Help! This Dinosaur (poser 4) Hates Me!

Page 1 of 1

Post Help! This Dinosaur (poser 4) Hates Me!

#1  Lickitung 16 Nov 2009 05:45

So recently, I unearthed my library of old Poser 4 shtuffs and started working it again.  Ideas flow and hey, I'm very creative when it comes to old graphics, I can make great stuff on my new pc with it!

My problem is that while Poser 4 works (I got the fixit in there to eliminate the "out of memory" issue) and most of my stuff works, select items are not working.  Specifically, random items I need to use obj mover to decode.  the mover works fine on most, but the ones I'm experiencing the below error message on, all of them I've needed the mover to decode.

I have used the seed files requested and own the proper things, but for some reason, some items refuse to work and I get the same error message each time.

"Caught C exception: exception access_violation trapped at 1b:47d299"

Something that bugs me is that I'm getting this consistently on a specific figure I know I've used in the past: Lemurtek's Wolfgang.  Every googled search I run, no one states they've had any issue like this.  I went to Lemurtek's home page, downloaded a new copy and still the same thing.  I know i've used him before.  Can anyone help on this?  

Lickitung 
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 640
Lemons 108
hearts 45

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Help! This Dinosaur (poser 4) Hates Me!

#2  ahjah 16 Nov 2009 11:14

Hi and welcome Lickitung
I don't know Poser 4 very good, because after starting with Poser2 and3, I skipped 4 and 5 making the big step to P6 and 7
But I remember similar problems with old P3.
I remember this error : "Caught C exception: exception access_violation trapped at 1b:47d299"  too good.
In most cases it seemed to be caused by the UV mapping of the .obj . Just load it into UV mapper (free version will do) and save it back with out any changes. I remember this helped in many cases. Also theres sometimes an issue with the .rsr files in the Geometries ( not the thumbnail .rsr in the libraries! ). If an item is shipped with an obj and an rsr file, it's best to simply delete  the rsr. Poser will generate a new, fresh one on first load of the item. (this rsr must be deleted after every change in the obj or Poser will read the old data from the rsr even if the obj is changed)
This solved most of my problems back then. but it doesn't allways work. Some items simply refused to work and kept crashing Poser3.
I hope this helps for P4, too... good luck

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#3  Tormie 16 Nov 2009 18:18

Hi Lickitung and welcome to Posetteforever ... I've no help on that issue but I think Ahjah said it all , he is an expert

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#4  Lickitung 16 Nov 2009 21:59

ahjah wrote: [View Post]
Hi and welcome Lickitung
I don't know Poser 4 very good, because after starting with Poser2 and3, I skipped 4 and 5 making the big step to P6 and 7
But I remember similar problems with old P3.
I remember this error : "Caught C exception: exception access_violation trapped at 1b:47d299"  too good.
In most cases it seemed to be caused by the UV mapping of the .obj . Just load it into UV mapper (free version will do) and save it back with out any changes. I remember this helped in many cases. Also theres sometimes an issue with the .rsr files in the Geometries ( not the thumbnail .rsr in the libraries! ). If an item is shipped with an obj and an rsr file, it's best to simply delete  the rsr. Poser will generate a new, fresh one on first load of the item. (this rsr must be deleted after every change in the obj or Poser will read the old data from the rsr even if the obj is changed)
This solved most of my problems back then. but it doesn't allways work. Some items simply refused to work and kept crashing Poser3.
I hope this helps for P4, too... good luck

Thanks for the fast response!  I hope this will fix it for me, several items I was looking forward to using are having this same problem.  As for the uvmapper, which do you recommend?  a website with alot of utility programs recommended the one at http://www.uvmapper.com/ but my AVG immediately flagged and blocked the page for known pfishing and other bad things.  Do you have a clean one you can recommend?

Lickitung 
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 640
Lemons 108
hearts 45

#5  Tormie 16 Nov 2009 22:01

I checked the site and it's ok for me, anyway I can't be attacked by widows' threats 'cause I'm on (almost...) a mac.

The direct link is

http://www.uvmapper.com/download/uvmpdemo.zip

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#6  posfan 16 Nov 2009 23:04

Deleting the RSR file in the OBJ folder should fix most problems - I remember that well from P4.

Thankfully I do have P6 - P8 now though mainly using P6 since it's in my native tongue.

blank.gif posfan Gender: Female
Frequent User
Frequent User

Tomatoes 5565
Lemons 998
hearts 217

#7  ahjah 16 Nov 2009 23:30

Tormie wrote: [View Post]
I checked the site and it's ok for me, anyway I can't be attacked by widows' threats 'cause I'm on (almost...) a mac.

The direct link is

I was thinking of the "classic" version
http://www.uvmapper.com/download/uvmapper030a.zip

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#8  Lickitung 17 Nov 2009 06:15

ahjah wrote: [View Post]
Tormie wrote: [View Post]

The direct link is

I was thinking of the "classic" version
http://www.uvmapper.com/download/uvmapper030a.zip

I used this 2nd link... it's not fixing them.  Niether is deleting the rsr's from geometries before starting Poser :/  Still getting the error.  Maybe if I updated Poser?  I seem to have the first 4.0 and other forums are showing up to 4.03 or something to that effect.  Anyone know where i can get that, or am I wishing on a star for that at this point?  

Lickitung 
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 640
Lemons 108
hearts 45

#9  posfan 17 Nov 2009 10:25

UVMapper won't delete the RSRs in the Geometries folder. You have to do that manually!!

Frequent User
Frequent User

Tomatoes 5565
Lemons 998
hearts 217

#10  ahjah 17 Nov 2009 11:33

Hi again!
As I wrote above, I never used P4 myself, but AFAIK from several topics from the forums around upgrading to 4.03 is highly recommendet and should fix a lot of problems ( you might have to reinstall the memory patch after this... I'm not shure.. ) The upgrade patch had been avaliable on the Courious Labs homepge for free, but I don't know it's avaliable somewhere, still. We'll have to wait for the P4 users if they know more... on smithMicro site is only support for P5+...

Last edited by ahjah on 17 Nov 2009 12:18; edited 1 time in total 
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#11  Lickitung 18 Nov 2009 03:05

Posfan: I was deleting them manually, I was saying that it wasn't fixing the problem for me.

I'm thinking of taking a page from your book, Ahja, and just jump to P7.  Then I can make use of Victoria and Micheal 4 and the mountain of freebies that are out there for them!  

Will it support all my old stuffs? :o

Lickitung 
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 640
Lemons 108
hearts 45

#12  posfan 18 Nov 2009 10:08

aww, sorry I misunderstood.

What old stuff? older figures from P4 etc? Yes, and with smooth polygons they will look better than before....

Frequent User
Frequent User

Tomatoes 5565
Lemons 998
hearts 217

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML