browsers?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post browsers?

#1  TdaC 15 Jan 2005 15:57

What browser do you guys use and why? I've been reading about all the security problems etc with explorer so i thought i would try something else.

First i had netscape and explorer. Then i stopped using netscape because it was slower and sometimes crached. Then i only used explorer.

A while back, half a year or so ago i read about problems with explorer and read that firefox was great in different forums. I downloaded firefox. On my computer it was really really slow, so slow that after a day i removed it because i couldn't stand it and went back to explorer that - on my computer - is a lot lot faster. And also with firfox i can't use emoticons were i want to grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, i can only us it and the end of a post, not anywhere i want - like i can with explorer.

Now i've read about security problems with explorer again wich makes me wonder about what browser to use.  At the moment i'm trying out firefox again - it is still very very extremly annoyingly slow on my computer, so i doubt that i will continue to use it .
What other browesers are there out there that are safe, good and fast?

I have broadband btw and my computer is from 2000.

blank.gif TdaC Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 7320
Lemons 8763
hearts 143

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  pangor 15 Jan 2005 17:40

You didn't mention which operating system you would prefer to use while accessing the web.  Since you are using Internet Explorer now, I assume that you prefer to use a version of Windows for your operating system while browsing, that limits the available options.  Most of the browsers that I use, have been ported over to Windows; however, in general the Windows version of most of them are not as functional as their original versions.

I have heard some good things about Opera, I have tried it on my platform, I did not like it.  That is my feeling only, you may have a different reaction to it.  The browser that I am most of the time, these days is Mozilla.  I have not tried the Windows version of Mozilla, however, I hear that it is very similar to the version that I am using.

If you do try Mozilla, don't install too much of it.  If are happy using tour current email software and newsreader, don't install Mozilla's newsread and email.  If you don't care about IRC or you already have an IRC client that you are happy with, don't install Mozilla's IRC client. etc.  This helps with stability and performance.  For stability sake, unless you need a bleeding edge feature, try to stay with the stable versions of Mozilla; rather than the developmental and release canadate versions of Mozilla.

Pangor

pangor 

#3  Poserkatz 15 Jan 2005 18:06

Win98 and ISDN, 64kb-flatrate - therefore, i browse with IE 5.5 (with a lot of patches).
In over 90 % of websites, forms, forums and so on it works well to me.
Only the newest divx- and wma-files i can't play, because i don't have the codecs (use
still the mediaplayer version 6.4 - Mediaplayer 7 and up are shitty to my configuration).
The IE 5.5. works stabile on my system - so i don't have a reason to try out other programs.

Years ago i had many runs with Netscape, Opera and other Programs/Versions - but there
are too much "insanities" in function, so i give it up at last and went back to IE.
I don't use programs like AOL-MS-Instantmessengers or ICQ and so on, they are to me
"ressource-eaters", not more, i don't like them, i don't need them.

Most of my adjustments are made per hand on my own with further tools "most good old tools".
Therefore, my browser is very useful and my connection is secure and speedy enough.

I don't have wishes to alter this...

Poserkatz Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2580
Lemons 1762
hearts 0

#4  pangor 15 Jan 2005 18:12

TdaC, I forget to mention, I am using a PPP dialup connection and my hardware is a few years older than yours.

Pangor

Last edited by pangor on 15 Jan 2005 18:17; edited 1 time in total 
 pangor 

#5  erenda 15 Jan 2005 21:50

I'm using Windows XP , but te Internet Explorer is tooo slow. Frequently I'm using Opera , it has some bugs , but the speed is good. I'm using also Mozilla Firefox , but Opera is more handy.

erenda 

#6  TdaC 15 Jan 2005 22:08

I have windows 98 if that's what you mean... I don't use isq, messenger or that sort of stuff - i feel no need of it. I do use outlookexpress soetimes. Firefox/ Mozilla is still very very extremly annoyingly slow     I have so change to something else very soon or i will go nuts   

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 7320
Lemons 8763
hearts 143

Post Re: browsers?

#7  pangor 16 Jan 2005 01:33

I have not tried the firefox version yet.  So far I am still using one of the slightly older stable releases.  Also I am using a copy that I compiled from sourcecode optimized with a some extra features, including debugging code and automated bug reports, disabled.  Perhaps that could be enough of a difference to make it not so slugish.  Most of the precompiled versions of Mozilla from their website have the debugging code turned on, resulting in a lot of extra internal sanity checks.  The sanity checks do slow down the rendering process.  Also, it seems to me that the debugging code tends to make the program less stable.

I see that the version that I am using is a couple of releases out of date.  You can find the most recent version of that series here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

Pangor

pangor 

#8  ahjah 16 Jan 2005 02:10

Hi all, hi Thilda
I´m using Firefox 1.0 and Thunderbird since ~six weeks now
I came from IE, and had tried earlier versions of the Fox and Mozilla before but wasn´t satisfied.
But the Fox 1.0 works well, reliable and fast on my old P III 500 /256ram and M$ NT4

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#9  Tormie 16 Jan 2005 16:07

Hi Thilda, try this :

http://avantbrowser.com/

It's very similar to internet explorer but more friendly and secure, even if I have to say that if you keep you windows xp upgraded you won't have security problems (maybe...).

Firefox works well, the problem with firefox, for example with smilies placement, is that it use strictly the official html features and internet explorer support non official, special things. I know that, because while digging in the site's code and later watching the effect on different browser I found that firefox does the right thing even if explorere is more useful. For example the main site logo of posetteforever in internet explorer is showed at the left side, in firefox it's in the middle of the page, and if you write a log url in the "news" showed in the main page the page become too big with firefox because (I don't know why...) it applies the "nowrap" function to links   ....

Try the avan browser and tell us what you think about it..

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#10  pangor 16 Jan 2005 17:28

It looks interesting, it has a small footprint, and even the price is right.    I am downloading a copy of Avant now.  Perhaps it will corretly render my home page when I acess my web server while running Windows.  That will nice for a change.

Pagor

pangor 

#11  Tormie 16 Jan 2005 19:32

I like it a lot   !

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#12  tazman 16 Jan 2005 21:12

I mostly use IE, but I still have firefox, which I occasionally use. The security issues with IE (from the firefox site) does concern me, but I have noticed that firefox does have a few compatibilty problems, one being java script.

The bananas rock once more.

tazman Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2240
Lemons 1346
hearts 0

#13  TdaC 16 Jan 2005 22:01

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack I have switched back to explorer so i'm much happier    Earlier today i visited rdna and their front page took 3,5 minuts to open, a few hours later the computer froze because of firefox, so  i removed it. Also while using firefox - that is safer -  i had several more objects found by spyboot that was considered to be high security risk objects. so i think i'll just take my chanses with explorer.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 7320
Lemons 8763
hearts 143

#14  Tormie 16 Jan 2005 23:00

I reinstalled the avant browser just now and it recognizes the Blog feeds !  

O yes, we have a blog here since a long time ago but no one used it       ...

So, with the avant browser just put this in the address window :

feed://posetteforever.com/rss.php

Last edited by Tormie on 16 Jan 2005 23:01; edited 1 time in total 
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#15  Ozymandias Jones 17 Jan 2005 00:17

I use IE most of the time, but I change computers so much at work and at home, I change browsers all the time. I'm on IE 5.5 (on a win 95 box) at the moment    but use the latest one on the XP laptop at home and I like to use firefox a lot of the time.

Computer Lie #1: You'll never use all that disk space.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

blank.gif Ozymandias Jones Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 12510
Lemons 7905
hearts 10