Online 3DS, OBJ, STL Viewer.

Page 1 of 1

Post Online 3DS, OBJ, STL Viewer.

#1  Nik 09 Apr 2017 00:35

http://3dviewer.net/

Digging through archived freebies, it can be very, very hard to identify what is in an obscurely named zip. Matching a zip to an anonymous thumbnail is even worse...

I don't mind unzipping files to a temporary directory. Then, problems begin...

Bad enough when there's a tiny, tiny thumbnail PNG with scant detail. Really old files lack even those, but there's a free 'RSR to PNG' utility on eg SCG that will search a directory tree...

What can you do when there's only an OBJ or 3DS mesh, perhaps with a MTL file ?

Though Wings is very powerful, it seems to lack a 'fit to screen' tool. Also, you cannot 'drag & drop' OBJ to the program, you must import such. This is very tedious...

I had a quickie 'OBJ viewer' utility from my P4 days; it won't work in Win 8+.

Google found a free on-line tool, URL above. Drag and drop your OBJ file onto their web-page like a Google image search, and up pops the mesh. You can rotate it, too...

Job done !!

ps: If you're desperate, you can do a screen capture with {shift} PrtSc, paste into eg IrfanView, crop and save. I still haven't figured how to make the Wings' equivalent work...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Online 3DS, OBJ, STL Viewer.

#2  ahjah 09 Apr 2017 21:43

Thanks a lot, looks interesting

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

Post Re: Online 3DS, OBJ, STL Viewer.

#3  Nik 10 Apr 2017 02:52

Make that really, Really, REALLY useful.

Have now spent umpteen hours trying to untangle a vast downloads directory that some-how collected ~3500 files, a ghastly mix of ZIP, '7', RAR, JPGs & PNGs...

I think I downloaded most of these while VERY ill with 'flu this Spring...

Now the thing about SCG & R**y freebies is that their ZIP files have a name of sorts, but the piccies have numbers.

So, how do you match them ??

After some thought, and having twin screens, I put that directory sorted by type on one screen, sorted by date on the other.

At least this put many downloads from the each session adjacent...

Then it became a question of creating new sub-directories for each freebie, prefixed alien, bad (*), boat, bomb, bottle, box, coffin, drum, FX, gun, jar, set (**), tech, truck, vase, zoo etc etc...

Grab some 'low hanging fruit' and multi-packs first, then just grind through, hour after hour...

I've just managed to get the directory's file-count down below 2000, and the filing system is running *much* faster...

Upside, I've collected a lot of duplicates; either I was dozy, or I got the same freebie from both SCG & R**y. I just shove those in with their 'twin'.

Many others, I had to put in a sub-directory, unzip and inspect their OBJs. Workflow was significantly helped by the online viewer. Sadly, it is not quite clever enough to unpack & view an OBJ dragged from a zipped file...

==
*) Bad: uptie stuff, a heroine's occupational hazard.
**) Set: film-set as-is, or sundry props to populate it...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic