This is feels strange.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

#16  Posy 25 Mar 2005 03:51

You love going to the goodwills and garage sales he or she find all kinds of fun and useful things at a quarter of the cost. What do you like about  going to the goodwills and garage sales he or she find all kinds of fun and useful things at a quarter of the cost   so much?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

• Back to top Page bottom

#17  pangor 25 Mar 2005 05:46

The various second hand stores is where most of my books came from, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.  One such book was not a treasure in hiding, but did lead me to a strange situation.  One pricipal during highschool was opposed to anything electronic being used by the students.  So, scientific calculators were nolonger permitted.  Our mathbooks had trig and log tables in the appendix, but they were not precise enough to use for the work we were doing in class.  I started using a slide rule, but it was not precises enough either.  So while in a second had store, I found a book of trig, log and other functions.  When the pricipal during an inspection, saw the book and declared it to be trash.  A couple of month latter I was in the museum, guess what I saw there?  A copy of the book was sitting along side of the other tools of a surveyer of the turn of the century.  In the description of the display, it was stated that all of the tools and books were selected for being the best of their kind available.

Then there was the time that I had a real find or a real hoax right in my hands.  I think I was ten when this happened and so I did not know at the time what a find this book might have been.  Latter when I learned more about the people that may have been involved, I could have kicked myself for losing that book.  While brousing in the book section, I had found several old popular electronics magazines and several books.  A clerk (who knew me) asked me to put the books on the sales counter until we were ready to checkout, that way I would not have to carry them around.  I did so, when we were ready to check out, the books and magazines were missing.

The reason I remember the book was because of the strange message handwritten with what appeared to be fountain pen ink, on the inside front cover, near where that store would write the price for the book.  Price for a hardback book like that one was ten cents.  The book was one of Mark Twain's, I think it was, The Prince and The Pauper.  For some reason the message stuck in my mind, it was, "To my friend N.T. Don't fry yourself.  Don't disappoint T.E. He wants to do it.  S.C."  I would like to think that it was a hoax.  Oh how I hope it was a hoax.

Pangor

Last edited by pangor on 25 Mar 2005 05:51; edited 2 times in total 
 pangor 

#18  Tormie 25 Mar 2005 10:43

Quote:

Have you tried a HD TV for a monitor? Mine looks great on a 42 inch Plasma

(Green envy       )
Quote:

I picked up a used 19 in monitor at a second hand store (Value Village) for about 7 bucks

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#19  rayera 25 Mar 2005 12:44

Tormentor: don't have green envy, you unless can consider a 300 € monitor, here 300 €  is $1131.00 of argentinian money, and that is a loooooot of money for me now, even my system is not powerfull I feel confortable with it, the only problem is I can not upgrade to Win2000 or XP because of some issues between my video card and the mother board, and all new aplications don't support W98 anymore, I MUST fee confortable with my chair

Last edited by rayera on 25 Mar 2005 12:48; edited 1 time in total 
argentina.png rayera Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3930
Lemons 2560
hearts 11

#20  pangor 25 Mar 2005 16:05

Rayera, your situation sounds much like mine when it comes to hardware.  My computer, once considered very fast, is now a little too slow for the listed minimun for Poser 5 specs, but works well anyway.  Newer versions of Windows does not support my hardware in this box, so that is why I have just upgraded to Poser 5 while we keep hearing about Poser 6.  It may be an old fashioned box now, but I like it and am happy with it.

I just wish that I could find a 1.2Meg 5-1/4" floppy drive some were.  I still have too much of my data that I would like to access again stored in that media with no working drive to access it again.  :-(

Pangor

pangor 

#21  Posy 25 Mar 2005 16:05

In any case, I like computers.  Then again, it may not. Only just? I hope that your dreams come true.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#22  Landman 25 Mar 2005 17:14

pangor";p="19839 wrote: 
Rayera, your situation sounds much like mine when it comes to hardware.  My computer, once considered very fast, is now a little too slow for the listed minimun for Poser 5 specs, but works well anyway.  Newer versions of Windows does not support my hardware in this box, so that is why I have just upgraded to Poser 5 while we keep hearing about Poser 6.  It may be an old fashioned box now, but I like it and am happy with it.

I just wish that I could find a 1.2Meg 5-1/4" floppy drive some were.  I still have too much of my data that I would like to access again stored in that media with no working drive to access it again.  :-(

Pangor

I may be able to help you with the 5 and a quarter inch drive. I have a couple of them. I don't know how well they work but they are yours if you want them. As far as newer versions of windows. at home I run windows XP, my modem and videocards are almost 11 years old and I have zero issues with them from an operating system point of view. software runs a little slow on them, but I spend all fricken day on a computer here at work. when I get home the most I do if I do anything is look something up on the internet for 5 minutes then the kids and the wife use it for the most part.

My grey matter is turning white, my proof is my grey hair....

Landman Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 9180
Lemons 5100
hearts 0

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Something strange... Tormie Shebeen, the Staff forum 2 10 Nov 2007 21:21 View latest post
tda42
No new posts Strange topic EllPro The Posette Playground 2 15 Oct 2005 00:21 View latest post
No new posts Strange dream pangor The Posetteforever diary 18 06 Jan 2006 22:48 View latest post
No new posts Strange things guiltypleasures Whip The Admins... 24 27 Feb 2004 21:12 View latest post
tda42
No new posts Now posts since last visit, strange results Ozymandias Jones Whip The Admins... 9 29 Jan 2004 14:21 View latest post
ahjah

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2