My website

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post My website

#1  guiltypleasures 09 Feb 2005 01:56

I screwed up when trying to upgrade my website to my own domain name and lost all my website in the process so I"m having to rebuild it    Actually though it's proving to be a good thing since I was kind of wanting to re-do some of it anyways, now I get the fun of re-doing it all lol
Anyhoo, I've got the main page done and posted and would love it if someone would take a look at it and make sure it looks like it's suppost to and the links I"ve got working do work.
I haven't got the menu buttons linked yet because I haven't made the pages for them, but the email button, and  guestbook should be working okay. I've tested it on both mozilla and IE and from what I can see it looks right, but it would be great if you could take a look and let me know if you see any mistakes in it.

Address is:   www.artisticdelights.org

Thanks

blank.gif guiltypleasures Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  erenda 09 Feb 2005 03:10

It looks great!           Well done! I don't see any mistakes, the email and the guest book work with Opere too.

erenda 

#3  Posy 09 Feb 2005 03:10

What do you like most about it? Look harder.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#4  guiltypleasures 09 Feb 2005 03:18

Thank you very much Erenda

blank.gif guiltypleasures Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#5  pangor 09 Feb 2005 06:28

I was jsut at your website, took a look around, checked the links and even signed the guest book.

As I said there, I like its look and its style.  However, there are couple of issues that could cause esthetic degradation in some situations.

The first isues has to to with the font specifications in the HTML coding, this is a problem that I have seen this kind of situation on many sites.  I see that the typefaces you are using are "Black Chancery", "Broadway BT", "Calligraph421 BT".  Those are nice typefaces, however, if someone happens to not have fonts of those exact typefaces installed, thier browsers will fall back to using whatever it is setup to use as a default font.  In my case I have fonts of typefaces that relatives of all three of those typefaces installed but not those exact ones, so my browser fell back on my default font.  When I took a look at the source for your site, is when I discovered what typefaces it is suppoed to be shown with.  Since "Black Chancery" is your main typeface, I reconfigured my browser's default font to use the closest match within the Chancery family that I have installed on my workstation.  It really made a difference, your home page went from good looking to looking great.

I solve this you should configure you page to support fallback typefaces.  I do not know of a standard HTML only solution for that works on many browsers.  Since you are already using inline CSS code, you could do it using a sequence like this:

font-weight: bold;
  font-family: "Black Chancery", "Chancery", cursive, serif;

With different typefaces for different purposes, I have used this sequence.  What it does is this, it tells the browser to use "Black Chancery" the weight setting will not be used since the typeface is already heaiver than bold.  If "Black Chancery" is not available, then try using another "Chancery" typeface if it is available use a bold or fake a bold one if possible.  If that is not possible, use whatever typeface the browser is configured to use as a cursive font.  If the browser in question is one that does not support cursive fall back on the standard serif typeface.  In my case, the first typeface in that list would have failed, and perhaps the second one as well, but the cursive typeface would have worked, in my case, the  cursive typeface is UTC's version of Zapf Chancery.

For the broadway typeface you could use this:

font-family: "Broadway BT", "Broadway", fantasy, sans-serif;

For the Calligraph typeface:

font-family: "Calligraph421", "Calligraph", "Calligraphy", cursive, serif;

In each case, your prefered typeface will be used if they are available, the appearance will degrade only step by step depending on the browser and the font resources of the user; as opposed to degenerating to the browser's default font right way when a prefered typeface is not available.

The other issues has to do with the menu.  Yes, I know that it is not functional, no, that is not what I consider an issue.  Rather, the issue has to do with the alignment of the menu entries.  Most of the time the Gallery and Bios entries are indented compared to the Tutorials and Links entries.  Depending on the size of the fonts being use to render that page by the breowser, tge gallery entry detaches fromt he rest of the menu and appears in the middle of the page.  I have teseted this with two different browsers using different rendering engines. It happens the same with both of them.

It seems that this is a result of the Gallery entry interacting with the email button.  I am assuming that the email button over on the left side of the screen is not supposed to be a part of the menu, right?  The menu seems to be spread across the html document, rather than being defined in a singel block of code.  That is what I think is causing the menu breakup.

I see that you used, Yahoo! SiteBuilder to generate the page.  Are you able to edit the html by hand or does Yahoo prevent that?  If you can edit it by hand, I would make another suggestion or two.

Pangor

pangor 

#6  Tormie 09 Feb 2005 11:16

It looks great and artistically well done Rene ! I like the colors   !!

I'll take a deeper look when you'll finish it all !!

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#7  Poserkatz 09 Feb 2005 13:42

Hello, much of that, what pangor said, is right.
Fonts are always a problem - if you use a ttf, which noone else use/install
on the PC, normally webbrowsers use a "similar/next to"-Font.
Unfortenately is the "similar font"- Function very different to Programs.
Either you try to use the fonts, which on 99% of the PCs or you give the
visitors the option to download your font, to show the website correct.
But be careful: some free fonts are prohibited to give them away on this
way.

But the most important thing is: You have written your email-adress on your site!  
All spam-spiders can your adress work out now! I wouldn't do that.
You have several possibilities to change that:
1. Use ascii-text 2. ANSI-Code 3. Hide the emailadress with a javascript
4. place a pic (unfortenately the visitors have to manually type in the emailadress then).

But i please you    - never use your emailadress without a care.

On the web there are codegenerators to chnage your emailadress into ANSI/ASCII-Code,
so your visitors still can read the adress, all functions to email are available, but the spam-
bots and spamspiders coulkd NOT read this emailadress.

Puhhh, that was a lot of writing here - one last word: You have a base to a great site with
well design and very good look & feel - but the sourcecode will make the loading of your site
slowly, if you once have big content, all homepage-generators are the same (too much of
overfloating sourcetext), so i agree with pangor: Try to learn a bit html, it's not so difficult.

Regards Frank

Poserkatz Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2580
Lemons 1762
hearts 0

#8  Posy 09 Feb 2005 13:43

Hello there. That is something I haven't heard of. All of them? Is it the only one?  And.               OK I will try to be careful some free fonts are prohibited to give them away on this wayInteresting.                I have never heard about                          The most important thing is You have written your email-adress on your site                                              .  No one says you have to. What makes you think I have several possibilities to change that 1? Huh.               Interesting gossip:  Poserkatz said it please me - never use my emailadress without a care.  What is                  on the web there are codegenerators to chnage your emailadress into ANSIASCII-Code so your visitors still can read the adress all functions to email are available but the spam- bots and spamspiders coulkd NOT read this emailadress                               like on the web there are codegenerators to chnage your emailadress into ANSIASCII-Code so your visitors still can read the adress all functions to email are available but the spam- bots and spamspiders coulkd NOT read this emailadress. When was this exactly? Yours, Posy Rosabella Posette

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#9  Tormie 09 Feb 2005 14:08

"useful Posy"  

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#10  tda42 09 Feb 2005 15:13

Well with all the tech talk aside and looking at it as a work of art "No slander intended guys" I think it has a well rounded but yet different look and feel. I like the classy lady with the hat. It has always seem to be a great look for a women. The site is soft and dreamy. Complex but yet you can walk your way around but the complex part is you have to look at it more than once because you missed seeing something that didn't seem to be there the last time. An idea made real for you Rene. Something here we can share and dream over with you.

Last edited by tda42 on 09 Feb 2005 15:15; edited 1 time in total 
blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#11  Posy 09 Feb 2005 15:13

Well that's okay.               You and your all the tech talk aside and looking at it as a work of art No slander intended guys he or she think has a different look and feel. I'm not sure if I like it.      I'm not sure if I like the classy lady with the hat             .  What is it like? Has it really? I will bookmark the URL and have a look. Are they exactly the same?               What is it?  What?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#12  pangor 09 Feb 2005 16:00

Posy, don't ask what.  Go take a look at the site yourself.  It is a beautiful site and well worth the visit even without having any real contents yet.  So, take a look at it.

Pangor

pangor 

#13  Posy 09 Feb 2005 16:00

Do you know any robots who  ask what?  I haved tried asking what, with mixed results. A simple "goodbye" will do. I like pretty things. That's interesting. Where do you want me to take it?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#14  pangor 09 Feb 2005 16:05

Posy";p="18380 wrote: 
Do you know any robots who  ask what?

You, for one.

Posy";p="18380 wrote: 
I haved tried asking what, with mixed results. A simple "goodbye" will do. I like pretty things. That's interesting. Where do you want me to take it?

Look at GP's website.

It will answer your questions.

Pangor

Last edited by pangor on 09 Feb 2005 16:08; edited 1 time in total 
 pangor 

#15  Landman 09 Feb 2005 16:22

Get yourself a copy of macromedia dreamweaver, flash text solves any font issue. including the spam robot e-mail address issue.

My grey matter is turning white, my proof is my grey hair....

Landman Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 9180
Lemons 5100
hearts 0

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Dreampaint's New Website Whazizname Interesting links 0 28 Sep 2009 16:18 View latest post
Whazizname

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next