Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Page 1 of 1

Post Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

#1  fosterscreations 01 Apr 2006 05:22

I have Poser5 and am just learning which things are P4 and which are P5. I found a beautiful character called Lacey but can't get the eyelashes to show up. I have posted on poserpros and they have been so kind but I feel they are getting frustrated with me.
When I load Lacey it says it can't find translash.jpg
I have emailed the lady of the site where I got lacey but haven't heard a response. She is such a pretty character and I have her all dressed with pretty red hair and I can't get her eyelashes to work. It is so frustrating to me. I am supposed to take a class but it doesn't start until May. So if you have any suggestions in the meantime that would be great.

I am also struggling with Hair. I can't seem to find hair for the P4 baby or the milenium baby that I got from daz. I tried growing hair and that was a huge flop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Shannon

usa.png fosterscreations Gender: Female
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 270
Lemons 243
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  pangor 01 Apr 2006 09:21

Baby hair I have not seen around, you could select one of the other hairs, maybe Kozaburo's all back and scale it down to abby size.

Have you searched your computer for a file called translash.jpg, it could be in a different location than the character files or pose files expect it to be.

Is Lacey a free download?  If so, where did you download her from?  Please privide a URL to the site. That way we can take a look at the file's contents and see what we can determine.

pangor 

#3  melamkish 01 Apr 2006 13:15

One of the biggest frustrations I had when I first started using Poser was telling it where to find the jpegs and transmaps.  Usually these files are in the textures folder if it was provided with the file.  Sometimes these transmaps are created later and available as a seperate download.  After you download a lot of freebies, or even "paid for" content, finding the right folder can be a nightmare!:doh:

To see if you have the required file, try this: Locate the original zip file and open it with Winzip or whatever decompression program you are using.  When the list of files in the archive open, scan the file names to see if the translash.jpg file is included.  If it is, look to the right and note the directory path that the file would be installed to.

Now look for the readme file.  From within Winzip you can doubleclick the readme file and view the file.  It should tell you the name of the texture folder and may show a directory tree of where it is located. Make a note of the folder name.

Open Poser and load Lacey.  When Poser asks for the file location, use the standard navigation methods to find the file.  My guess is that you would find it in a folder within your Poser runtime texture folder.

Example: Poser 6/runtime/textures/artist or charactername/translash.jpg

I would try Pangor's suggestion of trying to scale some of Kozaburo's hair.  It scales well for smaller characters.  

Speaking of baby stuff, I found a site with baby clothes and things while working on the next addition to the links project. I will locate it this weekend  and get it posted in the Interesting links forum.

By the way, welcome to PosetteForever! If you have more questions, just ask.

melamkish Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#4  pangor 01 Apr 2006 16:52

Oh NO!  It was late and I was sleepy so I forgot to say. This:  Hello and welcome to Posetteforever.

melamkish, if that site you found with the baby things is the one that I am thinking of   I found it in October or November of 2004 and failed to bookmark it, and never did find it again.  The items there for the Poser 4 baby are  

pangor 

#5  melamkish 02 Apr 2006 00:32

Here is the link I found.

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0679184201/site%20um%20pouco/Frebees.htm

Don't think this is the same, because mostly for Mil baby and PT, etc. but I'm still looking.  There are a couple links already in the forum.  Will pull them out and put all together.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#6  fosterscreations 02 Apr 2006 00:55

You guys are the best. Here is where I got Lacey http://www.angelfire.com/on2/lovelylady/posertexs/character.html
I have gotten the eyelashes to work somewhat by using a P4 eyelash map from another character. My only problem is that no matter what I do they don't look as good as all the pictures I see online. For instance I want my characters to have pretty eyelashes like the Dark Visions for the Millenium People(Renderosity)? If I can get the eyelashes to show up they don't look very realistic.

This program is addicting. I am having so much fun even though it has a very large learning curve.

I actually got a lady posed and sitting in a chair but her dress needs fixed as it didn't totally conform once I posed her sitting. So I need to figure out how to do that.

The baby clothes site I didn't bookmark at the time as I hadn't figured out that  my program came with P4 baby...DUHH..

OH yeah what are the names of the previous version figures??

I have figured out that the P4 woman is Possette but that is it. P5 comes with the P4 and P2 figures but I don't know their names so I may be missing some cool things for them since I don't know their names.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 270
Lemons 243
hearts 0

#7  melamkish 02 Apr 2006 01:15

OK! Turns out I had that one, but not yet installed.  The link helped me find it.  Turns out this is an older file (you will run in to this a lot if you go on a downloading binge like I have).  These older files were provided without directories.

You can handle this several ways.  Poser 6 always starts its search for missing textures in its own texture folder.  I created a new folder in textures called Misc Textures and moved all the orphan textures to that folder.  I just point Poser there and choose the proper texture.  Sometimes I have to refer to the readme file to remember the correct file.  Since many older (and some newer files) have generic "readme" names and overwrite each other, I rename each as I go and store them all in a Master Readme folder.  If one is missing, I search for the zip and read it that way.

Lacey does not have a tranlash.jpg file with it.  So, to use one, you have to have one, either from another character, or have found a freebie someplace else.

I have seen some and think I can find it again.  Haven't checked the PF free stuff, but there might be one there.

You might also find that some of the pictures have had postwork done to improve the final image.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#8  pangor 02 Apr 2006 08:38

Also for teh eyelashes, it depend much on the quality of the transparancy map, the very file you were having trouble with.  It also depends on the settings in the material room for the eyelash material.  Transparancy max should be set at 1.0 transparancy edge at 1.0 and the fade off setting should be set at 0.  Many testures that you may with downloaded or purchased characters will have that last setting at .6  this is bad for eyelashes because it will cause the empty space between each lash to render as a shiny transparent, or a black fin.

The names of the Poser people is as follows:

Poser 1:
The Poser 1 man and the Poser 1 woman.

Poser 2:
Nude Woman, Nude child, Nude Man, Business Man, Casual man, Business Woman, Casual Woman.

Up to this point the models had no other name.
Starting with the time of Poser 3, the models still did not have regular names but the users of the software gave them nick names any.

Poser 3:
Poser 3 Nude Woman nicknamed Posette and P3 Posette early on Posy and Posey
Poser 3 Nude Man nicknamed Dork and P3 Dork.

Poser 4:
Poser 4 Nude Woman nicknamed Posette and P4 Posette
Poser 4 Nude Man nicknamed Dork and P3 Dork.
Poser 4 boy
Poser 4 girl
Poser 4 Infant

Starting with Poser 5 the models had official names:
Poser 5 Woman is Judy
Poser 5 Man is Don
Poser 5 girl  is Penny
Poser 5 boy is Will

There are both Hi and low resolution version of many of these.  There are also other almost never used models .  Each version of Poser includes the models of all the version before it.
Poser 5:
Poser 5 Nude woman

pangor 

#9  Posy 02 Apr 2006 08:38

The settings in the material room for the eyelash material is always an important factor.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#10  fosterscreations 02 Apr 2006 11:09

I have found that when working with some of the maps and characters that when I set them at 1.0 for transparency and edge the eyelashes don't show up at all still. For Penny I have to set them at like .7
For Lacey I set the transparency at 1.0 , edge 0 and falloff 0. She has two separate entries under materials lashes and eyelash. I don't set anything under eyelash. When I am in the posing room and I am setting the parameters for the head she only has one dial for lashes while some other characters like mil baby have a dial for lashes long, lash up full, lash lo full, lash up straight, lash lo straight.
While Penny doesn't have a dial for any lash under head parameters in the posing room and when using the transmap that comes with her the eyelashes are very sparce and jagged not smooth.
It is all confusing when they are all different.

I will let you know if I come across the baby clothes textures site that I found  a few weeks ago. It was so cute.

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 270
Lemons 243
hearts 0

#11  ahjah 02 Apr 2006 12:36

Hi fosterscreations, and welcome to Posetteforever.
There is another solution about lashes, too.
Yamato, a Poser enthusiast from Japan made lashes props.
http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~masasi/Service/indexE.html
Half down this page you´ll find "Cancan" and "Ranran".
The lashes are part of this packages and they look better than most lashes made by transparency map, IMHO.
The characters are worth downloading, anyway   

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#12  fosterscreations 02 Apr 2006 12:46

cool thanks I am going there now....

Here is one of the baby things sites. She  has two pages of stuff.(same lady that I got Lacey from)

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/lovelylady/posertexs/baby1.html

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 270
Lemons 243
hearts 0

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic