Pappino leaves !

Page 1 of 1

Post Pappino leaves !

#1  Tormie 29 May 2004 19:02

Hi friends, Pappino wrote this message under a picture in the album :

[color=#000000:adb6b6c39d][i:adb6b6c39d]Hi Folks,

This photo is of two buddies of mine from The 6th Tank Battalion in Korea. They both look dirty and scruffy, but you would too, if you didn't have a bath in two or three months. It was also rare for us to get a hot meal. My tank crew found out how my Italian temper can be aroused. One morning I fired over their heads with a 45 caliber sub-machine gun. We had hit a tank mine that blew the left front road wheel off and threw the left track. We worked through the night to fix the tank. No easy task to change a road wheel and getting the damned track back on. I took a little nap, and when I woke up, I found that the crew didn't leave anything for me to eat. I cocked my 45 caliber machine gun, affectionately called a 'grease gun' and fired a whole clip of thirty rounds over their heads. I told them that the next time they didn't leave anything for me to eat, I'd drop my aim a few clicks. If you look at the right side of the turret, you'll see the number 15 inside a triangle. Also the fenders have D-15 on them. That was my tank in Korea. The 'D' stands for Dog Company, the 1 stands for the first platoon, and the 5 means that it is the fifth tank in the first platoon. Just thought I'd throw that in for good measure.

I thought this photo was appropriate for what I have to say. Most have heard the old saying, "Old soldiers never die... they just fade away."

Well folks, I think it's time for this old soldier to just fade away. I'm a lung cancer survivor and I was supposed to be history a little over two years ago. I've proved the doctors wrong, so far, but weekly chemotherapy for six months has left me with a number of side effects. One of the effects of the chemo was that it killed some of the nerves in both of my hands. As such, my hands become almost completely numb. The numbness hinders my efforts doing anything constructive in Poser. At least anything worthwhile to post here. Besides, it is difficult to keep up with all of you talented folks here at Posetteforever.

I'd like to thank all of you for your constructive comments and for being more than kind in your critiques. I'll stop by from time to time, just to see the work that you talented folks keep pumping out. I'll also try to keep up with GP's charm, wit, and humor... not to mention her beautiful renders. I'm glad I found an old Harley buddy here too. Tormentor, you're doing a wonderful job with Posetteforever. I know that keeping your site as a free forum for us folks isn't an easy task. I maintain a website, so I know that it takes a good deal of time and effort, not to mention the cost. Thanks for providing a place for folks to display their art and to share their comments. If it's okay with you, I'll put a link to your site at my site.

If any of you wish to see if I've come up with anything new, you are welcome to visit my site. The URL address for my site is: http://www.phil-deriggi.com

Once my homepage loads, you will find a text link for my Poser 5 graphics index page. You can also left click the 'Graphics' menu button. When the main graphics links page loads, you'll find a text link for Poser 5 graphics. I have two index pages for my Poser work.

Take care, stay safe, and be good. Sorry for taking up so much space with this message.

Ciao,
Phil[/i:adb6b6c39d][/color:adb6b6c39d]

I thought that putting his message in the forum was the right thing to do, I'm very, very sad, also because I was too much time away from the album because of my troubles and lazyness and I'm watching his pictures only now...
What I think is that anyone of us has a personal story and it is sad that only few persons know it... I didn't know that you were ill Pappino, I'm very sorry, I saw the pictures of your army period and I understand how you are proud of what you've done there. I know only a little the feeling: I saw the effects of a civil war as a U.N. soldier in Mozambique (I was a paratrooper of the italian "Folgore" division and of the "Paratroopers alpinists" company), but the Korea war was a serious thing and even if today it's one of the "forgotten wars" I red a lot about it.

Phil, don't worry if you have problems using Poser because of your hands, we are here only to have fun and relax, it's not an obligation to post pictures...
I'm glad to have known you, thank you for your kind words !  

Last edited by Tormie on 20 Jun 2004 18:04; edited 2 times in total 
it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  JanReinar 29 May 2004 20:09

God Bless You my friend! God stay with you! Take care yourself Old Soldier!

Last edited by JanReinar on 30 May 2004 02:08; edited 1 time in total 
blank.gif JanReinar Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

#3  Den Tracy 29 May 2004 20:31

Phil :
It saddens me to hear this news.
I am glad that you took my advice and came here for the brief time that you were here
and think of us as friends.
As I said to you prior to you joining,  we are not snobs here. You know which sites to
find people like that.
We are not in competition with each other here and all skill levels are more than welcome.

I did not know that you were ill, but now I see what you meant in an email to me last month.
When you have the time, we certainly would like to have you drop by for a visit.
On those days where things are a little better than the day before, post an image if you are
able.

blank.gif Den Tracy Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5710
Lemons 5299
hearts 0

#4  tda42 29 May 2004 21:24

I to am glad we talked.It has been a pleasure so many times to see you out here.The things we talked about will always stay with me.I wish you a smooth ride on that Harley with no bumps in the road along the way.Remember my friend "Ride into the wind to resist it".Come back when you can.

Last edited by tda42 on 29 May 2004 21:26; edited 1 time in total 
blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#5  pbnj 29 May 2004 22:42

though i am new here i am incredibly saddened.      

den is right, this place is not about compeiting. its one of the true communities for friendship and sharing.   please take care and keep in touch      there are more reasons to come here then just Poser.  there's a great group of people here that care about you.

blank.gif pbnj Gender: Female
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1610
Lemons 1189
hearts 0

#6  Deviant_Viking 29 May 2004 23:56

I'm afraid due to my absence I haven't really gotten to know Phil.
So all I really can do is show my respect to the old soldier.

Deviant_Viking Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 6440
Lemons 5480
hearts 0

#7  messenger 30 May 2004 01:52

hi Phil I haven't really gotten to know you either but I do wish you peace and i will be praying for you..do try to come around every now and then ..posting pics is not a requirement on this site or many of us would not be here very often..just know that you are a part of us as a family of friends...
God Bless

messenger Gender: Female
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2970
Lemons 2295
hearts 0

#8  TdaC 30 May 2004 06:29

This is so sad You'll be in my prayers. I've enjoyed your images and posts and i hope you come by the site when you're feeling better.

blank.gif TdaC Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 7320
Lemons 8763
hearts 143

#9  guiltypleasures 31 May 2004 15:53

Sorry to hear things are this bad for you phil, I pray things get better soon and even if you aren't able to post pictures, we all hope you will try when able to come visit us here and let us know how things are for you. Remember you can always learn to use your toes to paint with
Take care and know we all care very much for you.

Always your friend
Rene  

blank.gif guiltypleasures Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#10  Nex 01 Jun 2004 23:33

Peace be with you and May God Bless and Heal you Phil.

Nex 

#11  Ozymandias Jones 13 Jun 2004 10:01

Take care of yourself, Phill.

Please do drop by sometimes and say hi.

regards, Ozy

Computer Lie #1: You'll never use all that disk space.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

blank.gif Ozymandias Jones Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 12510
Lemons 7905
hearts 10

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Where's Pappino ? Tormie The Posetteforever diary 5 06 Jan 2005 14:29 View latest post
JanReinar
No new posts De Railment leaves at 6:00 Sharp! guiltypleasures Guiltypleasures' Clubhouse 38 08 Apr 2004 18:40 View latest post
tda42

Page 1 of 1