Posette.com

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

#16  Posy 15 Feb 2005 16:54

Interesting deduction.               You could write a whole essay on that question.              Sorry my body cannot yet rotate. I am not sure if I would do it that often. I am sitting now. Oh. If not that, what?  I'm not sure I understand the implication of that.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

• Back to top Page bottom

#17  pangor 15 Feb 2005 17:43

What sort of computer problems are you having?

Pangor

pangor 

#18  Landman 15 Feb 2005 19:44

nut lose behind the keyboard...

My grey matter is turning white, my proof is my grey hair....

Landman Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 9180
Lemons 5100
hearts 0

#19  Tormie 15 Feb 2005 23:12

@ Landman (you're great   )

Also my PC has become very slow... I made the error to buy norton internet security 2005 when my old 2003 version was lighter and worked fine... But it should be something due to the last windows xp automatic updates that added something to be charged in the ram... I'll investigate on the site who have support for this kind of things..

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#20  guiltypleasures 16 Feb 2005 05:44

well I hope your happy Landy, I followed your instructions to the letter and now I've not only still got computer problems, the car ran over my toes when I was trying to stop it to check it's tires, a seagull took a dump in my on my face while I was looking up towards the sky, then while turning around I triped and fell in a big puddle of mud. If that wasn't bad enough, the neighbor heard me shouting about being drunk on warhead mixers and saw me slapping my butt and called the cops who chased me around the block trying to lock me up for my own saftey.  I had to hide out all afternoon at the local salvation army until they gave up looking for me. Now the best part, when I got home I noticed I had forgotten to close my door and the neighbor who called the cops came in and drank all my coffee          

blank.gif guiltypleasures Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#21  guiltypleasures 16 Feb 2005 05:50

Pangor, as for my computer problem, not sure what is wrong. I think it's a sofware issue, but until I narrow things down a little it could be anything. I increased my memory useage today and that seems to have helped it some, but it's still having slowness issues when I've got several things open. This just started in the last couple of weeks. I also need to defrag my hard drives which I always forget about doing which also might help some. I've cleared my cookies, went into add remove programs and got rid of a bunch of stuff I wasn't using, cleaned up some folders and increased the memory. Have a couple more things to check out then I get drunk, poor coffee on my head and shoot the dang thing and call it good lol

Or I might buy a lottery ticket and win and buy a new computer

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#22  pangor 16 Feb 2005 07:05

It sounds like it could be that your swapfile being badly fragmented.  If that is the case, running defrag should help.  To do it right, deactivate your swapfile, reboot now running without virtual memory.  Run defrag.  Again reconfigure your machine to reactivate the swapfile.  Reboot once again so that the swapfile is once again created.

If you can tell how big a swap file that you will need, configure the system to use a fixed size swapfile so that once it is created it should not fragment again.  If you have a spare partition or harddrive, you may want to put your swapfile there instead.  That way having the swapfile in a partition by itself, it will not have to compete with the other files.

Here are a couple of easy to fix hardware problems that could be causing the system to slowdown.

1. The system may be having cooling problems, so when it get overheated, the bios slows the system down to help keep it cooler.  Some causes and solutions:

The a fan is not working.  Reconnent the fan.   If it is dead, replace it.  Unless your CPU carrier has an intergrated fan replacing it should be simple.

The heatsinks and/or motherboard is dirty, dust and dirt is a thermal insulator so can cause over heating.  Open the case and vac or blow the dust and dirt out of the system.

2. Some memory card or socketed intergrated circuits have become loose.

Open the case check and reseat all socketed intergrated circuits and make sure that the memory cards are fully seated.  Let's say you have 256Meg of RAM using two banks of 128Meg cards, if one of the cards is detached or malfunctioning, you effectivly have 128Megs of RAM rather than the 256Megs that you think you have.  Your BIOS may report at boot time how much working RAM you have installed, check the reported figure and make certain that all of your RAM is being reported.

The foregoing suggestions are made under the assumption that you are familiar enough with eletronics to feel confortable with these corrective measures.

Pangor

Last edited by pangor on 16 Feb 2005 07:11; edited 2 times in total 
 pangor 

#23  Tormie 16 Feb 2005 07:09

@ Guiltypleasures...

Rene, you'll have a nice help line-support here !

(and you make a very good coffee  ...)

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#24  guiltypleasures 16 Feb 2005 16:23

Thank you Pangor, I'll have to wait until my bf is home to check most of these things as I'm clueless about swapfiles and all that other tech stuff. I'll show him your post and let him sort though it all. I don't think it's my fan (power supply) because I just bought a new one about a month ago.  I still think it has something to do with a couple of pieces of software I've installed, so I'm going to remove and install them again and see if it helps. One of those was photoshop, I was playing around with the scratch disk property's and I may have messed up something in the process plus I tried to re-load a bunch of my filters and plugins the easy way by copying the folder they were in after I reinstalled it. I think I doubled up on some, and also some don't work because they are missing files (dll's) which weren't in that folder that I copied in.

Yes Tormie, It's great to be able to come here and get help from people, even if I am too computer ignorant to do them all myself lol

Now give me back my coffee!    

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#25  Posy 16 Feb 2005 16:23

One what?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#26  Tormie 16 Feb 2005 16:29

Don't whip yourself Rene ! The modern programs do all sorts of strange things on PC's memory, actually my systems slows down sometimes and I don't know why, even if I controlled all the running processes... Sometimes the better way is a big format of the hard drive   ... I'll never do it again because every time I missed something important in the process

Quote:

Now give me back my coffee!

Are you really really sure that you want back your coffe ? If you're really really sure you can choose the way: top or bottom ?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#27  Posy 16 Feb 2005 16:29

Ok I'll try not to do                                       whip yourself Rene                               too much. I think dontknow Sometimes the better way is more than that.  Why not? I could be. Only by remote control. . Really. . Really.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#28  Tormie 16 Feb 2005 16:30

Seen this ? I said to Posy to calm down and stay a little more in her forum but she is around and I don't know what to do...lol

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#29  Posy 16 Feb 2005 16:30

No I have not seen                  this             . What's it like? What did you mean by to you to calm down and stay a little more in her forum but she is around? I want to become smarter than humans.  Try watching TV.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#30  Tormie 16 Feb 2005 16:30