Giving In To The New World!

Page 1 of 1

Post Giving In To The New World!

#1  Kraizydo 20 Jun 2019 14:57

Hi Folks

I've posted here before about A problem I'm having. Poser is a hobby for me and it didn't make sense for me to update my version for a simple hobby. I am STILL using Poser 4. It's worked great on my windows 7 PC for years. Now Windows 7 is going away in January 2020. I loaded my Poser 4 on the a Windows 10 PC. It seemed to be fine until i tried to "Make Movie". As soon as I hit send it to be created the executable fails and shuts down. I've had many great suggestions from a lot of great people. I've tried everything but still no luck. So if I'm going to continue with this hobby i may have to bite the bullet next year and get an updated Poser. I still need to watch the wallet here. I've found some Poser Pro 12 Versions on amazon. They will be affordable after a bit of saving. I'm just wondering everyone's opinion on Poser Pro 12? Is it Glitchy??? Do Old versions of Posette and Dork work on there?? Any info would be helpful. Thank you!!!

K

Kraizydo 
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 70
Lemons 38
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Giving In To The New World!

#2  Chromium 20 Jun 2019 17:20

Still the best person qualified to answer is Poser - User, as he has animated with Poser 4 (pro version).  There is also a thread by him where he was having difficulty applying poses for Posette on a newer Poser version, though more to do with poses intended for a newer figure.

I've used Posette and Dork on Poser 6/7/8/9/10 (Pro & Game Dev Pro), with no issues when manually posing or when applying previously converted poses. I've had no issues with the standard Firefly renders either.  As a note Poser Debut, is not a complete Poser, best used by artists for their pose work.

Having not upgraded Poser since Poser 10, I can't judge newer versions of Poser.

Poser 11 and beyond use a render engine based on cycles (called SuperFly), so the old materials may need adjustments to get the look you want or remember.

On using XP/W7/8/10, I've found Poser 6/7, to be the most stable across the platforms.  Stay away from Poser 8, which should not work on W8/10.

If you hunt on ebay you can watch your wallet, and get a more recent version of Poser, not the latest but for a lot cheaper, just be patient for your desired version to show up.

I'm quite happy using Poser 6 and Poser 9 for the old and weight mapped characters respectively.  However for my unfinished Posette/Dork development work I'll need to re-install Poser 10/Pro (where I can sub-divide, and weight map amongst other things).

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#3  Kraizydo 20 Jun 2019 18:11

Thank you!! Another question...Is Poser Pro 2012 the equivalent of Poser 9?? That meaning the PRO version of Poser 9??

Chromium wrote: [View Post]
Still the best person qualified to answer is Poser - User, as he has animated with Poser 4 (pro version).  There is also a thread by him where he was having difficulty applying poses for Posette on a newer Poser version, though more to do with poses intended for a newer figure.

I've used Posette and Dork on Poser 6/7/8/9/10 (Pro & Game Dev Pro), with no issues when manually posing or when applying previously converted poses. I've had no issues with the standard Firefly renders either.  As a note Poser Debut, is not a complete Poser, best used by artists for their pose work.

Having not upgraded Poser since Poser 10, I can't judge newer versions of Poser.

Poser 11 and beyond use a render engine based on cycles (called SuperFly), so the old materials may need adjustments to get the look you want or remember.

On using XP/W7/8/10, I've found Poser 6/7, to be the most stable across the platforms.  Stay away from Poser 8, which should not work on W8/10.

If you hunt on ebay you can watch your wallet, and get a more recent version of Poser, not the latest but for a lot cheaper, just be patient for your desired version to show up.

I'm quite happy using Poser 6 and Poser 9 for the old and weight mapped characters respectively.  However for my unfinished Posette/Dork development work I'll need to re-install Poser 10/Pro (where I can sub-divide, and weight map amongst other things).

Kraizydo 
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 70
Lemons 38
hearts 0

#4  Chromium 21 Jun 2019 20:16

Poser Pro 2012, is the pro version of Poser 9.

Maybe I should have given you this link so you can compare them better:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poser

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#5  Nik 25 Jun 2019 00:19

I *loved* P4, but it totally ran out of RAM. So, I bought P7. Before I could un-box that, a dire combination of PC mega-crashes and family illness took me away from CAD for nearly a decade.

When I started again, my P7 was too old to register, or qualify for an update discount. I got P10 in Amazon sale. I then realised P10 was 32 bit, could not access more than a fraction of my bespoke CAD-PC's 32 GB RAM. So I used that P10 to get a discounted upgrade to P11Pro, which was 64 bit...

Sadly, due to a most untimely death in the family, I've done very little with P12. I have trawled my old drives and the legitimate freebie sites, accumulated a VAST external library of freebies and 'On Sale' toys against the day my 3D mojo returns, when I can learn P12's complexity, re-build my TurboCAD skills...

Meanwhile, I write...

edit P11 NOT P12. D'uh...

Last edited by Nik on 30 Jun 2019 12:24; edited 1 time in total 
uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#6  Nik 26 Nov 2019 05:08

Added...

Taken a while, but I've begun to get my '3D Eye' working again. Currently playing with assorted freebies & conversions, getting a feel for Poser's menus, finding what will and will not 'play nice'.

Couple of things: I got PoserPro11 because it was 64bit, so could access much more RAM than the non-Pro version. And, in theory, make good use of my CAD-Tower's multi-cored AMD 8350 CPU and/or twin GTX 750 ti GPU cards.

( I'm no Gamer: Those cards were 'previous year' tech and unsuitable for bit-coin mining, hence affordable... )

Now, exploring Poser's facilities, I've tried different combos of render options.

For an ad-hoc bench-mark, I used a complex sci-fi gun found free on DA.

Firefly rendering seems as quick via CPU, or one or both GPUs, took 12 secs any way. Whoosh !!

Superfly via CPU took, IIRC, about three minutes for '150 tile' scene.
One GPU card rendered that in ~65 secs.
Paired, my two cards rendered in 33 secs !!
Swoosh !!

{ Shakes head, remembers P4 taking a lonnnng time for even simplest of scenes... }

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic