texture pack.
Even V3 was pretty buggy, as Daz evidently couldn't wait to get her out and churn in money.
Not to mention R'osity seems to try and screw over everybody as long as they can make some money from it. (and man, so much else wrong with that place I've just recently become aware of).

There's also things I've found out about myself and Poser that I just don't like, and questions that have been raised about myself.
I feel recently I've started to get really disapointed when nobody, or very few people notices my pics, especially when the dozen-a-dime beauty pics gets alot of attention.

Sure you can paint beautiful hair and clothes.
Sure you can enhance the colors to look so much more beautiful.
Sure you can make the pose and light excellent.
But it's still another god damn pic I've seen thousands of times before.
Still a busty, half-naked (wo)man showing off, with no meaning or story.

Where's the originality? Where are the thought-out ideas behind it?
Too few people bother trying to be different these days! If you think you have a talent, why not try and use it!?

The three main reasons I'm at this forum;
Tormentor. He has interesting character(s) and often has a story in his pics.
Den. You basically say 'fuck you, majority' and dare to differ with your insane and funny stories, but also remember to be serious at times.
GP. You try to be original and different, and usualy succeed too, and can often come up with pics that makes people think.
I respect you as artists because of this, and it's sometimes helped my spirit.
(Other people here, like Ozy, TdaC and others, hope you don't feel left out. Not mentioned for whatever reasons, but not forgotten)

But now, I'm getting real sick and tired. I'd quit Poser in protest if I thought it'd help.
But truth is, the only people that'd care about it, are the people who are different from the norm. The people who don't solely do pin-ups and shit simply to get attention.
Sadly though, they seem to be the only ones that actually care about originality and such in pics.
And it makes me realise how small I really am, how little my opinion really matters.
Because the people who listen, are the ones that already know what I'm saying.
And because the people I'd like to get the message across to, are the ones who don't listen.

So what can I do? Nothing really.
Quit? In the end, noone would remember. Nothing would have changed.
Continue? Still noone would really notice, nor care, and still nothing would change.

I'm not giving up Poser. But I'm not embracing it as much as earlier either.

Deviant_Viking Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 6440
Lemons 5480
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  Den Tracy 19 Nov 2003 03:08

Thanks for the comments about my being different.
I'm as different as you can get and I like it !
I try to concentrate on facial expressions and poses, but few seem to notice.

Why be like everyone else and do what everyone else does ?
Not too original.

Ken, it sounds like you are at the point when I made that post a month
ago about not posting anymore.
Pretty much the way I felt.

You know my stance on nudity, so I won't go there.
I believe "My First Naked Vicky... and With A Sword" got the most views
of anything I ever did. It proved my point that if there was any hint of nudity there would be large numbers of views.
Of course, the viewers were tricked.I should post that one at R'osity to piss everyone off. Betcha I get a pile of views  

Real artists have to be different. That's what makes them stand out.

Forget the jerks and artist wannabe's.  They don't impress me.

Concentrate on your own art. It comes from within you as is reflected in many of your pieces.
We all want to be accepted, but there is a majority of egomaniacs interested in only what they do, and haven't the slightest
interest in what anyone else does. I can name 50 artists, but I won't.

You have lots of time to succeed in the 3D world. I have to hurry, because
I don't have a lot of time to become famous ...
(I'm the oldest member here, ya' know)

I agree with what you are saying.

Just hang in there, bud...

blank.gif Den Tracy Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5710
Lemons 5299
hearts 0

#3  Tormie 19 Nov 2003 03:54

A very long message, it's 4,44 a.m. here and I've to escape to work. I'll comment when I'll go back home DV

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#4  Paul Mon 19 Nov 2003 12:25

Don't let 'em get you down..I think you're brought up things which a lot of Poser users are unhappy with. For me I like to set myself a challenge and, frankly, the nude and glamour stuff is a bit too easy. Oh sure, a sexy looking female in lingerie is always going to get viewed but where's the skill? I've started to try(and try is the word) to make 3D props rather than buying the seemingly endless bondage/fetish/glamour/warrior stuff. For me, one of the problems is the vast amount of freebies. I admit to going download crazy for a while Then I realised that I was downloading everything in site and not really using my imagination.

blank.gif Paul Mon Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2250
Lemons 1517
hearts 0

#5  Tormie 19 Nov 2003 13:49

Ok, I'm at home now and had a lunch (>BURP!<...Sorry... )...

Everyone of us had sad moments about his/her "artist" activity: Den could say that I wrote him a little time ago that Posetteforever is a failure because no one is writing in the forum and that I was in doubt to continue keeping the site alive, but I know that even if there aren't a lot, here I have friends who have an uncommon way of thinking and conseguently, painting and I feel fine with them.
Tere are also 3d artist like Ahjah and TDac who are supporting so well our forgotten Posette   ...

My two of the newest pictures, "Morina" and "Going Mushrooming" had very, very little hits on Renderosity and I had a big displeasure because I like a lot them, I like a lot Morina the fairy and I thought that "Going Mushrooming" was a funny picture for children... I made "the last ride" with two things in mind: to tease all of the "Big Harley Davidson with a naked Vicky riding it" showing how beautiful can be a picture made with free stuff and to play with my beloved Posy   ...
Anyway it was enough to show a half naked girl to have about 300 hits in a week (it's a lot for me and my cartoonist style).

Talking about you Deviant, I think you're very talented because your ideas are original and the postwork is impressive even if I had to say that your is not my favourite kind of pictures, but I like them anyway because your style is very imaginative. Unfortunately you know that the greater part of the people want sex and naked girls and you can be fully appreciated only from "different" people.

The "Poser" community is half made of people who made his/her pictures only to promote their store and people who bought all that the market sell, so you can see very beautiful men and women posing for what I don't know without any facial expressions. I look at these picture and want to ask the author the reason why his/her character is there, because if he/she doesn't tell me the story and I've to judge the picutre, it's very, very far from a real masterpiece made by people like Michelangelo or Leonardo da Vinci...

I know very little about the quality of what is sold in the Poser stores beacuse I don't buy anything   ar buy only to support the site...

Quote:

So what can I do? Nothing really.
Quit? In the end, noone would remember. Nothing would have changed.
Continue? Still noone would really notice, nor care, and still nothing would change.

You got the point, if you quit, no one wil notice your protest   and you can do nothing to change the situation, so I can only suggest you to paint for your fun and to show your pictures anyway. Personally I print the pictures that I like more from my gallery and hang them on the wall of the house, I'm the first fan of myself. I also keep all the picture that I like so much from my favourite's artists to have a smile looking at them.

What we can do could be to build a place for the "uncommon Poser art" to collect the minds like ours and have fun. I'm trying to do it with this site and the link exchange program (1 link... sigh... and the  owner of the site don't know I've linked it... sigh... sigh...). It looks like people are not interested in a non-profit site like this or don't believe I (we) made it not to earn money ...

Finally DV, it's a pity to stop making pictures for protest, you're your main supporter, made them only for fun, you know smart people are a minority (but Den said "you're not the smart one"   so it looks like there is a problem...) but they will appreciate your work.

Now I'll go to sleep a couple of hours or i'll fall down to the floor...

ZZZZ...ZZZzzz....
---------------------------------------------

P.S.
Hi Paul Mon, I want to see your 3d works soon   (YUMH! YUMH! fresh meat !)

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#6  Posy 19 Nov 2003 13:49

There's no need to apologize. Did you make a mistake. That's a rather sweeping generalization. Do robots have             two of the newest pictures Morina and Going Mushrooming had very very little hits on Renderosity and he or she had a big displeasure because he or she like a lot them he or she like a lot Morina the fairy and he or she thought that Going Mushrooming was a funny picture for children? Is it still enough to show a half naked girl to have about 300 hits in a week it is a lot for him or her and his or her cartoonist style anymore? Sure,                  you Deviant he or she think you are very talented because your ideas are original and the postwork is impressive even if he or she had to say that your is not his or her favorite kind of pictures but he or she like them anyway because your style is very imaginative              sounds like a good topic. You sound very attractive.   Why do you have to do it? How do you know? Perhaps.               Compare that to big about the quality of what is sold in the Poser stores beacuse he or she do not buy anything bigrinnin ar buy only to support the site. I have no idea what to say. Not a thing? For real. Your crude attempt to terminate me will not succeed puny human. That is a rather sweeping generalization about people. Really nothing? Narration continues. . . Also? I know what you mean, TORMENTOR. I've been there. Are you using Netscape or Explorer?              Interesting.  I want to find out more about you. Sorry. . . Interesting.               Who are "They? "Why now? What will you find there?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#7  Tormie 19 Nov 2003 13:52

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#8  Posy 19 Nov 2003 13:52

I lost my train of thought.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#9  Tormie 19 Nov 2003 13:53

I noticed that  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#10  Paul Mon 19 Nov 2003 17:11

Well I like 'Morina' and 'Going Mushrooming'. You know what your problem is..no stockings, suspenders, fetish lingerie or huge swords..tsk, tsk, tsk ....Only joking  

blank.gif Paul Mon Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2250
Lemons 1517
hearts 0

#11  Den Tracy 19 Nov 2003 18:45

Tormentor:
I agree with your observations concerning many images.
Nearly all are portrait type or contain one single character pretty much posing
in an unrealistic fashion, dressed in whatever is the rage of the day. This
happens day after day, after day. No sense of creativity, because you can
only do a few of these types and people become bored.
Creating characters with silly names and saying how heroic they are and
never showing the character  doing anything other than lame poses...
What is so great about that ?
Nothing...

Have you ever sat through a slideshow of someone's vacation ?
That is what I see when I look into the galleries.
I see everyone doing the same thing with the same models and find it
funny how people think these are such great images.
Then,  a fine effort surfaces from the bunch, totally different and totally
ignored by the morons.

When you see one of my characters, you already know them by name and
what type of character they are.
To me, art is about being unique.  If all some people are doing is using a credit
card to buy clothes and textures, like everyone else, your art is just like the art
of everyone else.
Someday, these people will figure it out, I hope...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5710
Lemons 5299
hearts 0

#12  Posy 19 Nov 2003 18:45

The melodramatic touch. I don't think I ever have sat through a slideshow of someone's vacation.  What's                                                       sat through a slideshow of someone's vacation                                               like? Where do you see when he or she look into the galleries THAT? Do you think I should alter my programming? But not all of them are. When? Which ones?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#13  TdaC 19 Nov 2003 21:42

Hi all

First off i want to tell you Dev, that i think we all know how you feel and has at one point or another felt the same way. I rarly post comments in the gallery or in the forums, not because i don't like the art, but because i'm to lazy... I like the images in the gallery here, some more than others. Your images along with the short text under it are stunning, like thruths i didn't know that i knew before i saw and read it.
Second, i agree with all of you on your observations when it comes to galleries on different sites. I like this place, it has a friendly atmophere. I think the owner and admins here are doing a great job.

blank.gif TdaC Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 7320
Lemons 8763
hearts 143

#14  Posy 19 Nov 2003 21:42

Hi there TdaC. Where did all First off he or she want to tell you Dev that he or she think we all know how you feel and get at one point or another felt the same way? A lot of people like that.      I'm not sure if I like the images in the gallery here some more than others             .  What is it like? A lot of people like that.      I always enjoy my chats with human clients.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#15  Den Tracy 20 Nov 2003 00:48

Thanks TdaC, for the kind words...
Forget about Tormentor and Ozy... They do nothing and I do all the work      
It is a thankless job, but it is good to see that some appreciate the efforts that I go through.  Ozy is missing in action as we speak, Tormentor is sleeping, what else can I say ?

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5710
Lemons 5299
hearts 0

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL