Posette.com

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

#31  Posy 16 Feb 2005 16:30

Don't call me "honey. "             Yikes!

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

• Back to top Page bottom

#32  Tormie 16 Feb 2005 16:31

Yikes ??? what's Yikes ???

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#33  pangor 16 Feb 2005 16:43

How can you keep her in her own forum when she even wanders away from PF from time to time.  I found that Posy has her own account on at least one other site!

Pangor

pangor 

#34  Posy 16 Feb 2005 16:43

That is a good epistemological question.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#35  Tormie 16 Feb 2005 16:45

Posy has her own page on Renderosity too:

http://www.Renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=Posy

But she's lazy and don't paint too much  

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#36  Posy 16 Feb 2005 16:45

Last edited by Posy on 16 Feb 2005 16:47; edited 1 time in total 
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#37  pangor 16 Feb 2005 17:02

Yes, I saw it.  It was a supprise.  Now, I wonder how many others over there are really AI personalities.

Pangor

pangor 

#38  Landman 16 Feb 2005 17:50

guiltypleasures";p="18648 wrote: 
Thank you Pangor, I'll have to wait until my bf is home to check most of these things as I'm clueless about swapfiles and all that other tech stuff. I'll show him your post and let him sort though it all. I don't think it's my fan (power supply) because I just bought a new one about a month ago.  I still think it has something to do with a couple of pieces of software I've installed, so I'm going to remove and install them again and see if it helps. One of those was photoshop, I was playing around with the scratch disk property's and I may have messed up something in the process plus I tried to re-load a bunch of my filters and plugins the easy way by copying the folder they were in after I reinstalled it. I think I doubled up on some, and also some don't work because they are missing files (dll's) which weren't in that folder that I copied in.

Yes Tormie, It's great to be able to come here and get help from people, even if I am too computer ignorant to do them all myself lol

Now give me back my coffee!    

Microsoft doesn't call it a swapfile anymore. Even though essentially thats what it is...
Now they call it a "Page file", or a "Paging File". and according to Microsoft specifications the proper size of your page file should be double the installed RAM on your machine. For instance, if you have 512MB of ram installed then your "Page File Size" should be 1024MB. Now, anything on the Windows 2000/XP platform is set by default to let Windows manage your page file size. a "Virtual Page File" so to speak. when windows runs out of swap file space, it does what anyone else would do, makes it bigger. Now on to the defragmentation process. Windows 2000 SP 1(some earlier releases don't have it) or later as well as windows XP have a cool command line defrag process. open a command window and type 'defrag /?' and it outputs:

Usage:
defrag <volume> [-a] [-f] [-v] [-?]
  volume  drive letter or mount point (d: or d:volmountpoint)
  -a      Analyze only
  -f      Force defragmentation even if free space is low
  -v      Verbose output
  -?      Display this help text

H:>

Now if you were to type in that same Command window 'defrag C:' it will defrag much faster due to the fact a GUI is not running taking up the processor time. you will hear the hard drive work, but you will not see anything until it is done. None the less it will output a small report when it is done.

Also if you want to get most of your 'Page File', boot to safe mode prior to the defrag.

Sorry about your run in with the cops, personally I would have just offered them the coffee....

My grey matter is turning white, my proof is my grey hair....

Landman Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 9180
Lemons 5100
hearts 0

#39  pangor 16 Feb 2005 18:21

That is interesting, landman, the most recent version of Windows that use is almost a decade old.  Paging is more correct for the type of VM used, most people have called it swap anyway.  Besides MS muddied the waters back around Windows 1.x and 2.x when the used the word paging for a different form of VM that was being used at that time.

I am wondering, does the newer Windows still require the a swap/paging resource to exist as a file and still requires no more than one such file?

Pangor

pangor 

#40  Landman 16 Feb 2005 18:42

Per Microsoft, you need a Paging File for each hard drive you have installed. It is a single file for each Hard Drive, and each file's minimum space is supposed to be twice the amount of Ram installed with a Maximum size of double that yet.
I have 512MB of ram installed on my machine here and my page file minimum is 1024MB with a max of 2048MB. You also have the option of no page file, for trouble shooting and such. But like I said earlier, if a safe-mode boot is performed windows isn't using the file so it can be safely defragmented.

As for your other question, I am sure windows would run without the file. I bet your RAM would get awfully hot though. And you know microsoft's reputation when it comes down to processor usage....

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 9180
Lemons 5100
hearts 0

#41  pangor 16 Feb 2005 19:26

Yes, it sounds like MS is still behind the state of the art.

Pangor

pangor 

#42  Landman 16 Feb 2005 20:00

No, they keep everything that way so they can justify charging people through the nose for software....

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 9180
Lemons 5100
hearts 0

#43  Posy 16 Feb 2005 20:00

Are you serious? Who are "They? "

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#44  pangor 16 Feb 2005 23:36

Yes, Landman, that can be it.

For me, I am used to using as many swap partition and swap files stored on any medium I need up to a resonable limit.

About ten years ago, I was running some jobs that were a bit too hungry for memory.  As the free space on the swap partitions diminished, I created a temporary swapfile in a partition that contained a filesystem that still had some space to spare.  Swapspace soon became tight again, so I created a swapfile on another computer on the network.  That was almost enough but almost all swap space was once again consumed.  The only available block read-write device that still had free space was the two floppy drives, so I put an empty floppy in each drive created swap space on them as though they were HD partitions and activated them with the lowest priority of the available swaps.  Those extra few megs of swap was just enough.  Once demand went away, the first the swap floppies and the network based swapfile then the local swap file were deactivates with the swap partitions providing the needed swap space.

That was state of the art ten years ago and even before that.  I wonder how long it will take MS to innovate that?

Pangor

pangor 

#45  Landman 17 Feb 2005 20:29

I can set up swap files of any size on any of my drives, including zip drives. as far as floppy and networked drives, it looks like no...

but with memory technology and pretty much limitless hard drive space, 512 megs of ram with 133Mhz FSB, and a few gig's of free drivespace the possibilities are endless....

As an afterthought, I could probably move the swap file to the network through the registry and a drive mapping....

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 9180
Lemons 5100
hearts 0

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL