Subject: Linux
Replying to JanReinar question...

I passed my free time of the last two days messing with linux... I'm an old linux fan since about 7 years ago. Sometimes I try a new distribution and after a few weeks I abandon it. I installed the Mandrake 10 distribution and succeed at last in installing my damn USB adsl modem after a lot of kernel compiles...
I've to say that the internet connections seem a lot faster...

But as usual I think that I'll leave linux very soon because of the lack of software and the difficulty to set up the emulations for the windows programs...
The graphic interface (kde or gnome) is great but the simple process of cut&paste from an application to another doesn't work like in windows, it works only in the same "family" of packages, for example you can't copy an image form "the gimp" and paste it in another application.
My favourite banner and ads killer doesn't work, so I have to see sites like Renderosity or poserpros with commercial banners and I can't stand it (I've to pay about 40 dollar$ every year for norton internet security only to destroy the damn things :uboot:).
Linux is more complicated to set up than windows if the standard installation is not enough for you, sometimes you fix a thing and another thing stops to work... :no:

In any case if you like to work with the pc like in the old times (commodore 64 basic, zx spectrum, first Dos etc.) linux is for you. I installed it in a partition of the hard disk and now I'm playing with it. :yes:

I've a digital satellite receiver with the linux system in it :bigrinnin:, it's the dreambox 7000s and I make all sorts of strange things with it.

Last edited by Tormie on 15 May 2004 14:14; edited 2 times in total
Subject:
Thany very much! :bigrinnin: :bigrinnin:

Profile PM  
Subject:
http://www.slackware.org

Probably one of the best Linux distributions.....

well, from what i have found....... :thumbleft:

Subject:
I've it... :bigrinnin: It's the "for pro" distribution....

Subject:
Thanks people! :)

Profile PM  
Subject:
Hey Jan, try it... :bigrinnin: !!! We'll wait for you untill you re-install Window$ !!! :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Subject:
:-? 8-[ #-o :-#

Profile PM  

Page 1 of 1