Fog

Fog
Article
Post Fog 

Here are a few fog techniques:

This thread contains the technique that I used in "Foggy Place". The thread starts as a discussion of MatMatic fog; but changes to simple node based fog planes too.
http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum...wMessage=316436

Something similar:
http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum...wMessage=264139

I have found many useful tips in this forum {Some are waaay over my head; though that doesn't stop me from gathering some insight from them.}; if you like the info here, I suggest setting the "email notification enabled" to yes, that way you will get an email whenever someone creates a new post in the topic forum (This is available for all forums at RDNA).

(:

Whazizname [ 29 Aug 2007 12:50 ]

Fog
Comments
Post Re: Fog 

Thanks Whazizname. :thumb: I will check it out along with the rest f the cool stuff out there.  :bigrinnin:

tda42 [ 29 Aug 2007 15:31 ]

Thank you for the tip  :grin:  :thumb: I'm going to check & save it  :)

Tormie [ 29 Aug 2007 20:01 ]

Here is another render from my experiments with the "ground fog" technique.
In this one I used two planes with different texturing, in an attempt to create some depth to the fog.

(:

Whazizname [ 30 Aug 2007 02:59 ]

Not bad. Maybe you could tell us in your own words how you did it. (Kenny is putting Whazizname on the chopping block.) :wink:  O:)  :lmao:  :thumb:

tda42 [ 30 Aug 2007 09:28 ]

tda42 wrote: [View Post]
Not bad. Maybe you could tell us in your own words how you did it. (Kenny is putting Whazizname on the chopping block.) :wink:  O:)  :lmao:  :thumb:

Heheh... that very thought lead me to do another experiment last night ("great minds think alike"); so not only will I explain it, I'll post an image & a screen capture of the materials room.
 :)

Explaination:

Load a "one sided square" (from Poser's primitives...);
rotate it to be parallel to the scene ground (visible side up!); then Y trans it to the desired height (ankle, or knee height works well);
scale it to fill the desired area;
Go to materials room, and attach a Fractal Sum node to the transparency & transparency_edge channels; set both values to 1.0 (falloff can be left as is, or adjusted to your tastes);
Adjust X, Y, Z scaling in Fractal Sum node to get the desired fog "pattern" (other settings in the node can be be adjusted as desired);
Change diffuse color of square to  light bluish color (for normal fog; other colors can be used for "otherworldly" fog, or smoke); In low light scenes, I also change the ambient color to a light bluish tone, then set it's value to about .3. (I suppose that the "alternate diffuse" channel could also be used for this; but I have not tried it yet.)

{The thread suggests attaching the Fractal Sum node to the displacement channel to increase the appearence of fog depth; but I think the change is too subtle (perhaps it works better in newer versions of Poser...); so instead, I use multiple squares, each with slightly different FBM settings, and colors.}

The images:

Whazizname [ 30 Aug 2007 14:54 ]

Oops; I always forget what order the attached images will appear in.

I think I'll post the "most satisfying" version of this image to the album; because it did turn out kind of nice.
 :)

{Whazizname exits chopping block... :walk:}
 :grin:

(:

Whazizname [ 30 Aug 2007 14:57 ]

Whazizname wrote: [View Post]
{Whazizname exits chopping block... :walk:}
 :grin: (:

:lmao:  This is why I love this place, the people and have been here for over 4 years now. Great tutorial Whazizname. :thumb:

Last edited by tda42 on 30 Aug 2007 19:33; edited 1 time in total 
 tda42 [ 30 Aug 2007 19:31 ]
Try saying that with more context.

Posy [ 30 Aug 2007 19:31 ]

I can't Posy my fingers hurt. :eh:

tda42 [ 30 Aug 2007 19:34 ]
Are you Canadian?

Posy [ 30 Aug 2007 19:34 ]

No, I'm southern.  :oops: I speak southernese. :lmao:  O:)

tda42 [ 30 Aug 2007 19:35 ]

Whazizname said: The thread suggests attaching the Fractal Sum node to the displacement channel to increase the appearence of fog depth :mmmh:

I have an idea. If you have bryce 6. Build a lattice model and make it with uneven ground to give it a wave like effect. Export to Poser as a object file. Then use it for the fog instead of the flat square.  :thumb:

tda42 [ 30 Aug 2007 23:47 ]
But I don't have it.

Posy [ 30 Aug 2007 23:47 ]

I think that is a good idea Tda42; I bet it would work with a terrain object too (for those that have bryce 4, or 5).

(:

Whazizname [ 31 Aug 2007 04:46 ]
HideWas this topic useful?
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next