Yippeee I finally did it

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Yippeee I finally did it

#1  messenger 31 Jan 2005 17:45

Hey guys

I finally did it ...yes I did, I finally got my website created and uploaded.  I think it all works.  Thought you might like to take a peek and let me know if you spot anything you think needs fixing or just some hints at anything you think would make it better.

http://www.messengerscreations.com

thought I might crack a champagne bottle or something...isn't that what they do in the art world when you have your first public showing....oh no wait ..that is when you launch a new ship....never mind

messenger Gender: Female
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2970
Lemons 2295
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  JanReinar 31 Jan 2005 17:59

Nice work Angie!  

blank.gif JanReinar Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

#3  Tormie 31 Jan 2005 19:45

Yeah ! I'll watch it soon   !!! Angie, if you want to gice me a little 88x32 jpg banner for your site I'll put it in our rotating banners table on the front page !!

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#4  tazman 31 Jan 2005 23:01

Great site Angie. Love you pictures          

Reminds me I must someday actually get my site up and not keep deleting it. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't paying for it.    

The bananas rock once more.

tazman Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2240
Lemons 1346
hearts 0

Post Re: Yippeee I finally did it

#5  pangor 01 Feb 2005 00:00

I just took a look at your website.  It has a good look.

One problem that i has was the menu on the left side on the main page (the writing in red), didn't work.  I took a look at the page's source and found that the HREF tags for the menu are in the blocks of commented out code.

The buttons on the bottom of the page did work.

Oh, and on your Favorites page, I found a new place to visit.

Pangor

pangor 

#6  Nex 01 Feb 2005 07:44

Image 51 is a personal favorite, I was hoping you had large version of it...the gal looks totaly
Metal!...Bravo on your site             

us.png Nex Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1940
Lemons 1244
hearts 110

#7  messenger 02 Feb 2005 17:54

Thanks you guys....I knew I could rely on you to have a look for anything that didn't work.

Pangor...you say the writing in red didn't work...did you mean the links on the home page...I have checked them out and they seem to be working for me...I use frontpage and it puts the code in automatically...I haven't got that far to be able to do the coding myself yet.  I am glad you found a new site.

By the way if any of you want to put a link to your website on my links page just send me the url and I will add it on.

Tormie..I will sort out a banner for you and send it over thanks.

Nex..I am glad you liked that one I had fun doing it...all it was a reflect map that I played around with as a body tex..

angie

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2970
Lemons 2295
hearts 0

#8  pangor 02 Feb 2005 18:18

That explains that.  If the red links are written using the features of frontpage, then they will work for people using Internet Explorer, but not for other browsers that don't use the IE rendering engine.  I viewed your site using Mozilla, it would not have worked with any of the other browsers that I use on the internet either.

Pangor

pangor 

#9  messenger 02 Feb 2005 18:28

Hey Pangor..thanks for telling me that ..I didn't know that frontpage used stuff that other browsers would not recognise.  I will make sure that at least they have other buttons that will work on all the pages anyway.  Thanks for the help

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2970
Lemons 2295
hearts 0

#10  Tormie 02 Feb 2005 18:38

If you want to send me (or Pangor...   ) the html page it'll be fixed   ...

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#11  pangor 02 Feb 2005 18:46

I have just started working on it.

Pangor

pangor 

#12  messenger 02 Feb 2005 18:55

pangor how do you mean you have just started working on it .....and tormie I just tried to send it to you in an attachment but it wouldn't let me send it because it had a html code on the end.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2970
Lemons 2295
hearts 0

#13  pangor 02 Feb 2005 19:27

I used the "Page Source" menu option of Mozilla to look the the html code of the page.  I then used the "Save Page As" menu option of the html source window to save a local copy of it to disk.  I am now trying to tighten up the conditional blocks so that the page will still work the same in IE and the links will also work with other browsers.

This is a habit that I got into from working with open source software.  If you detect a problem that you are able to fix, fix it and then send a copy of it or a patch file back to the developer of the software.  In this case I was going to try to fix the html code and send you a copy of it.  If you feel that I have overstepped by bounds, let me know and I will stop.

Pangor

pangor 

#14  messenger 02 Feb 2005 19:37

No that is fine...I was just worried that there was a way to hack into my site...I hear so much about people having their site hacked into and messed up I thought there was something I was going to have to learn about safeguarding my site.   Just as a thought I have been looking at trying to stop people right clicking on my pictures to save them off the site.  The only problem is that each picture loads into a different page when you click on them to view them and I don't know how to apply the no right click on those pages...any ideas?

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2970
Lemons 2295
hearts 0

#15  pangor 02 Feb 2005 21:32

messenger";p="18173 wrote: 
Just as a thought I have been looking at trying to stop people right clicking on my pictures to save them off the site.

I have not tried to diable rightclicking the images.  I assume that you need to use javascript to do it.

I have attached a copy of your index.html page that I have updated.

The formatting of the html  generated by Microsoft FrontPage 6.0 is a mess, but then most machine generated html code is messy and I am used to work with hand coded pages.  That said, I made the most minimal needed for supporting internet explorer, other graphical browsers and text mode browsers.  The modified code should render to the same look as the original does.

To paraphrase Scotty:  Writing the modificatins was easy, reading FrontPage html code was hard!

The original code provided two version of the menu for the left side of the page.  If the browser is compatible with frontpage, it provides a text menu with appropriate HREF tags.  If the browser is graphical but not compatible with frontpage, it provides the text of the menu in the forms of prerendered images but failed to provide the HREF tags, so they were not functional links.  For text based browsers, the menu did not work.

The modified code is unchanged for frontpage compatible browsers.  For graphical browsers not compatible with frontpage, the menu now has working HREF tags.   For text based browsers, the menu text is now and links are now functional.  I also added a "BASE HREF" tag that links to your website so that you can work with an off line copy of the page and preview it using the on-line copy of the images and links.  I use that for testing the modified page with your actual website while the page was still on my  harddrive.

Pangor

Last edited by pangor on 02 Feb 2005 21:40; edited 1 time in total 
 pangor 

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Finally! A Clothing Converter That's Free!... hanzoushinrei Interesting links 61 14 Jul 2007 18:08 View latest post
Nik

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next