Subject: Groan Goes The Platters Of My Hard-drives...
I'm bored - I just got broadband connected and a 4-port router to boot, so I can use my own PC now instead of my sisters. Finally got a cable to connect it to my machine this morning, and here I am.

So I've backed up all my critical stuff, installed spyware-blockers, firewalls, and I'm up to installing the inevitable virus-checker. Done, that, set it to scan... and it's been going a while now. Just before I started writing this meanderig rant, I noticed it was up to 762,000 files and rising...

Thats over THREE-QUARTER OF A MILLION FILES!!! When did this happen?!?

What scares me is I've still got 200Gb free, and I've just got an all-you-can-eat ADSL connection...

GrouchoC

(Final Talley... 824,239 files... nearly 300,000 of them images.)

Subject: Re: Groan Goes The Platters Of My Hard-drives...
Hey, what's all this images :grin: :wink: ?
I'm looking foreward to getting my ADSL in about two weeks, and I already know the next thing I'll need will be a bigger HD :roll: :prrr:

Ummm.... would you believe biological art studies....? (Ahem)

Actually, just a HUGE bunch of scans, photos and CGI renders. A lot of them are pinups - the paintings, not the cheesecake. Plus science fiction, scenery backdrops, technology... the usual.

Back in the dark ages I used to play around with video title production and whenever Igot hold of a CD-ROM of pictures I'd back it up. Guess it just grew 'n' grew 'n' grew...

GrouchoC

Well, actually when I reach the limit I take some DVD and start to transfer the stuff I downloaded on them, it's very boring but I've to do it often, the bad thing is that I forget a lot of things that I've saved :oops: :oops: , I need some more organization here :uuh:

Since I am highly paranoid about what's out there in Dataland, I've made it a cast-iron rule to back up, and back up often. I think I've been through a couple of CD Burners that way, and my DVD Burner is starting to get a little iffy as well. Good excuse to upgrade to Dula-Layer, though!

I think I've got 800 discs of so stashed all over the place... I use a little freeware program called Catfish to keep track of what's on them, or I would go nuts. Even so, I still lose track of some stuff.

GrouchoC

Good hint with that catfidh (What else for Garfield?). I'll take a look

It's well worth the look - the software is small, fast and simple. And the price is great!

Catfish 1.9 - better than closing your eyes and randomly picking a disk!

I've been using it for 6 years now... no complaints.

GrouchoC.

Subject:
Oh. <condition> GrouchoCaesar. your age is safe with me. </condition> You are too old for me.

Profile PM  
Oh... my little bit babe... you break my heart!

:uuh: :uuh: :uuh:

On a related note to my introduction of this topic, I have a question.

How obsessive-compulsive is it to try and suck down the entire freebie content of Renderosity? I mean, really? It's not as if I actually need all the files I've been snarfing down.

Seriously though, have any of you out there been through the "gimme, gimme, gimme!" stage?

(It seems to be fading now I've finished with 'Rosity...)

I wouldn't mind it, but for the fact I've been so busy finding stuff for Poser that I haven't actually used the program in about a week now!

GrouchoC

Take all the freebies has sense because we can't know if the freebies will be available in the future, a lot of them disappear because the site is no more existing for example. This is the reason why we try to host here all the Posette's freebies that is possible to obtain from the authors :)

Subject:
Where do you want me to take it?

Profile PM  

Page 1 of 1