Hello, My Name Is Kludge And I'm A *gasp* Gnubee

Page 1 of 1

Post Hello, My Name Is Kludge And I'm A *gasp* Gnubee

#1  Kludge 14 Dec 2010 03:32

Yes, it's true.  I'm gnu.  And the avatar really is me.  I couldn't think of anything scarier.

A little back story:  I'm your basic escapee from the Home for the Terminally Weird, constantly hiding from the guys in the white jackets and the voices - *Those farglesnapping voices!* - while awaiting the mothership's return.  There are, of course, worse things to be but I don't think I'm one of them.  But maybe I am.  I don't know.

Okay, that's out of the way.  Now for the good stuff.  My experience level in 3D is "none at all" so I'm starting out from ground zero.  Where I do have a little experience is video production and live theater and I'm reasonably sure some things will carry over.  The reason I'm getting into it now is because of my daughter.

[Name not given in compliance with board policy] is terminally ill.  She's 33 and may make 40 if we're lucky.  Unfortunately, she's on the mainland and I'm here in Hawaii, and there's no way we can be together for a while.  It just can't happen.  As a result, I'm converting my retirement closet ... er, room into a micro-studio for video production along with making MP3s for her.  Since I can't talk for 2 hours straight (the length of each treatment in a new regimen we hope will extend her life), the idea crossed my feeble little mind that 3D animations to help make her smile while I'm taking a break would be a good thing.  I know the learning curve will be a bit steeper than most I've managed but my little girl is worth it to me.  Even if I don't manage to make any worth using, it will still be interesting learning something new.

And that's my story & I'm sticking with it ... unless I get a better offer.

Best regards,

Kludge

us.png Kludge Gender: Male
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 60
Lemons 12
hearts 5

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Hello, My Name Is Kludge And I'm A *gasp* Gnubee

#2  Tormie 14 Dec 2010 17:38

Hello Kludge and Welcome to Posetteforever

I read your story and I can say for sure that we will help you with all we can do for helping your daughter feel better.
I'm Tormie (Davide) and I keep the keys of the house, but it looks like everyone here has free access (especially to the fridge ). My English sure it's strange , this is because I'm Italian, but here at PF there are a lot of Americans and New Zealanders etc. etc. so you will have no problems with communications.

Friends here made some good videos and animations, look at the Videos and Animations forum and watch what they did , they can tell you what you need. We are good friends that in some way care of each other and if you want we have a video chat session every saturday at 10 a.m. Honolulu time (that is 9 p.m. here), you're welcome if you want to come (you find the links to the videochatroom in the "Main Links" list on the left of the main page)

Most of us like to be lazy and contemplative here at PF       so you could wait long for a result

For the rest, again a big welcome to Posetteforever Kludge

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#3  Kludge 14 Dec 2010 20:08

Hi, Tormie, and thanks.  

Since I don't know what all is possible, I also don't know what is impossible which is probably a Good Thing.    There are many, many ideas percolating around the back of my head, some of which are rather ambitious like mixing live action and 3D animation.  There's a lot of crawling and toddling et al to be done before I get there but I have a single goal in mind which should make life a lot easier.  In the meantime, there are many much lots of local pictures to be taken and hours of video to be shot around the island for inclusion in later work.  

Questions are forthcoming and they're a bit advanced for where I am now but they'll help with later planning.  

Once I have my new computer set up, I'll check out the video chat.  In the meantime, I'll take a look at the work you suggested to see what has been done and swipe ideas ... er, learn what I can from them.  

Let me contribute some homemade wasabi mayo and homemade mustard to the fridge ... maybe a few other things later on ...

Best regards,

Kludge

us.png Kludge Gender: Male
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 60
Lemons 12
hearts 5

#4  Tormie 14 Dec 2010 21:23

Thank you Kludge If you want you can add some pictures of the Hawaii in the Album , I never been there (and I don't even know if I'll ) it should be a very nice place to live ... And say hello to Magnum P.I. when you meet him ...

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#5  leahman 15 Dec 2010 19:11

Welcome to PosetteForever ! Image

You'll find a number of father's -with daughter's -here...
Mine -is still -in College (leahman -turning empty pockets— inside out)
but will graduate— in April...  
I agree with Tormie...
The way you will  get `the most Help— towards projects...
is to come to the Video Chat secessions, on Saturdays.
Probally... Kenny can get you  -making annimations with effects
quicker than anybody. (he too has daughters)
You can watch some of his LIVE ACTION mixed with computer annimation— in the JUKEBOX
area.  Have you learned to use Poser ?

Hey— I'm really glad you joined us... Maybe now, the guys will stop ripping on me...
for being -the Oldest...
I think -you've found the right place—    Image
to make some friends
 and learn how to do what you want to do...
Welcome to PosetteForever !  

blank.gif leahman Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User

Tomatoes 22317
Lemons 663
hearts 3697

#6  Chromium 27 Dec 2010 22:49

Hi Kludge,

Nice to meet a fellow "gnubee". I too am learning.

Wishing you every success with you new 3D work, and could not wish your daughters treatment to work enough, for every extra day gained.

Best regards.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#7  tda42 28 Dec 2010 00:42

Chromium  I also want to say welcome and hope to see both of you out here as well. We do this for fun and have a lot of talent out here to help if you need it. If we don't know it then we will try to point you into a right direction. PF has always had a close relation to friends because the site is small but we have been here when big sites have fallen sad to say. Or thought is simple. We sell nothing and owe very much on maintenance.   Some have come and gone but as always we leave the light on and welcome everyone that knocks on the door. So welcome and enjoy the site.

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910