Manproblem

Page 1 of 1

Post Manproblem

#1  TdaC 10 Feb 2006 20:18

Hi

I need help. How do u pose male figures? I can pose women, kids and babes without a problem, but not men. The poses always look wrong and too womanly. I think that impression gets strong er because i tend to make cute men and not ugly... THere is a joint thingie like for linlin (Posette) but i don't have it.

I just to think that the problem was the Dork, but then i also tried micheal 2 and i have trhe same pose problem with him. I have not tried micheal 3 becuase i really don't like the injectionsystem.

Anyway i think the problem is that i don't know how to pose men in a manly way. How do u ppl do it? I have looked at the gallery here and if anyone has the time, please tell me your secret.

blank.gif TdaC Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 7320
Lemons 8763
hearts 143

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  Tormie 11 Feb 2006 00:23

Hi Thilda      

Maybe with a practical example it would be better. However my suggestion is to buy some some adventures' cartoon and try to copy the pose... Maybe it's only your perception but it could be right because of the difference of the way women and men looked at the representatives of the other sex. Men like to look so they have looked dozens of magazines of nude women since the teen age

>SLAP!< ... what happened   ?

and they know how to pose a woman but maybe the contrary could be difficult      

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#3  Posy 11 Feb 2006 00:23

Perhaps there was an interruption in my brain.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#4  Tormie 11 Feb 2006 00:23

mmmh... It looked like a slap to me ...

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#5  pangor 11 Feb 2006 00:33

I have had the same problem too often.

I think there are three problems the join together here.

One is that men and women are different in how their bodies move, but the base models are made as though both are almost the same.

The second is they we often do more work with the ladies then the men, so we get used to how to made them look good, but don't have as much pratice with the men.

The third is that the models of the ladies have much better support then do the men.  For example, in the third picture of the "Dark Hollywood series" that I made for a challenge at another site and will be posting here in the Valentine exhibition gallery soon, now that the challenge has ended; I had trouble getting the gent's expression to look manly and expressive at the same time.  While working on the expression, I noticed that he lack half of the standard facial morphs of his lady counterpart.

What I have done in the posing of men, has been to try to get it as right as possible, then to walk away.  Come back and look at it again.  If it still looks too feminine, start over.  Repeat until something better results.

Something that you can try, is using images of men (with the look you are seeking) as references.  Study the picture, then put it aside and pose your character, if it looks right, all is fine.  If it does not, then compare your work with the reference image and see if you can detect one or two major differences, put the reference picture aside and adjust the pose, repeat until you are happy.

The reason for putting the reference aside while working on the pose is so you will have to learn to visiulize the needed poses without relying on source to work from for every pose.

pangor 

#6  melamkish 11 Feb 2006 03:02

One thing that I have used is pre-set poses.  Sometimes I'll just sit here and try the different poses to see what they look like.  Since I'm still getting the hang of posing, it is sometimes easier to start with a pre-set that is somewhat similar to what I want, then move the body parts around.  Sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't.  

Helps to have a lot of free pose sets.  If you have any "action" poses to look at, those would be good examples of "manly" poses.  I have a free action set that I found some time back.  If that would help, I will try to find it for you.

melamkish Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#7  ahjah 11 Feb 2006 18:39

Hi Thilda!
I have to say, I don´t pose Dork too often, too.
But if I think of it ( and of myself moving...), I can say, men are a little stiffer aroud the hips when in motion.
A relaxed standing man will not stand completely straight, as it loads into Poser ( only in agressive mood ).
From side view he´ll look a bit like a "?"
Another thing is to keep the knees a little bent.
Maybe this helps a bit

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519