Here's An Idea For Ya

Page 1 of 1

Post Here's An Idea For Ya

#1  Marv 19 Dec 2008 09:07

Oh that crazy Marv...here we go again.

This is just an idea I had one day. I was looking through all my many disks for a particular
Poser file that I downloaded years ago. And the more I looked the more I realized just how
much stuff I have downloaded over the years. We've all done it. We've all collected a
multitude of Poser freebies fully intending to use them at the time and end up forgetting
about them. I found things that I had forgotten about and items that just can't be found
anymore. Then the idea hit me. I said to myself "Marv, I said, Why not build an archive site
that resides on your computer and catalog all the freebies that you have collected so they
would be easy to find?" So that's exactly what I did. This way when I have an idea for an
image and need a particular file I can look through my repository first rather than spend
countless hours searching online for a file that may not even be available anymore. The
index and the accompanying item pages are catagorized into groups such as figures, props,
textures, etc. Read me files, authors, item descriptions along with e-mail addresses and
website addresses accompany the related items as well as thumbnails. Now there are alot
of web addresses and e-mails that are no longer valid but I have them handy if for nothing
else the sake of completion.

The reason I took the time to do this is because (1) I had too much time on my hands. (2) It
saves me time when I do have a particular project in mind. All I have to do is to do a
search through my own personal repository. (3) We all know how the internet works, One
minute a site is offering freebies and for whatever reason the site is down, gone forever
and so are the freebies. This way I can check and see if I have a file that is no longer
accessible online.

I have already filled up one DVD with a huge amount of files and am soon to be finishing up
a second DVD. The second DVD is filled up with utilities, tutorials and the like. Now I
could never and would never offer these disks up for sell or copy. These are my own personal
archived collections. But even though I can't share these items due to copyright and author
reasons they can still benefit others. For example someone posts in one of the forums that
they are looking for a particular file. Even though I can't e-mail the file I can e-mail the
site address and/or the authors e-mail address.

Anyways, this is just an idea I had and thought to share it with all my friends at PosetteForever.
Who knows, perhaps you'll make your own personal archive collections.  

us.png Marv Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1330
Lemons 1022
hearts 40

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Here's An Idea For Ya

#2  tda42 19 Dec 2008 16:50

Well we can take a step a bit farther. We could (with Davide's help) Start another part of the
gallery and call it Posy's Retro. With people that have things that date back 5 to 6 years
ago, put it in their art and post it there. How does that sound to everyone.  

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#3  Tormie 19 Dec 2008 17:23

There is no problem at all :), maybe the only problem of a gallery would be to fill it with contents... Anyway... If I won't fall again in catatonic state in this weekend ( ) I'll probably take the time for the upgrade and I would also organize the Album and the forum. Things are a bit messy, now that a lot of time passed I should understand what people like on PF and what is useless .

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#4  Marv 19 Dec 2008 22:16

How about when an image is created you can leave a site link in the description to where you got the items, if they are still available?

us.png Marv Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1330
Lemons 1022
hearts 40

#5  tda42 20 Dec 2008 00:42

You can do that but I would think a lot of items are not around anymore. Which is why it would make this gallery special.But
yes you could have a link post for the items if the artist wants to go out of the way to show location of the items. Me myself
I am a bit lazy with that and seeing how the person didn't build the art in general I like to leave it as just art. But it
is a good idea to for others.

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts An idea for have some fun ! Tormie Shebeen, the Staff forum 2 08 Dec 2005 03:07 View latest post
ahjah
No new posts Page Idea h3x0r89 Finished projects 2 23 May 2015 15:27 View latest post
GrouchoCaesar
No new posts An idea for Nea - need input. Guest Shebeen, the Staff forum 14 22 Dec 2005 20:30 View latest post
PitKlad
No new posts A weekly series idea Guest Shebeen, the Staff forum 7 25 Nov 2005 18:53 View latest post
ahjah

Page 1 of 1