Noobie Here

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post Re: Noobie Here

#16  Tormie 27 Jan 2011 07:33

Hi Chromium

The last Poser versions improved in the render engine, for example in indirect light, and some more in animations (feature that I don't use at the moment) but in order to render with all the jingles enabled you need a very powerful machine or you've to leave the PC in rendering for a couple of days... Till the program crashes for some memory problems... I suggest to use "render in background" or "render in queue" for the latest version, I should be wrong but they use an external process that is more stable (it never crashed here...)

I think that in the first 5 versions of the program there were substantial changes, then they derailed. For example, they didn't keep the shape of the human figures but they took the Daz fashion of changing them every time when they have a different market target: DAZ needs to change shapes and textures in order not to have a retrocompatibility with the dresses (you've to buy everything again with a new model) but I don't see why Poser should do the same.

But maybe there is a hidden agreement between Daz and Smithmicro, the last Poser models are so ugly that I can't save myself to think of it...

We keep Posettes and Dorks in good shape btw      

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

• Back to top Page bottom

#17  Chromium 28 Jan 2011 16:22

tda42:
Though I have read it before, if it did not get pointed out to me to save a scene as a jpeg, and then use the jpeg for a background, I would not have done it, thanks very much. I must try not to forget the good advice I get for free.

With my finances, I think it would be a while before I run any Duo Core technology, and am glad for the old items I get for cheap (hardware, and software), which then let me dabble in things I may not otherwise.

Tormie:
Once I start doing renders (when I get something done worthy of rendering), I shall be asking for more tips for sure.

I have not seen the latest Smithmicro figures, I only know of their G2 (old now) figures. Sorry, I have seen Miki 3, with her 60K+ polygon count, she looks like a pretty normal girl, still not a dent on super model Victoria, for looks, or stature.

When I check out the album, I find plenty of inspiration, for using Posy, and Dork. I see they are kept alive, at PF.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#18  Chromium 08 Mar 2011 23:55

tda42: Tuesday 08/03/11 at 22:12 "Hi Chromium! How is everything going with you?"

All is going well.

I find it all quite fun with my humble equipment.

I have still yet to upgrade my little HP NX9010 laptop to 1GB RAM (708MB at the moment). I have put in the 160GB HD, and have a few partitions to confine all the items, and keep as much away from the C: drive (which slows the OS down).

I have installed my Poser 6 (take 3), and have set things up nicely so it runs marginally better than Poser 7, (running without the same tweaks, on slightly better hardware- Celeron vs P4M). The headache of driver tweaks (Radeon 345M) and 3GBswitch was worth it, and I am still learning to back up everything I did for reference (install this, then that... I forget too easily). I have yet to install Carrara 5, but that can wait, I am still learning to walk, in Poser 6.

I install, then decide I want to do something different then re install completely. I think I may again. I forgot somebody (tda42) gave me good advice about an external runtime, and also there is the runtime in the "Downloads", I can use that too (my plan). I think everything is coming together, maybe in a years time I may have settled enough, and have a comfortable arrangement, and do something.

I have been reading lots here, and on the web too. Also cut and pasting things for my reference.

I have done lots of test poses and renders. I still have not done one with Posy, as I want to practice a little more as I want my first render of her for here (so I shall want it to be worthy of posting). Still getting to grips with posing (the free Daz Studio was great for it), but I am getting there (okay, but not good - that will take more practice).

I have also purchased (is that a rude word around here?) a few items (3GB). However my freebie count must be around 6GB (and growing).

I am deliberately trying not to use the Daz generation 4 characters, as they slow things down a bit (that was a reason for one of the re installations). I thought I should stick with the standard figures, but keep getting distracted (I can't help it).

Life keeps distracting me from Poser, but I keep coming back. PF, is a great source of inspiration, an I'm glad your all here.

Last edited by Chromium on 09 Mar 2011 20:35; edited 1 time in total 
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#19  Chromium 15 May 2011 19:26

<Bump>

Just an update.

Finally after many many months (of failure) I have managed to download the legacy content from Smithmicro.

I now have:
P4 Ethnic Faces, (brilliant).
P5 Legacy Content, (brilliant).
P6 Legacy Content, (I have P6 installed - so nothing new).
P7 Legacy Content, (Edited the "Runtime" content, and my P6 has a few P7 bonuses like G2 Sydney, Ben & Kate).

I did not get G2 Simon. I suppose I can't grumble with what I have.

I was wearing a really stupid grin, when the serials were accepted, and the downloads appeared.

Still got plenty left to do and learn.

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#20  Tormie 16 May 2011 01:34

I don't remember where G2 Simon comes from, I mean Poser 8 or 7 ... Fact is that he is a Dork but I think that Smithmicro or Curious Labs or whoever was before them made a bad mistake changing the basic shape of the human figures beginning from version 5. I suppose they did it following Daz policy while we needed an improved Posette   and Dork ... More Polygons, improvements on the joints and we would have been happier...

There is not much for the stock figures of Poser after Poser 4, I'm sorry...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#21  Chromium 16 May 2011 20:48

Your right about the way the creators turned their backs on Posy & Dork, they should have kept them going with better realism. Why change what isn't broke, (could Posy not have been given the same treatment as Miki?)

As for the newer characters they could have been as a bonus with each new Poser release.

I am grateful for the fan made Posy mods and clones. It is nice to see when the manufacturer puts an end to a products life, that the user community can keep it alive well beyond the lifespan that it was given (thank you PF).

It would be nice if Smithmicro could celebrate and release a 10th anniversary updated Posy. Look at the Vw Beetle, Mini, or Fiat 500, all classics like Posy.

(Unimportant note: G2 Simon was Poser 7).

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#22  Tormie 16 May 2011 22:24

You're right, there are people (and Posetteforever is a part of it ) that keep the characters alive, but it's not the same thing of a big company that can spend pile of money and hire professionals. Sometimes the work of an amateur is better than something that is produced by a factory and its team, but there are only very rare cases (We've something here btw )

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

HideWas this topic useful?