I just built a Media center !

Article
Post I just built a Media center ! 

Ok, it's not Poser/Posette   related but I want to tell you about my last "experiment".

Just under my tv I had a sat receiver and a dvd/dvx reader + a dolby 5.1 amplifier.

I spent 59 € for the amplifier some times ago at the hard discount store, the receiver was a "dreambox" and it costed me a lot and the dvd/dvx reader costs 39 €.

I had the problem that the dxd read was unable to read all the dvx codecs so I thought to build a media center   ...

I sold the sat receiver at ebay for the right amount of € and bought a a barebone case, here it is : (Tormie's Minipc)

The I added the old cpu. memory modules and graphic card from my brother's pc (Ok, I bought for him new ones, more powerful, at ebay   ) and bought at ebay an hard disk, a sat card (Tormie's sat card) and what I plundered from my brother's PC   and assembled it all. I needed also a windows xp media center 2005 edition with the IR remote control and a wireless keyboard, mouse and lan card, found at a reasonable price at ebay.
At last it costed me about 400 €, I found the money selling my reciever (250€) , an old russian radio and a commodore 64 C   (But I still have a better and older one here   )

It works very well   , but the reason why I posted this message is that if you want to do something similar I suggest you to try this wonderful (and totally freeware   ) piece of software :Mediaportal
It's an alternative to the Windows Media Center and it works better, a lot better and has the support for all my old   hardware (I don't need new things to do a simple job like reading some dvx on the dvd reader).

Try it, it worths the cost (zero)...  

Tormie [ 17 Jul 2005 17:20 ]

Comments
Very cool Tormie, looks like your all set to go now.

guiltypleasures [ 17 Jul 2005 19:09 ]
Thank you GP, it just one of my useless but very expensive things    

Tormie [ 17 Jul 2005 21:31 ]
Cool!  

JanReinar [ 18 Jul 2005 00:03 ]
The difference between men and boys is the price of the toys  

Ozymandias Jones [ 18 Jul 2005 03:18 ]

Pangor

pangor [ 23 Jul 2005 22:34 ]
HideWas this topic useful?
Page 1 of 1