VRM Models

Page 1 of 1

Post VRM Models

#1  Nik 11 Apr 2021 14:49

Hi !

A free model I down-loaded at DA looked like MMD/Anime, but was VRM.

I've never ventured into Second Life or used chat avatars, so I began researching the format.

To my surprise, I learned that VRM files are open format, free to use and have a free figure creator / editor at https://vroid.pixiv.help/hc/en-us

Vroid promise 'other' export formats but, as yet, only support VRM and 3D print.

However, VRM is a GLB file in disguise. Just change the file-type. As GLB, may be opened by eg Windows_10 free '3D Builder', Windows_10 free 'Paint 3D' or free Noesis, exported in sundry formats.

Which is where the fun begins, of course, of course...

OBJ is almost too easy, '3D Builder' even lets you dissect models, save parts as 3MF for later or export as OBJ+MTL+PNGs. Latter may suit 'dynamic' clothing, something I've yet to try.

If you want to keep the 'rigging', the FBX route via Noesis has usual issues: Either Poser_11 splats it, or breaks it to 10~~20 sub-rigs that refuse to play nice. And, yes, must be tediously deleted via 'Hierarchy'...

Scaling is an issue. I found ~16000 (16k) % seems to work for Poser_11, YMMV.

Poser also had problems with the FBX textures. I'm not sure what's going wrong...

Oh, and after I'd imported and deleted several VRM-derived FBX models, Poser suddenly crashed, shut down...

Still, a fun afternoon.

Last edited by Nik on 11 Apr 2021 14:51; edited 1 time in total 
uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: VRM Models

#2  rico 11 Apr 2021 16:22

Thank you very much Nik, I'll check it out! I'm not familiar with the format, but if I can get it to an .OBJ, then great!

You mention that Poser 11 doesn't handle .FBX well enough,... IYHO, which Poser version handle .FBX best ?

rico Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Elbow
Elbow

Tomatoes 1130
Lemons 132
hearts 147

Post FBX Import ??

#3  Nik 11 Apr 2021 19:17

There seem three 'flavours' of FBX, 'classic' = okay, 'multiple sub-rigs' = exasperating and 'splat' = TOS Transporter Accident...

I thought was simply the version, FBX is now up to ~7.5 and the older the better, but I have recently met several late-version models which work perfectly. Yes, perfectly...

The only thing these well-behaved, single rig, fully-posable models seem to have in common was 'Rigged in Maya'. Which, some-how, does 'stuff' Blender, 3DOC, Noesis etc etc cannot.

Given Maya's famously eye-watering cost, I suspect Maya has licensed the authentic Autodesk FBX SDK module, while the others are reverse-engineered...

If artist's notes mention 'Rigged in Maya', the rig will probably behave well 'out of the tin'...

If 'Rigged in Blender', you could be lucky. I've met one (1) model thus, with full IK etc etc...

When I complained about FBX I/O across Rendo's forums, the Poser team 'sorta hinted' that it was being looked at.

IIRC, release news for 12.0 warned that some of the oft-belated fixes were reluctantly pushed back to 12.1, to coincide with the Apple release. Which has now appeared.

The forums do not mention any wondrous upgrade to FBX so, clearly, such did not get into 12.1.

May or may not appear in 12.2, anticipated for mid-Autumn, but that's when I'll have to upgrade my 11.3 to qualify for discount. Have begun saving my Rendo reward points to cushion the hit...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#4  rico 11 Apr 2021 19:52

Ah, thank you kindly! I'll note that about FBX !

Yes, Maya is likely to have the original FBX SDK...

Have you played with Unity & its file import/export facility?

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/3D-formats.html

rico Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Elbow
Elbow

Tomatoes 1130
Lemons 132
hearts 147

#5  Chromium 12 Apr 2021 17:25

Ah yes second life fun, can be had with a third party viewer, which exports content.

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts P4 models Tormie Interesting links 6 15 Mar 2011 01:31 View latest post
JanReinar
No new posts More free models for Ye' RedHawk Interesting links 17 08 Mar 2004 11:59 View latest post
Maelstromme
No new posts Free Models tda42 The Posetteforever diary 8 19 Jun 2010 11:58 View latest post
JanReinar
No new posts Low polle models Wheelchair The Toys Box 7 16 Feb 2005 21:28 View latest post
TdaC
No new posts Free Models For All Your Needs leahman Interesting links 5 28 Nov 2007 17:45 View latest post
tda42

Page 1 of 1