Subject: I just built a Media center !
Ok, it's not Poser/Posette :heartbeat: related but I want to tell you about my last "experiment".

Just under my tv I had a sat receiver and a dvd/dvx reader + a dolby 5.1 amplifier.

I spent 59 € for the amplifier some times ago at the hard discount store, the receiver was a "dreambox" and it costed me a lot and the dvd/dvx reader costs 39 €.

I had the problem that the dxd read was unable to read all the dvx codecs so I thought to build a media center :lol: ...

I sold the sat receiver at ebay for the right amount of € and bought a a barebone case, here it is : (Tormie's Minipc)

The I added the old cpu. memory modules and graphic card from my brother's pc (Ok, I bought for him new ones, more powerful, at ebay :roll: ) and bought at ebay an hard disk, a sat card (Tormie's sat card) and what I plundered from my brother's PC :whistle: and assembled it all. I needed also a windows xp media center 2005 edition with the IR remote control and a wireless keyboard, mouse and lan card, found at a reasonable price at ebay.
At last it costed me about 400 €, I found the money selling my reciever (250€) , an old russian radio and a commodore 64 C :crybaby: (But I still have a better and older one here :whistle: )

It works very well :) , but the reason why I posted this message is that if you want to do something similar I suggest you to try this wonderful (and totally freeware :whistle: ) piece of software :Mediaportal
It's an alternative to the Windows Media Center and it works better, a lot better and has the support for all my old :oops: hardware (I don't need new things to do a simple job like reading some dvx on the dvd reader).

Try it, it worths the cost (zero)... :lol:

Subject:
Very cool Tormie, looks like your all set to go now. :)

Subject:
Thank you GP, it just one of my useless but very expensive things :roll: :uuh:

Subject:
Cool! :thumb:

Profile PM  
Subject:
The difference between men and boys is the price of the toys :thumb:

Profile PM  
pangor
Subject:
:thumb:

Pangor