This is feels strange.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post This is feels strange.

#1  pangor 01 Feb 2005 22:19

This is like having to throw you you favorite old chair that was soooo much more confortable that any others you have.

Yesterday, my workstation's video monitor broke.  It happened suddenly, it was working normally until I head a crackling sound and the screen went black.  I replaced it with an older monitor that I had in storage.  The maximun screen resolution of the replacement monitor is not as great as the one that it is replacing and the replacement monitor has a very different color temprature, brightness, and contrast range, not to mention the face of the its picture tube is rounder that the one that it is replacing.

So what?  Just adjust the settings.  Well I did, and I am still fine tuning those setting.  There is also the adjustment needed to the software.  Reconfiguring X Windows and the frame buffer settings was a breeze.  Edit the boot script so that it knows the correct resolution to run the framebuffer at and edit the X Windows configuration to add a new monitor section with the refresh setting of the replacement monitor and set that monitor section as being the default one to be use when starting up X.  ...and I was up and running in less than five minutes.  MS Windows is a different story, I am still having problems making it handle the replacement monitor correctly.  Until I get Windows convinced that the monitor can work at 1024x768, I am stuck with a 640x480 resolution screen when running Windows.

I have found that after eight year or so of using it, I have become so used to the feel of that monitor that this one just feels so strange to me.  This is a good monitor and was a splendid one when it was new, so I am happy with it.   BUT  I miss my old "chair"!

Pangor

pangor 

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  Tormie 01 Feb 2005 22:24

I'm not using linux because, at last, I use more M$ application all the time, but I've my mandrake and slackware discs here...

I put my eyes on a 19'' lcd monitor at a discount price here, less than 300 €... Maybe   ...

My actual 17'' monitor works well but it's a very cheap thing, it has a very low refresh rate, I'm not totally convinced about Lcd monitors...

Last edited by Tormie on 01 Feb 2005 22:25; edited 1 time in total 
it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#3  Ozymandias Jones 24 Mar 2005 15:11

TORMENTOR";p="18133 wrote: 
I put my eyes on a 19'' lcd monitor at a discount price here, less than 300 €... Maybe   ...

My actual 17'' monitor works well but it's a very cheap thing, it has a very low refresh rate, I'm not totally convinced about Lcd monitors...

I use a Laptop now for everything with a LCD screen and would never go back. My next desktop will have LCD.

@ pangor... I know what you mean. It only takes a little change to make the whole system feel unfamiliar and wierd. We're strange creatures of habit really

Computer Lie #1: You'll never use all that disk space.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

blank.gif Ozymandias Jones Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 12510
Lemons 7905
hearts 10

#4  pangor 24 Mar 2005 15:20

How true.   By now I have gotten over the strangeness, but I still miss the extra screen space.

Pangor

PS. I just corrected some typos include the incorrectly spelling "Pangor"  

Last edited by pangor on 25 Mar 2005 04:59; edited 1 time in total 
 pangor 

#5  Posy 24 Mar 2005 15:20

Will that accomplish your objective?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#6  Poserkatz 24 Mar 2005 23:17

I never will change my running system  
By the way, no money for upgrading = no upgrading = no stress = happyness  

Poserkatz Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2580
Lemons 1762
hearts 0

#7  Tormie 25 Mar 2005 00:08

I upgraded a little my system 2 weeks ago (bread and water for dinner for the next three months     ... )

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#8  tda42 25 Mar 2005 01:51

Do what I did. Buy a high end and wait for it to go out of date in 6 months.
Have you tried a HD TV for a monitor? Mine looks great on a 42 inch Plasma. A guy I know has one and we hooked it up to it. Not to shabby.

Last edited by tda42 on 25 Mar 2005 01:52; edited 1 time in total 
blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#9  Posy 25 Mar 2005 01:51

I forgot what we were talking about.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#10  guiltypleasures 25 Mar 2005 03:21

It's okay Posy, I"m sure you would rather be doing Tormies laundry than listening to us ramble on  

I know what you mean Pangor, I can't stand even using another computer because it feels so strange. I used to use my bf's computer sometimes and I hated it, nothing seemed right, couldn't find stuff even though it really wasn't setup much different, but it just wasn't "my old chair" lol

About monitors, I picked up a used 19 in monitor at a second hand store (Value Village) for about 7 bucks, best money I've spent, still using the monitor after almot a year and it works great.  

blank.gif guiltypleasures Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#11  Posy 25 Mar 2005 03:21

By now you do not do use his or her bf's computer anymore?  Why do you hate it nothing seemed right could not find stuff even though it really was not setup much different but it just was not his or her old chair lol About monitors he or she picked up a used 19 in monitor at a second hand store Value Village for about 7 bucks best money he or she have spent still using the monitor after almot a year and it works great so much?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#12  guiltypleasures 25 Mar 2005 03:22

By george I think you've got it Posy  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#13  Posy 25 Mar 2005 03:22

Me? What does "it" refer to?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#14  pangor 25 Mar 2005 03:47

Seven bucks?  That IS a bargin!

Pangor

pangor 

#15  guiltypleasures 25 Mar 2005 03:51

sure was  My bf got a 17 in monitor at another goodwill about a year before for 20.00 and we thought that was a great deal

Just goes to show you the old adage, one man's junk is another man's treasures. I love going to the goodwills and garage sales, I find all kinds of fun and useful things at a quarter of the cost. Best things I find are things you can't get at the stores any more, maybe someday I'll find something that will make me rich lol

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Something strange... Tormie Shebeen, the Staff forum 2 10 Nov 2007 21:21 View latest post
tda42
No new posts Strange topic EllPro The Posette Playground 2 15 Oct 2005 00:21 View latest post
No new posts Strange dream pangor The Posetteforever diary 18 06 Jan 2006 22:48 View latest post
No new posts Strange things guiltypleasures Whip The Admins... 24 27 Feb 2004 21:12 View latest post
tda42
No new posts Forum link acting strange for me.... Hawktoey Whip The Admins... 3 19 Jan 2005 22:28 View latest post
Hawktoey

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next