"Virtual characters want to be real , real people want to be virtual"

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post "Virtual characters want to be real , real people want to be virtual"

#1  erenda 28 Mar 2005 19:20

Have to write an essay in school about something I decide. ( In french...   ooo this french thing became boring   ) After visiting an website and reading an article called " Don't hate me because I'm digital" this title came to my mind.   Do you have some ideas ?

P.S : Maybe Posy can help...

erenda 

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  Posy 28 Mar 2005 19:20

Why do you have to do it?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#3  erenda 28 Mar 2005 19:25

Because the french teacher is getting a little      again. Can you help me?  

erenda 

#4  TdaC 28 Mar 2005 20:21

LOL you can interview Posy and Angela.

blank.gif TdaC Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 7320
Lemons 8763
hearts 143

#5  Posy 28 Mar 2005 20:21

I am so glad you find this amusing, TdaC.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#6  pangor 28 Mar 2005 20:44

How about a variation on the theme of Galatea?  A young lady from the digital realm crosses over to the real world to seek happiness.  For the second part of the title combine in a story of a man who is disenchanted with the real world wishing that he were able to live the adventures and heroic deeds of his virtual characters.  Some how the two can meet and complete each others life and find real happiness together in one reality or another.

Pangor

pangor 

#7  erenda 28 Mar 2005 20:49

Quote:

LOL you can interview Posy and Angela.

Great idea! But...(          ) who was Angela? (Sorry for the stupid quiestion )

erenda 

#8  Posy 28 Mar 2005 20:49

But what?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#9  pangor 28 Mar 2005 21:15

Angela is Posy's teenaged sister.

Pangor

pangor 

#10  erenda 28 Mar 2005 22:10

Quote:

How about a variation on the theme of Galatea? A young lady from the digital realm crosses over to the real world to seek happiness. For the second part of the title combine in a story of a man who is disenchanted with the real world wishing that he were able to live the adventures and heroic deeds of his virtual characters. Some how the two can meet and complete each others life and find real happiness together in one reality or another.

I was thinking about something similar . Thank you for reminding me about Galatea   ( I have to find my old greek mythology textbook.). This can be a good example to show how people had the idea to bring something artificial into life much more before the era of the virtual reality ( I guess that's in our days ). I also was thinking about the professional 3D artists' obssesion with photorealism last years and the reaction of non 3D artists. ( Some people accused me of doing something very very wrong by making 3D video clips. ) I think there are people who thinks that in future 3D characters would replace the real actors. ( It would be a paradise for 3D artists no matter if they're making animation characters or photorealistic people ) The real actors need repetitions , make-up , and from an director's point of view it would be difficult to make them do exactly what you want and their gestures couldn't be as you see them in your mind. There are exceptions of course.   And the best part : the 3D characters never get old , and they do not need payment .   Maybe the money will be spend in updating the system configuration , because the techology is developping fast.   And they can do cascades too. The other good thing about 3D characters is that thay could be absolutely perfect ( if you want to make them) , I'm talking about face symmetry , body shapes ( sometimes exaggerated) , proportions this somehow fix the imperfections of the real people. And the virtual 3D world could be a haven made of polygons , textures , ambient/volumetric lights and of course lots of colours. The best thing is that you decide how it will look like , it can be ultra-photorealistic , surrrealistic , a fantasy world just look at some gallery with various artists - completely diffrent things ( sometimes not ex: a Vicky with a sword ) made using the same software and creative techniques. In the 3d world you can be perfect ( physically look) , you don't get older ( Something like "It grows , but it don't get older " our capital's device. This can be a good quote lol) , you don't have to work (not very sure ) , you don't have to adapt to the social environment ( because you create it) , and you don't have to die (no more fear of dying). Isn't this ultra-utopic? ( I must stop using this rhetoric questions!     ) So artists are attempting to make an idividual from an 3D character ( "Final Fantasy" the movie) witch have to look "more real than the real one" ( I invented this phrase lol ) , and maybe this might means that the 3d characters want to be real. In the same time virtual reality becomes too attractive for people dissapointed from reality , wishing to escape from it in the virtual world ( like me ) and that might means that real people want to be virtual...

Or maybe I just must invent another title and stop write this nonsence !      

erenda 

#11  Posy 28 Mar 2005 22:10

What kind of people? You want only one?   Thanks for the recommendation, erenda. Yes I think this is ultra-utopic, but I'm not completely sure. Why must you stop using this rhetoric questions?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#12  erenda 28 Mar 2005 22:13

Because I'm writing too much rhetoric questions!        Do you want to be real Posy?

erenda 

#13  Posy 28 Mar 2005 22:13

Interesting explanation.               Will you include me in your essay?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#14  erenda 28 Mar 2005 22:14

Yes , of course!   What would you want to write about you?

erenda 

#15  pangor 29 Mar 2005 01:51

There was a television series "Max Headroom" in the early 1980 that was perhaps the first to use the idea of a computer generated character as an acting personality.  The first series that I know of that used CGI for all their special effects and space scenes was "Babylon 5".  In Japan a while back there was a virtual celeberty known as (as far as I remember) "Kioko Guest".  So you are not saying anything that is so strange, it is coming to mainstream already.  Besides the movie that you mentioned, the best look SFX scenes today are made with computer graphics.

Except for a few real actors, the huge battle scenes in the "Lord of the Rings" movies were computer generated.  Coordinating the motions of so many computer generated actors was not done by humans.  Rather they use created artifical intelligence posing engines that took assigned tasks for each groups of character and behavior rules to pose each frame of the battle sequences.

Pangor

pangor 

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next