I'm hoping...

Page 1 of 1

Post I'm hoping...

#1  DarkAngel 10 May 2006 20:14

[align=center:539e8fd228]I got this in an email. The images were tossed into the email and and felt my muse yanking at me to make this for her.

Hopefully in my placing this all across the web it will find its way into her hands (hopefully by Mother's Day).  

================

The original email reads as follows:

===================

This is what a real Marine's Mother does!!!!!!

CAMP  PENDLETON, Calif.
                (March 2,  2006)

Karla Comfort received a lot of looks and even some salutes  from people when she drove from Benton, Ark., to Camp Pendleton, Calif., in  her newly-painted, custom Hummer H3 March 2. The vehicle is adorned with the  likeness of! her son, 20-year-old Lance Cpl. John M. Holmason, and nine  other Marines with F Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine  Division who where all killed by the same improvised explosive device blast  in Fallujah, Iraq, in December. For Karla Comfort,  having the vehicle air brushed with the image of the 10 Marines was a way to  pay homage to her hero and his fellow comrades who fell on Iraq's urban  battlefield.

"I wanted to let people know (Marines) are doing their  jobs honorably, and some of them die," said the 39-year-old from Portland, OR "I don't want people to forget the  sacrifices that my son and the other Marines made."

Leading up to her  son's death, Karla Comfort had received several letters from him prior to  his return. He had been deployed for five months, and Comfort "worried  everyday he was gone until she got the letters and found out the date he was  coming home," she said.

Marines knocked on the front door of her  home in Farmington,  Mich., at 3 am with the  dreadful news.

"I let my guard ! down whe n I found out he was coming  home," she said. "There are times that I still cannot believe it happened.  It's very hard to deal with."

Karla Comfort  came up with the idea for the rolling memorial when she and her two other  sons attended John's funeral in Portland, Ore.

"I saw a Vietnam  (War) memorial on a car, and I said to my son Josh, 'we should do something  like that for John,' she recalled. "He loved  Hummers."

She purchased the  vehicle in January and immediately took it to AirbrushGuy & Co. in  Benton, Ark., where artist Robert Powell went to  work on changing the plain, black vehicle into a decorative, mobile, art  piece.

"I only had the  vehicle for two days before we took it in," she  joked.

Two hundred  and fifty man-hours later, Powell had completed the vehicle. The custom job  would have cost $25,000.  Out of respect for Karla Comfort's loss and  the sacrifices the Marines made, AirbrushGuy & Co. did it for free.  Comfort only had to purchase the paint, which cost $3,000.

"I love  it," she said. "I'm really impressed with it, and I think John would be  happy with the vehicle. He would have a big smile on his face because he  loved Hummers."

Karla Comfort  gave Powell basic instructions on what to include in the paint job. But in  addition to the image of her son in Dress Blues and the faces of the nine  other Marines, there were several surprises.  "He put a lot more on  than I expected," she said. "I think my favorite part is the heaven  scene."

On the left side of the vehicle, a detail of Marines are  depicted carrying their fallen comrades through the clouds to their final  resting place. The American flag drapes across the hood, the words, "Semper  Fi" crown the front windshield and the spare tire cover carries the same  Eagle Globe and Anchor design that her son had tattooed on his back.  

"All the support I have been getting is wonderful," she  said.

Karla Comfort decided to move back to her hometown of Portland,  and making the cross-country trip from Arkansas was a way for her to share her  son's story. It's also her way of coping with the loss.  

"Along the way I got nothing but positive feedback  from people," she said. "What got to me was when people would salute the  guys (Marines). It's hard to look at his picture. I still cry and try to get  used to the idea, but it's hard to grasp the idea that he's really  gone."

[img:539e8fd228]http://myweb.cableone.net/comartdw/xtras/marinemom.jpg[/img:539e8fd228][/align:539e8fd228]

[img:95fb4ddf50]http://myweb.cableone.net/comartdw/images/personal/panthereyes.gif[/img:95fb4ddf50]

DarkAngel Gender: Female
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 110
Lemons 227
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  Posy 10 May 2006 20:17

Where do you like to go camping? Stellst Du Fragen ueber Dich selbst? I can not experience pain. Since when?   What makes it your favorite?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#3  Tormie 10 May 2006 22:56

A sad story and a good paintwork. However I can't have a clear opinion on the job itself I think because of a cultural difference. I mean that it would be impossible to see a memorial car like that in europe and that's something that I would know more about the differences in "american life" and "european life". There are many example, one of them could be the showing of the national flag, I can see that in the U.S.A. the national flag is everywhere, also in a lot of private houses, here is different, showing the national flag on the front of the house could be seen as a "strange" behaviour. I think it's not linked to the "love for the country" but it's something else that I don't know. However a paintwork like that couldn't be understood here in the same way that's understood in the U.S.A. What I think is that is an expression of the love of a mother for a son that is missed.

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#4  Posy 10 May 2006 22:57