ObjactionMover

Page 1 of 1

Post ObjactionMover

#1  melamkish 06 Feb 2006 17:15

I'm trying my first Decode conversion and have run into a problem. Following the instructions, Mover is looking for a seed file.  It provides the name of the original as P4NudeWom.obj.  P6 geometries have an obz, not obj file extentsion.  I tried exporting P4NudeWom.obz as P4NudeWom.obj using different settings, but encounter errors.

What am I missing here?

melamkish Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  Tormie 06 Feb 2006 20:49

mmmh... obz is the compressed form of the obj format. I've a quick solution that could work:

load the p4woman then choose file/export/obj and select all her body parts. Name the file P4NudeWom.obj. It should work.

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#3  melamkish 06 Feb 2006 22:31

I've tried every combination in the export window and I am still getting Range Check Errors. This must be so simple that I am missing the obvious

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#4  Tormie 06 Feb 2006 23:13

Oh, there is a very simpler solution   ...

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#5  melamkish 07 Feb 2006 02:12

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#6  pangor 20 Mar 2006 00:41

The Poser 6 and Poser 6 compression format is the defacto standard unix gzip format.  In unix a file named foo.obj when compressed with this command:

gzip -9 foo.obj

Will be replaced with the compressed version called foo.obj.gz  for compatibility with the dos "8.3" file name format foo.obj become foo.obz

You may already have a Dos/Windows command line program to uncompress it.  Search you harddrive for gzip.exe.  Also many other compression software knows how to deal with gzip files.  If you have one installed, you can uncompress your  compressed Poser files with it, but telling the software that the file is a gzip file.

If you have access to Linux or any unix you most likely already have gzip installed.

Or you can go to The gzip home page

Note, before I upgraded to Poser 5, I heard many questions and incorrect statements about Poser file compression.  I had reason to believe that the compression format was gzip, but I was mislead by someone who claimed they had tested that and found it to be not true, misleading many others at the same time.

I often use the unix program midnight commander as a file browser, on the day I first installed Poser 5, I looked through the new runtime with midnight commander and had forgotten about the compressed files.  Midnight Commander detected the files as being gziped and uncompressed them on the fly for viewing.  About an hour latter, I remembered about the compression, and confirmed that they are gziped.

Unix has a program called "file" that examines file contents and reports the file types.

Using file to examine the gzip tape archive of firefox reports:
firefox-1.5.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression

Using file to examine the Poser 5 version of Poser 4 Posette's character file:
P4 Nude Woman.crz: gzip compressed data, was "C:Documents and Settingssrath", max compression

Note that the gzip format can contain various optional file metadata.  for firefox it contains the fact that it was compressed on a unix box.  FOr Posette's file it reports that the original uncompressed filename was srath and it was stored in "C:Documents and Settings" on the computer where it was compressed.

pangor 

#7  melamkish 20 Mar 2006 01:43

I thought it might be a file compression issue.  Poser 6 will allow changing the default "compressed file save" to allow saving as an uncompressed file.  Came up with a temporary solution and moved playing around with file structures to the back burner for a while.  

I plan to experiment with some of this at a later time unless there is a more immediate need.

Never had an opportunity to use Unix, so never took the time to learn.  Still good info to know because someday I'd like to change platforms.  

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#8  pangor 20 Mar 2006 09:42

Poser starting with Poser 5 uses quite a bit of software developed on unix and then ported to Windows and MAC.  The scripting language, Poser Python, for example is a standard interpreted programming popular on unix called Python they embeded the interpreter into the program and provided hooks and additional functions to access Poser's internal data structures.  A normal installation of Python on unix provides access to the zlib library to read and write gzip files.  That library and the python glue to access it were also ported with the base interpreter.  Note this is all free software that they incorporated into Poser.

pangor 

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Guest 01 Jan 1970 00:00 View latest post

Page 1 of 1